• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Frequency beep inside my devices...

domiji

Hello together :)

I can hear a high frequency beep / tone when i come closer to my devices.

First i tought it would be just one device but yesterday i got my new Topping A90 and my Singxer SDA 6 Pro and both of them have it.

I also noticed it on my old Burson Conductor 3XP.

Also the tranaformers do slightly hum in some devices.

My listening place is in the cellar with a lot of electric Components. Coule this be a problem?

Does may anyone have an idea what this could be? Maybe DC?

Thank you :)

Best
Dominik

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Beeping (usually high pitched) coming from devices is almost certainly either coils in switch mode circuits (voltage converters) or some parts (in power amps when under heavy dummy load testing) but those are test signal/music related.

Hum from devices is always a mains transformer, could be caused by DC offset on the mains and fixable up to a certain level.

Sometimes this can be lowered a bit with some modifications. Unless it becomes really audible at the listening spot during soft passages I would not do anything drastic.

Putting 'afflicted' gear in a cabinet (with enough ventilation) is the first thing you could do.

It isn't pointing to issues unless it suddenly becomes much louder.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beeping (usually high pitched) coming from devices is almost certainly either coils in switch mode circuits (voltage converters) or some parts (in power amps when under heavy dummy load testing) but those are test signal/music related.

Hum from devices is always a mains transformer, could be caused by DC offset on the mains and fixable up to a certain level.

Sometimes this can be lowered a bit with some modifications. Unless it becomes really audible at the listening spot during soft passages I would not do anything drastic.

Putting 'afflicted' gear in a cabinet (with enough ventilation) is the first thing you could do.

It isn't pointing to issues unless it suddenly becomes much louder.
I agree that if the cause is the switch mode ps there is nothing you can do than get it replaced on warranty. My colleague had this problem with his Neumann KH420s and they were replaced / serviced by Neumann.

OP
domiji

domiji

Thanks for your help :)

I was just wondering because the A90 and the Singxer SDA 6 dont have a switched mode power supply?

The high frequency tone is only audible in the device not in the headphones.

Do you think that a mains filter like ifi Purifier or Isotek Isoplug could help? Or maybe a power socket with integrated filter?

Best
Dominik

solderdude

Grand Contributor
SDA6 is probably display related or they are mains harmonics.
A90 has 2 DCDC converters inside.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your help :)

I was just wondering because the A90 and the Singxer SDA 6 dont have a switched mode power supply?

The high frequency tone is only audible in the device not in the headphones.

Do you think that a mains filter like ifi Purifier or Isotek Isoplug could help? Or maybe a power socket with integrated filter?
Maybe they have DC/DC converters? Don't think that a mains filter helps.

OP
domiji

domiji

Thank you very much for your quick help.
I really love this forum :)

By the way... Which kind of mains power socket would you general recommend?
A one with an inbuilt filter or without? Or does this even dont really mattes? :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
one with an inbuilt filter or without?

It depends on the circumstances (immunity/emission) and if additional immunity or emission filtering is essential for the device in question.

Top Bottom