• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High failure rate with Topping products?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
IF a manufacturer uses genuine parts produced by the major component manufacturers, there is no reason not to expect indefinite lifespan from electronic gear. Computers for instance are exceptionally complex yet they are likely to be run for years without problem.

Personally, I have seen knock-off components get through the pipeline and the quality is obviously inferior. Not common by a long stretch, but it happens.

That said, component failures do happen and is to be expected once in a while.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't understand those that think 3 year lifespan is adequate or $700 is "throw away" pricing for a DAC.

I have no idea if Topping products have a high failure rate, but I try to avoid products with no local (U.S. in my instance) support. Sometimes I feel like the early adopters of new Topping, SMSL, etc. products are little more than Beta testers. Which seems ridiculous for "solved problem" such as a DAC or head amp.

In the U.S. there's Schiit, Benchmark, JDS Labs, as others here have mentioned.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand those that think 3 year lifespan is adequate or $700 is "throw away" pricing for a DAC.

I have no idea if Topping products have a high failure rate, but I try to avoid products with no local (U.S. in my instance) support. Sometimes I feel like the early adopters of new Topping, SMSL, etc. products are little more than Beta testers. Which seems ridiculous for "solved problem" such as a DAC or head amp.

In the U.S. there's Schiit, Benchmark, JDS Labs, as others here have mentioned.
I think the same way regarding service and support and so have considered what I would buy to make sure I have service and support after the sale. Topping is available through Amazon.ca, JDS Labs and Schiit must be ordered through the CAN-USA border via courier. It's not a biggy although it adds more than. I have a 6lb when packaged PC water cooler being replaced via the 5 year warranty and it cost me $49.00 CDN to ship it to Ontario California with extra insurance and tracking. So not cheap to do and if repetitive would become tedious at best.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I think the same way regarding service and support and so have considered what I would buy to make sure I have service and support after the sale. Topping is available through Amazon.ca, JDS Labs and Schiit must be ordered through the CAN-USA border via courier. It's not a biggy although it adds more than. I have a 6lb when packaged PC water cooler being replaced via the 5 year warranty and it cost me $49.00 CDN to ship it to Ontario California with extra insurance and tracking. So not cheap to do and if repetitive would become tedious at best.

How long does AMZN.ca honor the Topping warranty? And I'm not positive, but in the US. I think one would have the standard AMZN 30 day return period, after that it's off to China I suppose.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How long does AMZN.ca honor the Topping warranty?
"In the event that your product doesn’t work as expected, or you’d like someone to walk you through setup, Amazon offers free product support over the phone on eligible purchases for up to 90 days."

...alternatively there is the 4 year extended warranty for a extra $45.13 CDN.
Topping.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the warranty on JDS Labs stuff and Schiit?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit warranty>
2-Year Warranty and 15-Day Return Policy
Magnius is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for two years. And, if you don’t like your Magnius, you can still send it back for a refund, minus 15% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving your amp.

JDS Labs warranty>
jds.png

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
So what is the warranty on JDS Labs stuff and Schiit?

JDS; "Our amplifiers and DACs are backed by a 2-year warranty. We provide real engineering support and guidance to all of our customers."

Schiit; 2 to 5 years depending on product.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The JDS Labs cables are only warranted for 30 days? They must not have a lot of confidence in the electron storage of their wire. o_O

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
"In the event that your product doesn’t work as expected, or you’d like someone to walk you through setup, Amazon offers free product support over the phone on eligible purchases for up to 90 days."

The above is for "product support" over the phone, it says nothing of returns/replacement. And what's an "eligible purchase"? A Topping DAC?

Honestly, I'd feel better knowing I could speak to someone at Schiit or JDS, over someone at Amazon.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The above is for "product support" over the phone, it says nothing of returns/replacement. And what's an "eligible purchase"? A Topping DAC?

Honestly, I'd feel better knowing I could speak to someone at Schiit or JDS, over someone at Amazon.
I imagine that a Amazon return would be done online. That and I consider the display, driver ccty and related power supply stuff to be just more to go wrong. Schiit and LDS Labs have it together that way for inexpensive DACS and headphone amps. From what I understand the DACs work and no need for mucking with settings and stuff. The Topping is probably better in some ways.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I imagine that a Amazon return would be done online. That and I consider the display, driver ccty and related power supply stuff to be just more to go wrong. Schiit and LDS Labs have it together that way for inexpensive DACS and headphone amps. From what I understand the DACs work and no need for mucking with settings and stuff. The Topping is probably better in some ways.

What I'd like to see from Schiit and or JDS is a balanced DAC pre in the $350-$400 range, with a volume knob. For use with desktop active monitors.

GDK

Forum Donor
Ha, I was editing as you posted, to add 'balanced'.
It is definitely not that, but while you lose in not having a balanced connection, you gain in having a beautiful *ahem* knob.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely. Up to 30 days if I'm not mistaken.
By the time a CDN buyer imports a JDS Labs or Schiit product it would maybe be better to buy the Topping from amazon.ca and get the extra totaling 4 years full warranty for the extra $45.13 CDN. No idea...lol but a 4 years warranty with payment for irreplaceable units is pretty good service.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
By the time a CDN buyer imports a JDS Labs or Schiit product it would maybe be better to buy the Topping from amazon.ca and get the extra totaling 4 years full warranty for the extra $45.13 CDN. No idea...lol but a 4 years warranty with payment for irreplaceable units is pretty good service.

$45 added to a $199 product is not a smart use of money in my opinion. Unless however there is a high rate of failure for said product. In which case I'd move on to something with a better track record for reliability. But that's just me.

And to keep this in context, both the OP and I are in the U.S. Hence the recommendations and discussion for U.S. based products.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And to keep this in context, both the OP and I are in the U.S. Hence the recommendations and discussion for U.S. based products.
I got that wayy back. I stay out of that because it gets political. I dig the JDS and Schiit DACs for the simplicity and the one headphone amp from Schiit has great power output specs.

Top Bottom