• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Pass Crossover NAD C368 vs C388

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm liking the new NAD integrated offerings and have narrowed down to the C368 or the C388. I've read both manuals and have a question regarding how these units are implementing a High Pass Crossover to the main speakers and Sub.

The C368 manual states as follows: Filters provide easy bi-amplification or subwoofer integration by adding the required filters to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer.
High Pass: Low pass signal up to 300 Hz is attenuated and over 300 Hz sent to the speakers.

The C388 differs: High Pass: Low pass signal up to 150 Hz is attenuated and over 150 Hz sent to the speakers. This is based from 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley Crossover Filter @150 Hz. IMPORTANT NOTE If different crossover filter settings are required, it is recommended to use the filters built into the connected external Powered Subwoofer. Experiment by reversing the polarity of the Subwoofer or use a combination of filters, for example, the High Pass filter built into the C 388 and run full range to the Subwoofer and set the Crossover filter setting on the Subwoofer itself. Note that changing the level can also change the crossover frequency, so experimentation is the only way to get an optimal result.

My sub is an SVS1000 Pro so I have a lot of flexibility with the sub. What I'm not understanding is why would NAD fix high pass on the C368 at 300 Hz. This seems ridiculously high. And frankly even 150 Hz on the C388 seems high. I'm sure there is something I'm not understanding or there is information missing in the manual like what they mean by attenuation and how much they are reducing signal below the said frequency ranges.

Any help understanding this from owners or people with better understanding is much appreciated.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I checked, the manuals of both C368 and C388 have the same wordings regarding the crossover filters. Both have the same crossover frequency at 150 Hz (see pages 14). I agree with you that 150 Hz seems high.

C368.png C388.png

OP
DMill

DMill

When I checked, the manuals of both C368 and C388 have the same wordings regarding the crossover filters. Both have the same crossover frequency at 150 Hz (see pages 14). I agree with you that 150 Hz seems high.

View attachment 215582 View attachment 215583
Thank you. I copied and pasted from a manual I found on Google. But not everything on the internet is to be believed. So the versions you provided make much more sense they would each have the same crossover frequency at 150 Hz. Either way it is unfortunate because it my understanding that bass at that frequency would be directional rendering that feature pretty useless IMO.

GDK

Forum Donor
Either way it is unfortunate because it my understanding that bass at that frequency would be directional rendering that feature pretty useless IMO.
I think that could be very room dependent. At the very least, I have heard many different views on what level is localizable. Given you already have the sub, why not set the crossover on it to 150 and see if you can locate it with your eyes closed.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Have you considered the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120? It's another $1K or so, but having just bought one, I am completely blown away by its flexibility and adjustability, and its built-in and easy-to-use room correction.

OP
DMill

DMill

Have you considered the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120? It's another $1K or so, but having just bought one, I am completely blown away by its flexibility and adjustability, and its built-in and easy-to-use room correction.

Looks like a winner. Thank you for the reco. I wish it had a few more watts, but honestly it’s probably as much as I’d need. I’m surprised there isn’t more competition offering this feature set.

MarkS

Major Contributor
If it turns out you need more power, you can buy a power amp and use the 1120 as a pre-amp. The power is plenty for me, 89db speakers run full-range (no subs) in a 15'x21' room.

Top Bottom