• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-Resolution Vinyl Disc Playback, How do you EQ older discs

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm sure there may be better ways to recover the audio from my vinyl but (at my price point) the CD is clearly the way to go for the records that have CD re-masters.
The problem with a lot of older recordings is the condition of the master tape. When polyester backed tape appeared, that's when the trouble started. Higher output formulations soon followed, but polyester picks up moisture over time which can cause the formulation to shed on tape guides and heads. So for quite a number of older recordings, the LP will sound more lively than the CD reissue purely on account of the condition of the master. One would hope that the masters of more popular titles would get better treatment, such as storage in a humidity controlled room...

Top Bottom