• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High quality media player for Android

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A world where you could put Spotify, amazon music etc etc into UAPP would be ideal. But I appreciate its not within the developers gift to make it work.
Right, same thing with Roon, I use both apps and both are limited to Tidal and Qobuz. Maybe the problem is that Tidal and Qobuz are the only app that provides a true exclusive mode and make the DAC switching its sample rate to match the one of the each file.I tested Amazon Music HD and you can get bitperfectby matching manually the SR on the DAC with the one of the file, but it doesn't change automatically. It still use the OS audio setting for your DAC, even if you select "exclusive mode", and Deezer and Spotify don't offer exclusive mode at all.

I bet that if they all provide an real exclusive mode, Roon and UAPP wouldbe able to add these services

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, same thing with Roon, I use both apps and both are limited to Tidal and Qobuz. Maybe the problem is that Tidal and Qobuz are the only app that provides a true exclusive mode and make the DAC switching its sample rate to match the one of the each file.I tested Amazon Music HD and you can get bitperfectby matching manually the SR on the DAC with the one of the file, but it doesn't change automatically. It still use the OS audio setting for your DAC, even if you select "exclusive mode", and Deezer and Spotify don't offer exclusive mode at all.

I bet that if they all provide an real exclusive mode, Roon and UAPP wouldbe able to add these services
No, I believe its Spotify, amazon etc not allowing the 3rd party APIs needed to make apps like uapp work with them. It's been stated in both UAPP and Roon forums.

Grooved

No, I believe its Spotify, amazon etc not allowing the 3rd party APIs needed to make apps like uapp work with them. It's been stated in both UAPP and Roon forums.

Did not see it, but it's clear now.
Last point I forgot about UAPP : you can use the 10 band PEQ, which is great if you want to EQ headphones, but if you turn the EQ on, it then can't decode MQA stream as it says UAPP need to stay bitperfect to do that.
In Roon, you can add headroom and EQ and Roon re-add the MQA tag to let a DAC knows it's MQA and do the rendering.
So in Roon, you can have a playlist with both FLAC and MQA, and everything will be EQed
In UAPP, the same playlist will be EQed on FLAC but EQ will be disable on MQA files (I'm even not sure if it continues to play or stop, will need to check)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did not see it, but it's clear now.
Last point I forgot about UAPP : you can use the 10 band PEQ, which is great if you want to EQ headphones, but if you turn the EQ on, it then can't decode MQA stream as it says UAPP need to stay bitperfect to do that.
In Roon, you can add headroom and EQ and Roon re-add the MQA tag to let a DAC knows it's MQA and do the rendering.
So in Roon, you can have a playlist with both FLAC and MQA, and everything will be EQed
In UAPP, the same playlist will be EQed on FLAC but EQ will be disable on MQA files (I'm even not sure if it continues to play or stop, will need to check)
Correct. But on uapp you have to disable bit perfect mode to use eq. So it's not on and off. You just won't ever get mqa decoded with EQ on. Which is no bad thing

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use UAPP on my Note 9 (with about 0.5TB of FLACs on it). I tried Neutron Player, but I can't get on with the interface. I have PEQ profiles loaded into UAPP for all my in-ears and the Toneboosters Mophit add-on which is also fun to play with.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Yeh the neutron ui socks, but it's worth the pain as it exposes almost every parameter

julian_hughes

I find that Neutron's UI is fine *once you have set it up* and then it becomes very convenient and easy. But yes, there are a ton of options and a config/setup interface that has its own logic. And it is logical and well thought out, but it's not much like any other Android app.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
A question. Of those mentioned in the thread, any one you would say is out of the ordinary when it comes to being awkward to work with?

IT is not my strong point. I like Hifi but for me IT is in many ways just an annoyance. IT for fools, no wait for dummies were probably the names of those beginner books that were so popular a few years ago. I have not really left that stage yet.

I was going to study one or more of the above this weekend. Other things came in between but it will happen this week. Because no matter how boring I normally think IT is, this is an exception. Damn interesting and exciting.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
UAPP has a much simpler interface than Neutron (I own both). The problem I have with Neutron is that it's not very 'Androidy', it feels a bit alien and things aren't quite where you expect them to be. From sonic and functionality perspectives, I have no issue with it at all. Also, I think the last time I looked a Neutron, I didn't like the widget as much as UAPPs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A question. Of those mentioned in the thread, any one you would say is out of the ordinary when it comes to being awkward to work with?

IT is not my strong point. I like Hifi but for me IT is in many ways just an annoyance. IT for fools, no wait for dummies were probably the names of those beginner books that were so popular a few years ago. I have not really left that stage yet.

I was going to study one or more of the above this weekend. Other things came in between but it will happen this week. Because no matter how boring I normally think IT is, this is an exception. Damn interesting and exciting.

I've not encountered any that were particularly confounding. My biggest problem is that no one app does everything I want:

Neutron- no streaming compatibility BUT good USB control, EQ AND you can output EQ'd to Chromecast
UAPP- limited (Tidal, Qobuz) streaming compatibility , good EQ and USB control BUT- no chromecast
Hiby- no streaming, no chromecast, no EQ- but has USB control
Bubble UPNP- chromecast, some streaming BUT no USB control.

Its just a mess, and as to the streaming compatibility, I believe the blame there lies mostly at the door of Spotify, Amazon etc that dont open up their APIs for 3rd party clients like these.

Its 2021 and I "have" to subscribe to 2 different services to achieve everything I want from a user standpoint. Though admittedly, if I only ever wanted to use Android rather than Windows PC too, Tidal + UAPP gets me there. Ridiculous.

MRC01

Major Contributor
While we're on the topic, is there any way for UAPP to remember where it is mid-track after being closed and restarted? I've got some audio tracks that are 20+ minutes long and they always restart from the beginning.
I've searched through options but couldn't find anything.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While we're on the topic, is there any way for UAPP to remember where it is mid-track after being closed and restarted? I've got some audio tracks that are 20+ minutes long and they always restart from the beginning.
I've searched through options but couldn't find anything.
Hit and miss for me. Some closedowns seem to start again mid song, other times it seems to start 3 songs before where I left! That's with tidal.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got the app, and it recently got a pretty big redesign. Works great, and delivers on the claims.
UAPP? Not noticed a big redesign here- any obvious changes?

Tks

Major Contributor
UAPP? Not noticed a big redesign here- any obvious changes?

Version 6, visually you would have to be blind to miss it. It was their first update since May, adds things like Chromecast, and a few other usability tweaks along with fixes for a few bugs as well. The changelog is massive, but without reinstalling or updating, I cant find the full patch notes with the enitre list. Its pretty huge when you see it on first launch.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Version 6, visually you would have to be blind to miss it. It was their first update since May, adds things like Chromecast, and a few other usability tweaks along with fixes for a few bugs as well. The changelog is massive, but without reinstalling or updating, I cant find the full patch notes with the enitre list. Its pretty huge when you see it on first launch.
How odd. Mine is on 5.9.9.9

Explains why I didn't see the changes, but not why I havent got the update.

Tks

Major Contributor
How odd. Mine is on 5.9.9.9

Explains why I didn't see the changes, but not why I havent got the update.
Oh RIP!

That's weird though, the update came out I think three days ago (heck a 6.3MB update yesterday as well I think). I am on 6.0.2.4

If you're in the US, and you haven't gotten the update. That's just a big fail on Google PlayStore's part.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh RIP!

That's weird though, the update came out I think three days ago (heck a 6.3MB update yesterday as well I think). I am on 6.0.2.4

If you're in the US, and you haven't gotten the update. That's just a big fail on Google PlayStore's part.
Even more bizarre. Went to its page on play store and there was an update option. I have auto update on but that didn't update from back in May! I've changed phones since then too!

Also, tidal login isn't working on v6. Maybe an android beta bug. More work needed

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh RIP!

And even more weird, I just un installed v6 and re installed and it's back to 5.9.9.9 with no selection on my part. I'm going to hold off updating given the tidal issue I just had

Top Bottom