• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Sensitivity Speakers

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't mention budget.
I have Tune Audio Anima horns, which are 109dB/watt so very efficient.
They sound great to me.
DSC01456.jpg

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But class d amplifier is neither as good as class AB nor class A .
And high wattage class AB costs much higher which in case of class A , increases manifold.

Class D is every bit as good as AB, in every respect I can think of. As to Class A, why would anyone even consider a Class A amplifier these days? It does nothing that can't be done with AB or D, and consumes a huge amount of power in doing it.

S.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tekton Design makes high sensitivity speakers.

Tekton speakers may have above average sensitivity. But, as with Klipsch, independent testing has shown that Tektons can fall well short of sensitivity claims. Per John Atkinson:

The Enxzo XL's specified sensitivity is an extraordinary 96.5dB/W/m; my estimated value was 90.6dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is much lower but still significantly and usefully higher than the average of all the speakers I have measured, which is between 87 and 88dB(B).

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-enzo-xl-loudspeaker-measurements

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And high wattage class AB costs much higher which in case of class A , increases manifold.
Thats no longer the case. I encourage you to look at Amir's amplifier index and you will see some class D amps in the top quartile for performance. Also there are amp vendors on this site selling compelling class D amplifiers at competitive prices with class AB in terms of quality with more power.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Patently untrue. Class D is just fine, if you get a half decent amp. Class A is pretty trash for power amp purposes because of the horrid efficiency (and frankly pretty awful distortion characteristics because of the lack of push-pull).

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Patently untrue. Class D is just fine, if you get a half decent amp. Class A is pretty trash for power amp purposes because of the horrid efficiency (and frankly pretty awful distortion characteristics because of the lack of push-pull).
A Class A amplifier doesn't have to be single ended, it can, and most are, push pull. The main issue, apart from shocking inefficiency, is that a true Class A amplifier is very much current limited, and if required to provide high current either goes into Class AB, in which case it's no longer a Class A amplifier, or it can't provide the extra current so distorts horribly.

There's really no benefit to Class A other than heat in winter.

S

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
High sensitivity speakers play well through low wattage amplifiers . And the low wattage amplifier costs much lesser .
??? o_O
This is not the 1970s any more. Amplifier power is cheap as chips.

A Behringer iNuke NU6000 used to sell for about 10% of your current speaker budget. 1500 W / 8 ohm x2. No doubt not the last word in refinement (neither in sonics nor in fan noise), but if you had a sub array to drive these may have been just the ticket.

I have to ask - what sort of levels in what kind of room size and distance do you require? Must be pretty big either way.

For another candidate, I would look at JBL's SRX835 as well. They're also making an active version SRX835P with a total combined amplifier power of 1500 W continuous, but I would be worried that their noise level may be more up to PA standards than hi-fi ones. We are talking 137 dB of max SPL after all. These are good for concerts with several hundred people outdoors, apparently. (Ah, pre-Coronavirus times...)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tekton Design makes high sensitivity speakers.
I started comparing spec vs measuring sensitivity due to an argument about a Tekton speaker. I know the tweeter model they use, and their spec is much higher than the tweeter’s data sheet, so that high just isn’t possible. And as seen in the Stereophile review(s), they overstate sensitivity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom