• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Resolution Audio?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Is there a transcript?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it when I viewed this on youtube the next suggested video is about the Battle of the Coral sea? And I've neither been looking at military topics lately or anything related to navies. I expected to see where the USS HiRes was part of the action.

gvl

Major Contributor
I got "Bruce Lee at the 1967 Long Beach Torunament". Was Bruce an audiophile?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
unless u change a bit quantization value to represent smaller dB, there is no HiRes sound for me. same CD sound with elevated volume ceiling.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could listen to (or read) Mark Waldrep all day, he is one of those audio writers (like the late and missed Peter Aczel) who is an articulate, informed and straight talking critic who see's through all the marketing and isn't swayed by the latest fashionable idea of the moment. Long may he continue with his blog and writing.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeh, he's one of the good ones. His final comments on MQA didn't seem quite accurate though, i.e. he forgot to mention that the supersonic content is lossily compressed.

OP
W

W2S

Human nature to want the best?

Which marketing departments play on

Let your ears be the final Judge? as everything else is an opinion

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yeh, he's one of the good ones. His final comments on MQA didn't seem quite accurate though, i.e. he forgot to mention that the supersonic content is lossily compressed.

That may not matter (supersonics not reproduced accurately) that much as you can't hear it anyway ?
As Waldrep states most recordings don't even need/reach 11 bits accuracy the bit reduction (when coming from 24 bit masters) may not be as problematic.

What I find interesting is that Waldrep leaves a small door open and said that you can't hear differences between hires (sorry master quality) and CD and that nobody really can.
BUT he found he did not suffer from listening fatigue when working all day listening/working with hires but is exhausted after fiddeling all day with 'normal resolution' recordings.

This coincides with things most audiophiles claim as well. That it is 'easier' to listen to, less strained.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That may not matter (supersonics not reproduced accurately) that much as you can't hear it anyway ?
As Waldrep states most recordings don't even need/reach 11 bits accuracy the bit reduction (when coming from 24 bit masters) may not be as problematic.

What I find interesting is that Waldrep leaves a small door open and said that you can't hear differences between hires (sorry master quality) and CD and that nobody really can.
BUT he found he did not suffer from listening fatigue when working all day listening/working with hires but is exhausted after fiddeling all day with 'normal resolution' recordings.

This coincides with things most audiophiles claim as well. That it is 'easier' to listen to, less strained.
We need a blind mastering test. You work with files, and rate fatigue at the end of each day for a couple weeks. Yet you don't know if you are using 44.1 or 96 k files. :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would constitute a good test.

OP
W

W2S

Maybe some one could hold a blind music test HiRes vs DSD vs DXD vs MSQ and Flac and any other format some one wants to add

That would be interesting

OP
W

W2S

Or Just a thought that we make a list of test files that people can use to judge the quality of Audio but also for Equipment we have or are looking to purchase?

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
He makes total sense. He's nicely saying pretty much everything marketed as hi rez media/files is an unethical scam. I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing recorded analog ever needs more than 16 bits, period!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Mark Waldrep posted some high res files and asked people if they could identify them in a blind comparison test, expecting people to be able to recognise true high res audio, he took it on the chin when the results basically found people couldn't tell the difference. I thought his readiness to accept the evidence and to avoid misleading his readers or to try and spin some BS story to explain it all away showed integrity and a genuine respect for his readers. If only we had more Waldrep's.

Top Bottom