• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

high level subwoofer connection vs. rca

OP
H

hawk01

According to the screenshots posted in the link below, the 803 does have a configurable crossover.

Is it possible it's not mentioned in the manual becuse this functionality is only available through the app which may have been launched later? Still, you would think a company like Yamaha would go back and update the manual, unless the app has its own manual somewhere?

https://forums.audioholics.com/foru...eiver-with-ypao-bass-mgt.109121/#post-1222848

although this may be a nice feature to have via app, it is also the weakest point moving forward! how long is yamaha going to support this? more so the R-N803! after reading the thread, it is already becoming an apparent concern. what a PITA they did not implement native bass management into the R-N803 instead of the fancy app! if they really want to sway them audiophiles, more so those at the twilight of their years like me, an app based feature is not the way to do it.

at any rate, i am still going to take a closer look at this on the next trip to the dealer,

A Surfer

Major Contributor
although this may be a nice feature to have via app, it is also the weakest point moving forward! how long is yamaha going to support this? more so the R-N803! after reading the thread, it is already becoming an apparent concern. what a PITA they did not implement native bass management into the R-N803 instead of the fancy app! if they really want to sway them audiophiles, more so those at the twilight of their years like me, an app based feature is not the way to do it.

at any rate, i am still going to take a closer look at this on the next trip to the dealer,
That makes me sad to think about how difficult it might be as an aging person if you have to come to grips with losing hearing acuity. That will be so cruel. I am already 52 and I know that I don't not have the hearing that I once did. Just a few weeks ago the reality of how pronounced hearing loss can be was driven home. I was with my father who is 78 and a big flock of Canada Geese were migrating south (the cowards) and I commented how loud and oddly comforting the sound of the flock was and my father told me he couldn't hear them at all! Yikes, not a fate that I am looking forward to. How much of what is in a recording will I miss out on regardless of the room and gear.

And reading your post I realize that you were not talking about losing hearing rather about not liking the move away from hardware features in favour of software deployed over an app. It just triggered the thoughts when you said twilight years.

Last edited:

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
if they really want to sway them audiophiles, more so those at the twilight of their years like me, an app based feature is not the way to do it.
Like it or not, that's where things are heading. Take Denon/Marantz for example - if you want to customize/tweak your Audyssey settings, you'll need the app, and it'll cost you $20, too.

OP
H

hawk01

Like it or not, that's where things are heading. Take Denon/Marantz for example - if you want to customize/tweak your Audyssey settings, you'll need the app, and it'll cost you $20, too.
yeah i know! i would understand the app based finer tweaking features of the denon avrs. but basic bass management implementation should be default and native to the user interface, and if ever they keep on steering this path, hopefully they do not abandon the poor consumer in the future of support via software/firmware updates.

Blew

If there's a way to do this via the app then there is a way to do it via HTTP requests. That can be constructed via a command line or GUI tool on a computer, which would eliminate the dependency on the app itself.

Blew

Apologies for necro'ing this thread, and if this has been answered before, but is there much to be concerned about if you attach a RCA Y splitter to a receiver that has a single RCA subwoofer out to attach two amplified subwoofers to?
So it sort of looks like this:
Subwoofer 1
Receiver RCA subwoofer out -- RCA splitter -<
Subwoofer 2

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies for necro'ing this thread, and if this has been answered before, but is there much to be concerned about if you attach a RCA Y splitter to a receiver that has a single RCA subwoofer out to attach two amplified subwoofers to?
So it sort of looks like this:
Subwoofer 1
Receiver RCA subwoofer out -- RCA splitter -<
Subwoofer 2
What 2 subwoofers are you wanting to connect?

Blew

What 2 subwoofers are you wanting to connect?
I'm planning on buying a couple of amplified Yamaha with crossover dials second hand. Ideally the same model.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm planning on buying a couple of amplified Yamaha with crossover dials second hand. Ideally the same model.
Without being able to confirm the subwoofer input impedance I say yes it will work OK.

Blew

Without being able to confirm the subwoofer input impedance I say yes it will work OK.
Does impedance matter in RCA? Do amplified subwoofers with RCA inputs differ in impedance?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does impedance matter in RCA? Do amplified subwoofers with RCA inputs differ in impedance?
The output impedance of the amp and the input impedance of the subwoofers does matter sometimes. It is rare although if the output impedance is high and the input impedance is low then there could be a issue with gain.

Top Bottom