• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Sensitivity Speakers

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I chose 87dB sensitivity as the thresh-hold, just to narrow down a lot of options...

1614321675312.png

Using MZKM spreadsheet:
https://sites.google.com/view/speaker-headphone-data/speakers/speaker-selector

Rating of 3 = Amir recommended = relaxed/lounging panther
Rating of 4 = Amir's highly recommended = golfing/soccer panther

Hope that helps.

Also, you didn't specify any budget?

Wombat

Master Contributor
dB per metre or 4 feet? :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
I get the impression that audiophiles don't like high-efficiency speakers. Are they too accustomed to the lower efficiency ones?

OP
S

S. Ghosh

I get the impression that audiophiles don't like high-efficiency speakers. Are they too accustomed to the lower efficiency ones?
High sensitivity speakers play well through low wattage amplifiers . And the low wattage amplifier costs much lesser .

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
WANT TO KNOW THE TRUE SOUND QUALITY ABOUT OMEGA & KLIPSCH
SPEAKERS WHICH ARE OF HIGH SENSITIVITY .
Don't know much about Omega, but I would avoid Klipsch.

Amir's review of R-41M:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m-bookshelf-speaker-review.11566/#post-332027
No chance to fix with EQ, avoid.

Amir's review of RP-600M:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/#post-354117
These are salvageable with EQ....but I wouldn't buy anyway.

Also, read this post to understand sensitivity advertised vs measured:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ker-sensitivity-advertised-vs-measured.14072/
@Sancus beat me to it ;)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That may well be the case, but I think that the compromises that have to be made to get high sensitivity also result in worse performance.

1) High sensitivity requires lightweight cones which are more difficult to make rigid, so have a worse breakup behaviour resulting in coloration. This can be mitigated somewhat by using exotic i.e. expensive materials, and/or stronger magnets, which in themselves cause other issues.

2) Horn loading is another way of achieving high sensitivity, but unless the horn is very large, bass will be limited, and any folding results in coloration.

3) Crossovers tend to be simple, as complex crossovers don't help sensitivity, and consequently slopes are low and out of band attenuation less than ideal, especially when using a lightweight paper cone as in 1) above.

4) Removing the need for high sensitivity allows more scope in design, given that high power is cheap and clean, although the problem of heat, compression and longevity/reliability becomes more serious when a loudspeaker is required to take more power.

With active 'speakers and Class D amplification, there's little incentive for high sensitivity, so more emphasis can be placed on accuracy.

S

OP
S

S. Ghosh

That may well be the case, but I think that the compromises that have to be made to get high sensitivity also result in worse performance.

1) High sensitivity requires lightweight cones which are more difficult to make rigid, so have a worse breakup behaviour resulting in coloration. This can be mitigated somewhat by using exotic i.e. expensive materials, and/or stronger magnets, which in themselves cause other issues.

2) Horn loading is another way of achieving high sensitivity, but unless the horn is very large, bass will be limited, and any folding results in coloration.

3) Crossovers tend to be simple, as complex crossovers don't help sensitivity, and consequently slopes are low and out of band attenuation less than ideal, especially when using a lightweight paper cone as in 1) above.

4) Removing the need for high sensitivity allows more scope in design, given that high power is cheap and clean, although the problem of heat, compression and longevity/reliability becomes more serious when a loudspeaker is required to take more power.

With active 'speakers and Class D amplification, there's little incentive for high sensitivity, so more emphasis can be placed on accuracy.

S
But class d amplifier is neither as good as class AB nor class A .
And high wattage class AB costs much higher which in case of class A , increases manifold.

Top Bottom