• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Pass Filter Setup Question (RCA and XLR combo

Uy Lam

I have a quick opinion question on how people would set-up their system and utilize the high pass filter in their sub for good system integration.

My Setup:
Passive Speakers: (Currently Kef Q150s, but I am considering upgrading to the ELAC DBR-62s in the future)
Subwoofer: SB-2000
DAC: SMSL SU-8S

The next piece I plan on upgrading in the chain is a Stereo Amplifier to replace the Yamaha R-N602 in my setup (far too big, though performs adimirably).

I currently am doing the following:
USB (PC) --> DAC --> RCA to Sub (for the high pass filter) --> RCA to Yamaha via line in --> Speakers

All of the amplifiers I am considering seem to be XLR only, and I do want to keep the highpass filter from the sub.

I realize I can just get RCA to XLR cables to go from the sub to a Purifi or Hypex model (XLR only devices - I am currently eyeing a DIY Nilai500 when it comes out), but I can't help but wonder if there is a more elegant solution (perhaps involving a pre-amp, though admittedly I don't exactly know how the pre-amp would fit in this whole setup if at all).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DAC has XLR and RCA outputs. What is the problem?

OP
U

Uy Lam

Not a problem per se, but I have read that offloading the low frequencies to the sub via the high pass filter does make a big difference. I feel like it does make a big difference based on the limited experience I have.

If I go the route of two separate outputs, then I wouldn't be taking advantage of the highpass filter. I did consider a miniDSP, but the DAC seems redundant since I just picked up the SMSL SU-8S DAC.

Thoughts?

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t buy the big difference. Do the speakers sound bad when run full range without a sub?

OP
U

Uy Lam

I believe I can tell the difference, but it could just be my ears playing tricks on me. I guess I can play around with it and try both scenarios of:

A) DAC -> RCA -> Sub -> RCA to XLR -> Amp -> Speakers
B) DAC -> RCA -> Sub
-> XLR to Amp -> Speakers

I was just wondering if anyone had experience between these two scenarios and what their feedback looks like.

Top Bottom