• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High quality DAC / field recorder with timecode support?

pknittel

Hi all,
I discovered this forum from the Zoom F6 review, it's refreshing to see proper testing instead of people regurgitating press releases and marketing materials. From what I understand, the F6 has very poor SINAD and seems to have worse audio quality than just about every other prosumer DAC on the market.

I am looking for the best-performing sound recorder that has at least 2 XLR inputs with phantom power, and timecode support, OR an additional 3.5mm mic in for manual timecoding.

I am a videographer and will generally be plugging in condenser microphones like two Rode NT1-As.

I prefer something that is portable (battery powered) and can record onto internal media; however if it's worth it, I am OK with a USB DAC; but once again, it needs timecoding support. Often recommended options don't seem to support timecoding, or have an additional 3.5mm input/channel that I can plug a timecode generator into.

My budget is up to US$1500 / AU $2000. I'm based in Australia. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations since you all seem to know a lot more about audio than me :)

Thank you,
Paul

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sound Devices offer the best specifications and is the standard audio mixer/recorder make used in the film industry. I have not measured their range since early noughties but when I did they beat advertised values. They are not cheap but if you earn money from sound recording in film or broadcast world, their devices are the ones to choose.

Tks

Major Contributor
We simply don't know since ADC's let alone field recorders, rarely come up for reviews here.

DaveLeeNC

Post #187 by @voltronic adds some very significant additional (after a 2021 firmware update) test data that gives a very different picture of the Zoom F6 vs. what was tested (properly as best as I can tell) by Amir prior to the update. See post #187 in the referenced thread.

dave

Top Bottom