• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High quality media player for Android

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@phoenixsong for a QC DAC try with Neutron player, Xiaomi usually does good regarding sound implementation. Viper is quite old and not that great. Unfortunately their is no compensation for output power and for that you do need additional Amp.

High, unfortunately there doesn't exist any app for convolution without the need of root.
The hiby r6 player provides convolution plugin within the hiby player app but it's not available in the standalone android app.
I assume the r6/r8 are using a rooted android or a somewhat accustomized version to realize this function, so it may not work with a conventional unrooted android running on usual smartphones.
If someone uploads the plugin of his hiby r6/r8 dap, we will be able to evaluate it.
With the " total commander" app just search for hiby or "hiby music" to find the apk and then select "open as zip".
The convolution plugin should be placed in "assets">"plugins"> in both folders there something named like "convolution.so". (Assumed the plugin has been already donwloaded in the plugin-section of the hiby music app)

0bs3rv3r

I am surprised that noone has mentioned Poweramp. It also has it's own hires USB audio drivers and I like the interface - much better than Neutron player.

Can anybody compare Poweramp to UAPP, as I am considering trying UAPP after reading this thread.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Very interesting information.

Since Spotify not released lossless yet, I have so far not integrated any of the solutions presented in this thread. . Feels a bit pointless at the moment, but as soon as Spotify gets lossless. IF Spotify comes with lossless is probably best said.

In any case, I read this thread and follow it with interest. Good job everyone with ideas, suggestions and solutions.:)

I'm so to speak stand by ..

January 1, 2022 if Spotify does not come with lossless as they said would come in 2021, it will be Qobuz for me.:)

... 77 days left and the clock is ticking ...

Right now old school. CDs I found at various flea markets. Mostly a fun thing. For me, streaming is the main source of music, really.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Ah, the joys of a fragmented eco system! One particular model from one manuf goosed. Ludicrous!

Upgraded to Android 12 and I can finally update UAPP to v6.0.2.9!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Upgraded to Android 12 and I can finally update UAPP to v6.0.2.9!

Excellent. V6 is a better interface for me, though not huge. Unless you want to EQ out to chromecast , which is a stroke of genius though I believe buggy.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here is someone who calls himself dewpo measurements of:

You can check the graphs yourself, distortion measurement. Interesting was this as dewpo wrote:

Not because it says anything about other DAC devices but this is how my ZOOM U-22 measures through the application

In my phone (Which is fairly new with Android 11) it measures identically equal to and without the application:
But in older phones it does not (I know this from experience).

You can run the text through google translate, from Swedish:

However, here in this post, dewpo writes:

Here are some more measurements with a different DAC:

shot_2022-02-14_21-40-46.png

Attachments

• shot_2022-02-14_21-33-38.png
    shot_2022-02-14_21-33-38.png
    747.6 KB · Views: 127
  • shot_2022-02-14_21-34-15.png
    shot_2022-02-14_21-34-15.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

mr.popo

I currently use Uapp but I hate its interface. It's junky and is nowhere as customisable as Poweramp. So my question is, is it a good idea to switch back to Poweramp? I read somewhere that PA can't deliver bitperfect usb audio.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi, have UAPP installed a couple a weeks ago and was going to do it in my Mi box too. However, listening through my RME ADI 2 dac from my Moto G9 plus hardwired to it, streaming Tidal HiFi standard quality, it has never ever displayed bitrates over 900 something.l, wether I am on wifi ( fiber) or my phone data plan ( monthly up to 100G and plenty fast too).
Am I being scammed by Tidal and I am not getting the full 44,1Khz 16 bit 1411 kbps I pay for, or is this some bug on the UAPP or the way it checks the bitrate?
I was uninpressed by the sound vis a vis my cd player outputting coax to the dac/Headphones compared to the same album on TIdal, and decided to try UAPP, but the delta is stiil there, same cd sounds better on hardware..

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, have UAPP installed a couple a weeks ago and was going to do it in my Mi box too. However, listening through my RME ADI 2 dac from my Moto G9 plus hardwired to it, streaming Tidal HiFi standard quality, it has never ever displayed bitrates over 900 something.l, wether I am on wifi ( fiber) or my phone data plan ( monthly up to 100G and plenty fast too).
Am I being scammed by Tidal and I am not getting the full 44,1Khz 16 bit 1411 kbps I pay for, or is this some bug on the UAPP or the way it checks the bitrate?
I was uninpressed by the sound vis a vis my cd player outputting coax to the dac/Headphones compared to the same album on TIdal, and decided to try UAPP, but the delta is stiil there, same cd sounds better on hardware..
Lossless Streaming rarely goes over 900 kbps.

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
streaming Tidal HiFi standard quality, it has never ever displayed bitrates over 900 something
Am I being scammed by Tidal and I am not getting the full 44,1Khz 16 bit 1411 kbps I pay for...
Unfortunately, Tidal show values that are for standard PCM on their website (as if it was in WAV format), while they use FLAC to stream. Don't understand why they do such a thing, maybe they think it would look better quality (even if it would be a bigger size), but it's a lie to show wrong values.
But don't feel scammed on quality, as FLAC will give you the same thing than WAV, there is no data destruction, it's the same information, but compressed in size only(no audio compression)
All tracks stay at 1411kbps in WAV
In FLAC, it's lower, and the more you have silence parts for exemple, the more the file size will be reduced.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Thanks for the quick replies, guys...So, as far as I understand, nothing fishy here, its the nature of the format it is streamed at, right..? Then my slight disappointment when streaming must be something in the version that is encoded of the album then, or as its been apparently proved here in ASR not even what they get sent directely is exactly what you get, so in the end no guarantee that what they stream you is bit by bit the same thing on the cd you bought and already own for years...and messing with that MQA malarky they try to push on you maybe too..

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
You can't make that assessment because you don't know the provenance of the files. There's no difference between lossless compressed formats.

You might be allowing the interface, the software, the hardware or anything else to be affecting your decision.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
You can't make that assessment because you don't know the provenance of the files. There's no difference between lossless compressed formats.

You might be allowing the interface, the software, the hardware or anything else to be affecting your decision.
Sorry, but yes, I can...Don't want to hijack this thread or litter it, so "I shall say this only once" . . At least one member here had music he produced published by Tidal, and then checked what they had streaming and proved that the file that was online was not exactly what he had sent in and the quality he provided, if you browse the last year reviews here you'll find it, it was promoted to the first page..
. Furthermore, I don't want MQA ever, just ordinary PCM/CD quality, maybe will try 24 biit /96khz just to check it out, but I am stuck with a lot of MQAed albums and their garbage, and many remastered or silentely re-worked versions, that clearly are a different mix version of the original I already own. Sure, many won't be Tidal's fault, they may have been handed a different version, but as far as MQA, and the fact that at least once ( and that would have to be a really, really unfortunate instance that they got caught the only time they did it in those 80 million tracks) what they sold the public was different and lower quality (hence) than advertised and what they got supplied.
Why stay? Unfortunately, tired of replacing cd players and buying and storing cd 's, can't get Qobuz over here, and do not want Amazon Hd for other reasons.
Final thought ..: with Tidal outputted through UAPP and a DAC like RME, with their imunnity to jitter, etc, if something sounds different, its not the gear: either it doesn't, and its your head,( and I can accept that) or it actually does, and its in the file it is replaying..and we've seen what you can expect on that front.

sq225917

Major Contributor
1. Mqa isn't lossless, if you'd read the last years posts you'd know that. Trust me, I read every post on ASR.

2. The statement was there is no difference between lossless formats, which their isn't. I wasn't talking about what one online music provider might do to remaster a specific title for their service, ie provenance. I was talking about the pure format. Wav, flac, alac, aif.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

Of course test:

High quality media player for Android. :)

Attachments

• shot_2022-04-07_13-10-55.png
    shot_2022-04-07_13-10-55.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 180
  • shot_2022-04-07_13-11-22.png
    shot_2022-04-07_13-11-22.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 171

Katji

Major Contributor
At least one member here had music he produced published by Tidal, and then checked what they had streaming and proved that the file that was online was not exactly what he had sent in and the quality he provided, if you browse the last year reviews here you'll find it, it was promoted to the first page..
. Furthermore, I don't want MQA ever, just ordinary PCM/CD quality, maybe will try 24 biit /96khz just to check it out, but I am stuck with a lot of MQAed albums and their garbage, and many remastered or silentely re-worked versions, that clearly are a different mix version of the original I already own. Sure, many won't be Tidal's fault, they may have been handed a different version, but as far as MQA, and the fact that at least once ( and that would have to be a really, really unfortunate instance that they got caught the only time they did it in those 80 million tracks) what they sold the public was different and lower quality (hence) than advertised and what they got supplied.
Corporate gangsters. Basically in the same category with Sony/Warner/UMG, and now Google. And Fb. I'll rip them off or disrupt whenever I can.

Top Bottom