• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High frequency hearing and thresholds

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of the members here referenced a paper from German investigators dealing with "ultrasound". I read the paper and thought that providing a summary here would be helpful to the forum members. I apologize for not recalling who referenced it here. I will link to the paper at the end.

Kühler et al., from Berlin, conducted an experiment where they wanted to determine whether ultrasounds could cause damage. It was basically a "safety" study but they needed to establish the frequencies that we could hear and also the thresholds for hearing them. They had a very sophisticated protocol and technical equipment validated and reliable. In their second part, they wanted to measure if there was any brain activity associated with "ultrasounds" even if the subjects could not hear it. I will note summarize that part but suffice to say that it doesn't.

They made sure they had a "normal hearing" population at baseline and that the tests were unmasked. That is, the subjects would hear only the pure frequencies they were testing. They went to great lengths to insure the quality of every step of the experiment. They selected 26 subjects with mean age 24. The oldest was 33. This is important as we can establish these thresholds in a young population. Whatever happens in those older, should not be extrapolated from this study. They also had pure unmasked test tones to reduce potential distractions or "harmonics" from the test frequency.

The investigators started with tones of 14kHz and went up all the way to 24.2kHz. All 26 subjects could hear the 14kHz tone and the threshold of audibility was a median of 22dBs. So even at low dBs everyone could hear this frequency. The maximum was 67dBs and the most sensitive person could hear it at 18dBs. 16.95kHz was the last frequency that all subjects could hear. The threshold at this frequency had a median of 75 dBs (35 dB-109dBs min-max range).

By 19kHz, the median threshold was an astonishing 98.5dBs (60-114 dBs). And this is with the sound directly in the ear (monaural insert earphones)! A completely unmasked frequency of 19kHz needs to reach the ear at 98.5dBs to be heard from a normal (mean) 24 year old population. 24 of 26 subjects could hear this frequency.

Only 3 subjects reached the frequency of 24.2kHz. Their threshold of hearing was 110dBs. The paper shows their frequency limits and thresholds separate from the group.

This is the box plot of the overall response. The number of subjects that could hear those frequencies are on top.

1645557381239.png

The authors review the literature and show that indeed it is well established that the threshold for hearing increases dramatically with increasing frequencies, and that their findings are consistent with the literature.

So what does this tell me? Actually, even though I have a few questions that I will list below, this tells me that hearing any frequency above 14kHz in music that affects they way we hear the totality of music is very difficult. Even if music were to have frequencies higher than 14kHz, these "notes" would have to be so loud to be heard above the rest of the music for our brains to "hear" it that it becomes difficult to sustain that these frequencies are essential. When we look at frequency response of music played, high frequencies are much lower in level than middle frequencies. Even at only 16kHz, we need an unmasked in-ear 60 dBs level to be heard. How loud does the high frequency has to be out of the speaker to reach our ears at 60dBs? Basically, I now think that any music that has frequencies above 16kHz has no impact on what we hear. And given that I am a bit older than 24 (even my son is older than that!), there is no way that it would impact me. It also reinforces to me the decision of the CD cutoff frequency response. Nothing above it is relevant or necessary.

It would be an interesting exercise to test the hearing threshold with music playing in the background to test whether it impacts or not. I doubt it. And even though the authors took care that the tones were quite pure, they did not report if the microphone captured earphone distortion with lower frequency harmonics that could have facilitated detection. I doubt it.

Bottom line, is that for those that claim they can hear high frequencies, we should ask them not only what frequency they claim to hear but also at what threshold is that achieved. I am sure that forum members can also supply music that has content that could fall within the reported thresholds. If there is any.

The paper is really excellent, I strongly recommend that you read it. This is a SIMPLE summary, and I hope you forgive my attempt to reduce the content so much. I purposely did not cover many of the other findings that I thought were less relevant for the discussion.

Good find, the question is for airborne ultrasound, what if it is bone conduction or tissue conduction? Will it be any different?

The same cut-off frequency of 16KHz is used by Bose as well but they have been doing this from decades, long before this paper was published. I think it was common knowledge no adult can hear above 16KHz.

OP
C

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
@signalblocking , the paper describes that there is no effect of airborne ultrasound on the brain (auditory cortex). They do mention the caveat that there is one report of bone conduction. Bone or tissue is based on vibration, "touching" so I don't know if it would impact the part of the brain associated with hearing, which is the context here. We are trying to determine the "hearing" side not the touch side.

And the point is not about hearing or not, is what threshold is associated with hearing certain frequencies.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
40 hz through 8-10k hz is really where the majority of music resides. I can’t hear anything above 8k hz and it must be quite loud. I don’t think I am missing much. JMHO here. In general terms of the majority of recorded music. 40 to 10k seems to be accurate. Of course there are exceptions, but I’m talking about the median of frequency range of musical content. I would be surprised if many ASR members can even hear above 12k hz.

TLDR Ref reading on instrument FR’s

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Again, another paper that doesn't control for distortion (apart from, bizarrely, in the electronics), has questionable data and references a well known camp of Japanese researchers whose research has the same flaws and others.

There are no measurements for the designed "ultrasound source". In that section of the paper the design shows a large €7 piezoelectric buzzer normally used to generate HF bursts to scare wildlife attached to a funnel and a tube. There is no description of the calibration process. They then say the design is "like" that of Etymotic.

https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Car/Speaker/L010-Piezo-Loudspeaker.php The manufacturers say this driver is for this speaker: https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Car/Modules/M161-Ultrasonic-Power-Cannon.php Here is the pricing source: https://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Car/Modules/M161-Ultrasonic-Power-Cannon.php

Here is the max SPL graph for the Kemo L010, which is the only graph they give since this is not research gear (look at the tolerance level), but a mass produced cheap driver with a specific purpose in mind.

frequenzdiagramm_1000x707.png

Besides the potential for distortion and resonances in the driver, which is driven nearly to its maximum SPL for 19kHz and above, there is no attempt to describe controls for natural IMD of the ear, which, ironically, Mead Killion of Etymotic has studied.

Why waste time and grants on these studies? I don't understand why they come up again and again and are so specifically flawed. Who is benefitting?
@signalblocking , the paper describes that there is no effect of airborne ultrasound on the brain (auditory cortex). They do mention the caveat that there is one report of bone conduction. Bone or tissue is based on vibration, "touching" so I don't know if it would impact the part of the brain associated with hearing, which is the context here. We are trying to determine the "hearing" side not the touch side.

And the point is not about hearing or not, is what threshold is associated with hearing certain frequencies.
Bone conduction is a well known, common exploited phenomena in audiology and can directly stimulate the inner ear. Look up Rinne and Weber tests.
Good find, the question is for airborne ultrasound, what if it is bone conduction or tissue conduction? Will it be any different?

The same cut-off frequency of 16KHz is used by Bose as well but they have been doing this from decades, long before this paper was published. I think it was common knowledge no adult can hear above 16KHz.
You've posted many times about this using conspiracy theory sources and the like. Please take the time to read a serious psychoacoustical book:
  • (2013) Brian Moore. An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing. 6th ed. Published by Brill.
Examine its sources and citations. Become familiar with auditory anatomy. Understand the devices used in published experiments. Please. It is of no help to you if you rely only on conjecture.

Edit: Added details about the piezo driver.

Last edited:
OP
C

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
@pozz, did you read it or are you just jumping and giving opinions?

"The transducer used for this source was a Kemo L010 piezoelectric loudspeaker (Kemo-Electronic GmbH, Geestland, Germany)"

Are you aware of this transducer yourself to state that it is a POS?

"The hermetically sealed loudspeaker was mounted on an acoustic funnel that had a linearly decreasing inner diameter and was connected to the ear via a silicone tube (length: 330 mm, inner diameter: 5 mm) and via the ER3-14A audiometric ear tip (Etymotic Research, Elk Grove Village, IL,
USA) (see Figure 1)"

Again, they described the methodology clearly in the paper. What is your experience with this? That transducer has a freq response up to 39kHz. I mentioned myself that they didn't control for the transducer distortion.

They describe the microphone they used to check the frequencies and the SPL in the inner tube. So, they do have actual data of what arrives to the ear. Of course, it would have been nice to compare the original signal to the one arriving at the ear for distortion. But would that affect the results?

I am disappointed that your comment is so condescending. I find it inappropriate. Next time, provide us with your own published literature on the subject, Mr Know-it-all.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@pozz, did you read it or are you just jumping and giving opinions?

"The transducer used for this source was a Kemo L010 piezoelectric loudspeaker (Kemo-Electronic GmbH, Geestland, Germany)"

Are you aware of this transducer yourself to state that it is a POS?

"The hermetically sealed loudspeaker was mounted on an acoustic funnel that had a linearly decreasing inner diameter and was connected to the ear via a silicone tube (length: 330 mm, inner diameter: 5 mm) and via the ER3-14A audiometric ear tip (Etymotic Research, Elk Grove Village, IL,
USA) (see Figure 1)"

Again, they described the methodology clearly in the paper. What is your experience with this? That transducer has a freq response up to 39kHz. I mentioned myself that they didn't control for the transducer distortion.

They describe the microphone they used to check the frequencies and the SPL in the inner tube. So, they do have actual data of what arrives to the ear. Of course, it would have been nice to compare the original signal to the one arriving at the ear for distortion. But would that affect the results?

I am disappointed that your comment is so condescending. I find it inappropriate. Next time, provide us with your own published literature on the subject, Mr Know-it-all.
If you look up my posting history I've written about this at least a dozen times or more, providing sources.

The methodology and results are useless without controls in place. This is the same thing we repeat here time and again when a less-informed member joins to relate their experience about switching electronics, cables, speakers, etc. without blind testing.

You are unfamiliar with these kinds of claims and papers. I have read many of them and their citations. I apologize for the tone, but these are commonly used to argue audiophile claims about gear, etc.

OP
C

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
Sorry, but I don't understand your concern.

A computer was generating the frequencies and the level. This was checked through the B&K microphone. There was no human involvement in the generation of the frequency. Each subject had to respond to the computer. Can you please describe what you mean by "control" in place? What kind of bias do you assume is happening here (besides the potential impact of distortion)? The subjects were "technically" blind and the computer had no human bias that I can figure out. What kind of blind testing do you suggest?

Are you suggesting that the results they achieved is not valid or true?

The purpose of the paper was to evaluate AIR transmission of ultrasound for potential safety concerns. They measured hearing and cortical auditory activity using validated methods from proper institutions (Queen Square in London for fMRI) for example.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Sorry, but I don't understand your concern.

A computer was generating the frequencies and the level. This was checked through the B&K microphone. There was no human involvement in the generation of the frequency. Each subject had to respond to the computer. Can you please describe what you mean by "control" in place? What kind of bias do you assume is happening here (besides the potential impact of distortion)? The subjects were "technically" blind and the computer had no human bias that I can figure out. What kind of blind testing do you suggest?

Are you suggesting that the results they achieved is not valid or true?

The purpose of the paper was to evaluate AIR transmission of ultrasound for potential safety concerns. They measured hearing and cortical auditory activity using validated methods from proper institutions (Queen Square in London for fMRI) for example.
The concern is this table.

1645578584911.png

It purports ultrasonic hearing thresholds at very high SPL. The question to ask is what were the subjects responding to? To the pure tone or to audible distortion due to the low quality piezo driver or resonances in the construction?

A further question to ask is why is there no testing of the subjects' hearing? Why was a calibrated HF audiometer not used beforehand to establish thresholds according to a known standard instead of simply comparing the results with a few threshold curves from other studies?

Furthermore the test was poorly designed. It was an A/B test with the option for an "I don't know answer" asking the subjects to select between a sample with silence and a sample with the signal. The test was aborted when the subject pressed "I don't know"" five times. Why would that produce useful data? They did not control for the possibility of guessing.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Can you please describe what you mean by "control" in place?
A control in scientific literature is a method that produces known, verifiable, repeatable results. They are included in experiments to compare their known results to those which form the goal of the experiment.

I like this definition here: "Controls eliminate alternate explanations of experimental results." In other words, if an experiment like this one claims that ultrasound is safe because human hearing thresholds are so high, and therefore not of concern, it eliminates someone like me reading it and saying that the experimenters' claim is invalid because they did not sufficiently prove the accuracy of their results. I.e., their testing did not inform their goal, and the results are unable to support if ultrasound is safe or not. That's the problem. In the the end you don't know despite doing a lot of work.
You're thinking of cognitive bias. The bias here is experimental. Incorrect procedure design by the researchers which failed to eliminate or account for the influence by other variables.

I've participated in many academic blind tests and have had my hearing tested many times. The tests ranged between testing emotive qualities and psychological effects of certain sounds to more data driven perceptual questions (can you perceive this sound or not? can you perceive this change to the sound or not?). The design of the test depends on what the goal is. In general psychoacoustic tests depend on subject responses. So there you have to ask the question of consistency: how do I know that the test result is not in error? Will the same person react the same way to the test every time? If they don't, what factors are influencing them? It's well known that you can suggest by accident the result you'd like to the subject. You don't even have to be in the room. Your listening setup might produce clicks or some other unintended hint to the subject.

For example, in these series of tests, there might be residual noise by the amplifier they used (which is not designed for auditory research) in the recorded sample and perfect silence otherwise. The amp is a BAA 120 BEAK. The SNR is a vague >95dB. This is not the correct way to represent audio specs: https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/note145.html (scroll down to SNR). We are left with insufficient data and have to pose the following question: when amplifying the signal to the driver, and piezo drivers are very sensitive, does that mean that there is audible noise in the recording?

To reduce the possibility of guessing or simply error on the part of the subjects there are other kinds of listening tests. ABX is commonly referenced here: can you correctly identify X as A or B? Another is ABCD: usually, this is posed as choose the sample with the most representative quality (loudness, pitch, duration or some other quality). Outside of that, there are also priming sections inserted before listening tests to serve as controls. They take a few easy samples and ask the subject to correctly order or categorize them (for example: which is louder of ABC? or which is higher or XYZ?). If the subject fails in a straightforward task, their further results are disqualified, or they follow a different experimental procedure from the rest.

Try this test: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...igit-triplet-test-hear-speech-in-noise.27495/

There are also other listening test links and many other resources I maintain here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-review-index.11398/

bkdc

Forum Donor
It is not possible for such sounds to be detected by a human. Even with bone conduction, you are directly vibrating the bony labyrinth instead of depending on vibration at the oval window to propagate through the endolymph and along the scala. There really is no difference whether it's air condution or bone conduction. You are merely bypassing the ear canal, eardrum, and ossicles. The inner ear is not cable of excitability above the theoretical hearing threshold as there are no hair cells that are excitable at such high frequencies. They are laid out with tonotopic mapping if you unroll the cochlea, and the limitation is about 14 kilohertz in young healthy ears. Yes some people will hear higher but generally not after age 30. It's moot. Who wants to hear 20kHz sounds? It sound annoy the heck out of me.

Last edited:

CherylJosie

My ears are shot. When an ambulance siren goes by I hear two tones. One is the siren swooping up and the second is a frequency-shifted copy sweeping down. It's worse in my right ear that has taken more abuse from right-hand driving in the left seat with high SPL beating up my right ear.

I think what I'm hearing is intermodulation distortion between the input tone and the rattling of my arthritic ossicles. I'm guessing that the bones rattle at a specific resonant frequency and the nonlinearity of the intermittent connection between bones is creating the frequency shift of the input tone. But I don't really know as I haven't seen an audiologist since having my tinnitus and hearing loss tested. I can barely make out 11KHz at the highest SPL that my home theater produces (or headphones) and above that I start hearing very weird and quiet frequency-shifted tones that I know aren't actually higher than 11KHz.

My principle concern would be that at 98dB of 24KHz who knows what is conducting through those bones? They might claim to hear 24KHz but is that really what they are perceiving? We use advanced materials to transmit sounds of that frequency but send it through flesh and bone?

I don't think the results make much sense. Why would only a couple of people hear frequencies that high? Would it be older people or people who have been exposed to loud blasts and are experiencing some osteoarthritic degeneration of the middle ear? More infomation is required about the test subjects to develop an understanding.

It would be even better if someone had a way of measuring the deflection of the oval window to see what is actually being transmitted into the cochlea. That could be done with some sort of laser through the eardrum. Then we would know with some certainty that the signal was reaching the cochlea intact.

shiruba

One of the members here referenced a paper from German investigators dealing with "ultrasound". I read the paper and thought that providing a summary here would be helpful to the forum members. I apologize for not recalling who referenced it here. I will link to the paper at the end.

Only 3 subjects reached the frequency of 24.2kHz. Their threshold of hearing was 110dBs. The paper shows their frequency limits and thresholds separate from the group.

Bottom line, is that for those that claim they can hear high frequencies, we should ask them not only what frequency they claim to hear but also at what threshold is that achieved. I am sure that forum members can also supply music that has content that could fall within the reported thresholds. If there is any.
Hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum! (I've been lurking for a month or so...)
I came here because I do like high quality audio, but I don't like snake oil.

With that said... I am super jealous of "most" people. I can hear "inaudible" frequencies very well, and it is actually a major annoyance.
It used to bother me whenever anyone was using a CRT TV or Monitor, but thankfully those are not common now.
The usual annoyances now are rodent repelling devices or parking garage sonar often used here in Japan.
I have found in my company of around 60 people there is one other person bothered by the parking sonar at least - but not as much as me.
I don't think that means I need to hear higher frequencies in my music or anything like that, however - and the aforementioned sources of ultrasonic audio may well be 200db for all I know.

There is one minor useful "feature" to this sensitivity, which is that I can use a 20khz ring tone on my phone that only I can hear even when I am in the office.
I am also well over 24!

Back to audio, the 44khz sampling frequency of CDs means that the nyquest limit is 22khz - which I agree should be more than fine for music. Even if I can hear such sounds, I don't *want* to, and they aren't typically intentially part of music.

One question / comment I have though is this:
44khz sampling is enough to represent a 22khz tone, but it would basically be a square wave at that point.
It seems obvious to me that the higher the frequency, the smoother the wave form would be. Even a 10khz signal would have a more accurate wave form representation at 50khz than 30khz.
Since square waves, sawtooth waves, and sine waves do sound audibly different, it follows that a higher sampling frequency would have more sample points per cycle, and thus present a more accurate wave form, and sound better (or at least different).

So it seems to me that a 96khz frequency sampling would indeed sound better than a 44khz sampling, not because you can hear higher frequencies, but because the wave forms of the all frequencies will also be more accurately represented.

CDs were a technical marval at the time they were created, and the difference would probably not be noticible in the average person'S listening environment anyway.

Am I missing something?
Could anyone point me to any sort of research on this type of thing?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
44khz sampling is enough to represent a 22khz tone, but it would basically be a square wave at that point.
As you approach the Nyquest Limit there are a lot of filter design factors that confuse things. So lets look a little bit lower, say 20kHz. Because there is a low pass filter, any 20kHz tone will be a near perfect sine wave. In fact only the sine wave part of any frequency above about 12kHz will make it thru.

DonR

Major Contributor
A square wave is a sine wave at the fundamental frequency with a lot of harmonics at even higher frequencies. Filter out the harmonics and you are left with a sine wave at the fundamental.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum! (I've been lurking for a month or so...)
I came here because I do like high quality audio, but I don't like snake oil.

With that said... I am super jealous of "most" people. I can hear "inaudible" frequencies very well, and it is actually a major annoyance.
It used to bother me whenever anyone was using a CRT TV or Monitor, but thankfully those are not common now.
The usual annoyances now are rodent repelling devices or parking garage sonar often used here in Japan.
I have found in my company of around 60 people there is one other person bothered by the parking sonar at least - but not as much as me.
I don't think that means I need to hear higher frequencies in my music or anything like that, however - and the aforementioned sources of ultrasonic audio may well be 200db for all I know.

There is one minor useful "feature" to this sensitivity, which is that I can use a 20khz ring tone on my phone that only I can hear even when I am in the office.
I am also well over 24!

Back to audio, the 44khz sampling frequency of CDs means that the nyquest limit is 22khz - which I agree should be more than fine for music. Even if I can hear such sounds, I don't *want* to, and they aren't typically intentially part of music.

One question / comment I have though is this:
It seems obvious to me that the higher the frequency, the smoother the wave form would be. Even a 10khz signal would have a more accurate wave form representation at 50khz than 30khz.
Since square waves, sawtooth waves, and sine waves do sound audibly different, it follows that a higher sampling frequency would have more sample points per cycle, and thus present a more accurate wave form, and sound better (or at least different).

So it seems to me that a 96khz frequency sampling would indeed sound better than a 44khz sampling, not because you can hear higher frequencies, but because the wave forms of the all frequencies will also be more accurately represented.

CDs were a technical marval at the time they were created, and the difference would probably not be noticible in the average person'S listening environment anyway.

Am I missing something?
Could anyone point me to any sort of research on this type of thing?
Have you measured the sound your phone outputs? It could well be that you are hearing IMD at a much lower level.

Same goes for CRTs. I can hear up to around 15khz and find them unbearable. Well within the audible band.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Sampling Theory is not really intuitive.

44kHz sampling gives you 2 samples at 22kHz, which is all you need. What you get from higher sample rates is higher frequencies, not a more accurate sound wave.

I see the Monty video has been referenced. Well worth watching.

Andysu

Major Contributor
alien 3 1992 , some brilliance high frequency when i tune eq the movie for showing it with hearing pinching effect on my ears up 18KHz . drink plenty of orange juice so i can hear the action of the 18KHz juice . JBL five screen wide , 4673A behind at-screen .
10830603_10152991186210149_6914973150070475918_o.jpg
10923733_10152991186355149_6352420527138949532_o.jpg

Darryl

Sampling Theory is not really intuitive.

44kHz sampling gives you 2 samples at 22kHz, which is all you need. What you get from higher sample rates is higher frequencies, not a more accurate sound wave.

I see the Monty video has been referenced. Well worth watching.
Something that has been ignored here is sum and difference frequencies generated by high inaudible tones.
The lower sidebands fall easily within the hearing range of most people.
A study using pure single tones will show no effect, but if they used that same tone mixed with a lower tone then there would be quite audible effects that most would hear.
As to how high people can hear, I am 59 years old now and can still detect 19khz, so there is obviously a broad spread of typical hearing capabilities as witnessed by how many cannot hear old TV sets working.
As to whether or not being able to reproduce such high frequencies is beneficial, just know that most music has all the super high stuff filtered out to stop aliasing at audible frequencies.

Top Bottom