• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High gain vs low gain

aoaaron

Just a general question.

I have my atom, I love it. Really nice clean perfect sound when hooked up to my new D30.

Sadly for video games and some films, I could probably do with it being a bit louder. Than the highest setting in low gain at times (Aladdin film for example)

If I go into high gain, then I can get very very adequate / ear bleeding levels of euphoria.

My question is, are there any real audible differences between high and low gain? I have heard it increases the noise floor, but I really can't hear much or any difference when playing games low vs high gain so I was just wondering. I know scientifically there is a clear preference towards low gain but in real world application, is it neglible for the untrained ear?

As far as I know, films are mastered in 5.1 and designed to reach reference levels (0db) in order to sound their best whilst retaining dynamism. Also for films, I could use MPC HD's software amplification. I was wondering if software amplification is better or just going to high gain mode?

The truth is I'm still not sold on headphones for films at all. I think a solid 5.1 surround setup with a big subwoofer destroys most of them but in regards to music, headphones absolutely destroy speakers.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With whatever gain setting you use, it still takes the same amount of voltage, to get your headphones to a certain volume level.
If high gain setting (D30) does not add noise to the audio signal, then using high gain is fine.
I would suggest maxing out the volume controls on the audio source (Windows PC) to send the strongest signal possible, to the D30.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would advise to stick to low gain and take care of yours ears. High gain is made for high impedance headphones, not for listening at punishing levels.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom