• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High resolution audio vs. CD: A null-test

Ata

Forum Donor

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Never noticed that, but there are a huge number of different accents in English, even in England. 50 years ago accents varied from village to village but the BBC insisted on accent free "Oxford English", now regional accents abound and young people try to emulate their hero's accent!
I am always impressed how well German, Dutch and Scandinavian people speak English.
I am reasonably fluent in spoken French but don't write it with much confidence.
I am bad at slowly adopting the accent and mannerisms of people I am talking to sometimes. I don't know why, but it did help me a lot with my foreign language pronunciation.

French I think is my favorite spoken language. And much of it that I enjoy are the parts that are unspoken. Its the Mannerisms and Gestures that go along with it. Its like Facial expressions are apart of the Language along with hand movements. But most of what I see is in the movies and of course, real life is different then the movies.

I also noticed what you talked about the BBC. I also have noticed that on Television in Europe, They seem to have this single style of speaking that the general public does not adhere too. I notice this most in German as the Broadcasts of women speaking german sounds almost monotone and lifeless and almost robotic and methodical. But when you hear German girls talk about stuff on youtube, its like a whole other language. There is life in it! And it just sounds as smooth as tube preamps when its normally spoken in conversation.

Its weird to me, but I remember old TV News in Canada. It was so informal it was fun to watch. But that has really changed as of late. Its more like watching a Drama TV Soap opera, where every word seems forced. Its just not natural.

And French Music. I love the old stuff. It just has this kind of life to it. Kind of like French culinary mastery. Instead of saying Base for soups or stock, they say Mirepoix' and have so many other names to give the air of elegance to cooking.

Of course, I thank them Greatly for the Curse words. Those are my favorite words of all. And I think that's why they say "Pardon My French" :)

Above all, I adore French Industrial design. Citroen knew what it was doing. Peugeot? It always looked like something from the East Block. I never cared for some of the cars I have seen here stateside. The waggon and the saloon were GHASTLY! Though they did make some FINE small cars. Their strong point I assume.

And who can forget Focal. I'm guilty of wanting it just for the aesthetics and the looks. But I think I have gone on long enough about my love of Europe.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
by the way, English is a Germanic language…
Bullshit! REALLY?

I'm calling up my Buddy who who lives in the U.K Tonight (Some small town, forgot the name) and am going to ask for PROOF! I know he speaks English, but his accsent is SO hard core, its hard to get him sometimes. I think he sounds better when he has had a few.

I just never heard about english being Germanic. But as most can tell, I'm not really the brightest light bulb.

Addicted to Fun and Learning
sorry, that is right. It's hard to think of english as the lowest form of the germanic languages but there you go.
https://lrc.la.utexas.edu/eieol/engol

Bullshit! REALLY?

I'm calling up my Buddy who who lives in the U.K Tonight (Some small town, forgot the name) and am going to ask for PROOF! I know he speaks English, but his accsent is SO hard core, its hard to get him sometimes. I think he sounds better when he has had a few.

I just never heard about english being Germanic. But as most can tell, I'm not really the brightest light bulb.

Last edited:

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Germanic
English: father
German: Vater
Gothic: fadar
Italic
Latin: pater
Oscan: patír
Hellenic
Greek: πατήρ (pater)
Indic
Sanskrit: pitár-

it starts to make sense when you listen to a conversation in a bar.
its syntax is remarkably similar. You can hear it when the person asks the other what they want to drink.

Where it gets weird?
Scottish is germanic, but Irish is not? Its celtic?
Celtic is a romance language?

Celts seem to have their own origin story separate from the Scottish.
But then according to others, Scottish is indeed a sister langage?

no wonder people major in mathematics , science and engineering.

supposedly red hair is a fifty thousand year adaptation to a climate and supposedly Irish people have Red hair because of the lack of sunlight.

So by that metric? Everyone should be a Redhead in about 49,910 years!

since just about everyone spends the majority of their time indoors with a light source that does not produce any vitamin D. A stark contrast to incandescent bulbs.

To illustrate this, according to the BBC and others; Celtic people,
  1. Originated from Africa,
  2. Went to Poundland.
  3. Purchased Big Clive LED's, that lasted at least 10,000 years.
  4. Decided to farm but only at night.

It been about 2 days. And after reading more about the Irish Potato Famine, I'm not really all that cheery anymore.
The idea, that people starve and died by the millions to appease some magic sky fairy, and due to the lack of education and a superfluous amount of pride angers me.

I know this was the 1800's, but you would think people would have got their head on right. All this marvelous inventions at the time, and they were arguing about Quaker Oats? Its comical how you can give a person a tool such as a brain, yet, it goes unused.

European history in all its marvels seem to have such sad times that could have been prevented. All the tools were there. Trade was in full swing in the British Empire. Yet... due to petty arguments and ridiculous human contravacies, more then 2,000,000 dead. And yet. this is just a blip on the timeline of humanity.

The bellow was a lot more hilarious till you understand the real reason for the red hair is not sunlight consumption.

But lets pretend anyways.
screenshot-www.nationsonline.org-2021.09.16-09_09_50.png

Explanation?

irish.png

Reality?
Eat a Balanced nutritious diet. And don't be illiterate.
science.gif

Attachments

• 1631863745721.png
    1631863745721.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 49

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its comical how you can give a person a tool such as a brain, yet, it goes unused.
The brain is magnificent but it needs input data to process.
That is called education and if children and adults are convincingly told complete bollox by people they are taught to respect they start off their reasoning based on complete bollox and the result of the complex society based on complete bollox is, indeed, complete bollox.

This explains a lot of primitive societies.
It also explains why, despite actual facts being readily available to almost everybody these days, a lot of people completely misconstrue or misinterpret the facts, or even simply deny them, because of their early education/indoctrination as children.

Quite depressing really.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It also explains why, despite actual facts being readily available to almopst everybody these days, a lot of people completely misconstrue or interpret the facts, or even simply deny them
Electronics really changed my life and thinking. The study forced me to realize I knew very little and still know very little and that I should be alert and pay attention. The post secondary instructors apparently knew this and had little time for it as they simply pushed on with instruction as if time is the most valuable thing. I think more people should be taught the electronics core. In high school in Canada they treat the electronics study like some sort of special class, make students feel as if they are getting special classes only for the privileged and so student enrolment is decreased compared to other classes.

Top Bottom