• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Performance mid-priced reference DACs

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, a gaggle reveals they have a number of units at varying prices. This one is well spec'd but never heard of them before this?
https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/smsl-...-dac-decoder-balance-headphone-amplifier.html
I bought one of those in a fit of idiocy a couple of weeks ago because I was impressed by the machined from solid case and protuding display at such a price (the case may cost more to make than the whole of the rest of the unit, though I am a bit out of date on machining costs these days).
It sounds great attached to my laptop using AKG Q701 phones. I won't be bothering to do a level matched test though, been there and done that years ago. I couldn't hear a difference between a Linn Klimax DS and another at less than 1/10 the price when level matched so haven't anticipated SQ diffences between conventionally engineered DACs since.
Sometimes can't resist buying another though, hopefully grow out of it one day.

duo8

Interestingly I don't think anyone ever measured any Sony DAC/amp or player.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
And Sony with Philips invented the CD...Japan.

Plus Sony made some of the best SACD sounding players worldwide.

Sony must have some technical scientific knowledge about DACs or they wouldn't be where they are today.

Should we have a dedicated Sony thread where we inspect, inspector Jacques Clouseau, the pink panther, the DACs they use and their implementation from their separate DACs?

VanNeumann

Amir,

Although it appears you have made your purchases, here are a couple under $2000 to consider for the near future:

1. Apogee Element 24, 44, or 88 series for pro level AD/DA, but no DSD. http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/element. (Apogee gets excellent reviews from pro audio users, but I don't know how it would compare the likes of Exasound and Benchmark).

2. Crane Song Solaris. Got very good review here, but not doubt needs additional testing. https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/crane-song-solaris.

VanNeumann

Thanks. Good to know. For now I am out of budget for expensive DACs.

You can buy an Apogee Element 24 or 46 for under $450-$800. Also, any new insights on your headphone amp tests (i.e. O2 v Magni)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, any new insights on your headphone amp tests (i.e. O2 v Magni)?
I have done some preliminary measurements. Seeing how any review of Schiit products creates a huge storm, I like to do more testing before releasing it. Also, for headphone amplifier tests I like to perform listening tests and that is also time consuming.

Dimitri

Seeing how any review of Schiit products creates a huge storm, I like to do more testing before releasing it
Storm or not, you should treat it just like any other set of measurements. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought one of those in a fit of idiocy a couple of weeks ago because I was impressed by the machined from solid case and protuding display at such a price (the case may cost more to make than the whole of the rest of the unit, though I am a bit out of date on machining costs these days).
Hey I understand, I'm a sucker for a pretty face also, probably what made me look further into the specs. LOL
I agree with Sythrix that the lack of balanced outputs at this pricing would be a big negative, got to chose between the balanced outs and a pretty face I guess. :D
Sticking with my Emo DC-1 anyhow, it's still got a nice matching pair of knobs on it.

D

Deleted member 65

I have done some preliminary measurements. Seeing how any review of Schiit products creates a huge storm, I like to do more testing before releasing it. Also, for headphone amplifier tests I like to perform listening tests and that is also time consuming.

You could implement some peer reviewing prior publishing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy an Apogee Element 24 or 46 for under $450-$800. Also, any new insights on your headphone amp tests (i.e. O2 v Magni)?

I have not noticed these. They are recent. Have very good listed specs. Not quite SOTA, but very good. Interesting they eschewed all controls on the box. Just a box with inputs and outputs. Controlled by phone or computer. Actually a good idea to get a better price/performance ratio for anyone using a computer sourced system. 75 db gain on the preamp is better than average too.

I have an Antelope Zen Tour. It has a touch screen interface, but does allow a phone/tablet app to control it. Can be a good way to walk in to someone else's house, drop a laptop and this interface into the system and control playback via a phone. Such is becoming more common in pro gear the last couple years. Might become the norm in home systems more or less in time.

Worth mentioning the Apogee is a Thunderbolt interface and therefore Mac only as far as I know. Looks interesting. Would be nice if someone has a need for such a device and ability to record if they purchase one to loop it by Amir's place on the way for some measurements.

Top Bottom