• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High sample rate SPDIF from HDMI by going via I2S?

lightrush

Hey all, please excuse my noobness.

I recently got this HDMI extractor because Netflix on Android refuses playback via a USB DAC. I tested it and all works well. It plays by the rules and outputs at 48K on the coaxial SPDIF.

Then I read what the I2S output is used for and the following scheme popped up in my head. If the I2S output is using higher sample rate, is there anything preventing me from connecting it to an I2S-to-SPDIF module like this one and thus getting higher sample rate at that module's SPDIF than the SPDIF of the extractor?

Rjharle

Hey all, please excuse my noobness.

I recently got this HDMI extractor because Netflix on Android refuses playback via a USB DAC. I tested it and all works well. It plays by the rules and outputs at 48K on the coaxial SPDIF.

Then I read what the I2S output is used for and the following scheme popped up in my head. If the I2S output is using higher sample rate, is there anything preventing me from connecting it to an I2S-to-SPDIF module like this one and thus getting higher sample rate at that module's SPDIF than the SPDIF of the extractor?
I have the same extractor, but I use it for 2 channel audio only the SPDIF out gives me 192/24 the I2s is still 2 channels, and I'm still checking it. It could be higher but not having any standards I don't know what it will end up being. However, this isn't going to work for your USB issue and for Netflix don't you need multichannel 5.1 etc.

If you need a USB out to Optical/Coaxial/I2s try this:

Please keep in mind it will still only be 2 channels but with higher res/bit out. via I2s maybe?

Top Bottom