• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-resolution audio sites reputation

classy cheapo

Following this transcoding exercise I would like to share my lessons learned.

All 3 hi-res audio files (DSF 256, DSF 64 and FLAC 192) offered for transcoding were downloaded from one of the high-resolultion sites. They were provided as a proof that there is audible difference between these formats themselves and nowhere it was stated that the difference could be because of encoding parameters. And indeed, even noob like me was able to hear the difference during blind tests!
This naturally boosted my self esteem leading to quiet hope that I have finally uncovered some well hidden talent in my otherwise unremarkable personality.:D

Not for long, though, I was enjoying my happiness hormones. Along comes one of this forum's warriors, tells me to wait until he finishes his dinner and transcodes one of the files to WAV 44.1 kHz in a way that I suddenly cannot tell the difference between it and the cream of the crop DSF 256 version.

This leads me to one quite definite conclusion: engineers of these high-resolultion sites know very well what they are doing. :rolleyes:

I would be very grateful if someone could analyze 3 given hi-res files to find out what could be the cause of perception differences between them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom