• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High failure rate with Topping products?

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The local high-end shop knows about ASR and Topping and SMSL etc. They dismiss these brands as being unreliable and of low quality. It would be annoying to have to replace something but at that price compared to their boutique stuff I’m happy to replace my Chinese DAC if required. But my Topping D10 has been flawless.
So much of the audio hobby is in the status. Just like some guys who drive exotic sports cars. They are not ‘drivers’ just rich guys showing off.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Electronics tend to fail within the first couple months if there are bad parts. I have a 2 year warranty on my Topping stuff but I expect I’ll get many years of enjoyment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The local high-end shop knows about ASR and Topping and SMSL etc. They dismiss these brands as being unreliable and of low quality. It would be annoying to have to replace something but at that price compared to their boutique stuff I’m happy to replace my Chinese DAC if required. But my Topping D10 has been flawless.
So much of the audio hobby is in the status. Just like some guys who drive exotic sports cars. They are not ‘drivers’ just rich guys showing off.
Does this same shop sell silly audiophool wires? I'd dismiss them of having anything to say particularly if they do....

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does this same shop sell silly audiophool wires? I'd dismiss them of having anything to say particularly if they do....
Of course they do. Hahaha.
I used to like to go in to look at pretty electronic things but it’s just annoying now knowing that my system is truly awesome but if I told them what it was I would get looked down their nose at.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course they do. Hahaha.
I used to like to go in to look at pretty electronic things but it’s just annoying now knowing that my system is truly awesome but if I told them what it was I would get looked down their nose at.
F*** 'em then, and who cares what they think when they sell silly crap?

OP
T

Tom Prowda

About 18 months ago I purchased a Topping DX-7s DAC/headphone amp that I've been using in my audio system. I've been greatly pleased with the performance....until 2 months ago when the unit started to distort heavily on both my USB and coax digital sources. Communication with Topping has been challenging, sometimes taking up to a week to respond to any inquiries. There is no US service for these units so after me badgering them several times, they very reluctantly gave me a shipping address in China, which I have to pay shipping both ways, in addition to a wait of several months to get it checked out and repaired.

I've started to hear and see rumblings that Topping has a high failure rate and I'm wondering if this is true. If so, it's very disappointing, as their products get such great ratings for very high performance and sound quality at very affordable prices, and I've been VERY highly satisfied with the performance, up to now.

I'm searching for an alternative to use while I wait for them to fix my unit, and to have as a backup incase of any future problems. The headphone amp part is not much concern to me, but I do need any replacement to have both USB and coax digital inputs, as I have a DVD player I use as a transport for playing the huge CD collection I still have.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Tom Prowda
Further update: Turns out the distortion was operator error on my part. I misread a statement about a USB interface firmware update, thought I was updating the firmware for my model, but turned out it was actually for a different model. Downloaded the correct interface; no more distortion. Very happy Topping owner once again.

A great many of these inexpensive, very high performance digital products are disparaged by high end dealers because they are a major threat to their glittering glitzy blingy and expensive audio jewelry they sell. Many audiophiles just read the reviews in TAS and Stereophile and make a buying decision from the reviews because there are likely no dealers in their area that carry products they can actually listen to, outside of a Best Buy, or someplace similar.

I purchased the Topping out of sheer poverty and a phenomenal deal on Drop, before they went to retail pricing. It's actually turned out I could have purchased an even more basic model and not suffered for sound quality, but how could I resist a $650-$700 unit for $259(!)? I really don't need the headphone amplifier or even any extra inputs other than USB. My only regret is that I didn't get the model variation with Bluetooth

Bleib

Major Contributor
So far used two DACs, E30 and DX3 Pro+ and both have worked very well

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Further update: Turns out the distortion was operator error on my part.

A great many of these inexpensive, very high performance digital products are disparaged by high end dealers because they are a major threat to their glittering glitzy blingy and expensive audio jewelry they sell.

I purchased the Topping out of sheer poverty and a phenomenal deal on Drop...

Thanks for the update.

Whenever purchasing anything made half-way around the world, with no local support, you have to carefully weigh and judge the price/performance/potential repair hassle, with whatever you can buy locally.

An ethical dealer will not run down a competing brand, but rather show-off and highlight the advantages of what they are selling, including the support and warranty angle.

tvih

Now if only repairing sooo many things outside of warranty didn't cost as much as a new product anyway, if it even can be done. Certainly not a problem limited to "cheap" brands.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now if only repairing sooo many things outside of warranty didn't cost as much as a new product anyway, if it even can be done. Certainly not a problem limited to "cheap" brands.
The transition from discrete components to stamped out circuit boards pretty much ended the idea of 'repair'. At least in the usual sense of the word. Now, it's just replace the entire circuit board if it goes bad.

Due to high volume and the necessities of mass-production, some items have to be replaced wholesale. Because you can't get to the circuit board easily. In another thread I mentioned a Fender modeling combo amp. For reasons of el-cheapo manufacture, the headphone input jack is part of the circuit board. Other than 'cheapness', why would anyone design a part that involves constant in and out plugging that way?

Not only that, but the entire unit is designed as a sealed box, so to even get to the board you have to pull out a bunch of wood staples. Good luck putting Humpty back together, once you do that.

After it failed, Fender simply replaced the entire unit via their local warranty station. I asked the tech what they did with the old unit?, and he said they fill out some 'salvage' forms, and then throw the thing in the dumpster in the back on the facility.

tvih

After it failed, Fender simply replaced the entire unit via their local warranty station. I asked the tech what they did with the old unit?, and he said they fill out some 'salvage' forms, and then throw the thing in the dumpster in the back on the facility.
Yep. The amount of utter waste in the "modern economy" is rather sickening. I think it's similarly one reason I'm hesitant to ever get rid of stuff that's in working order even by selling to other individuals - worried it'll just end up trashed somewhere rather than find some actual use, which I myself might down the line. Heck, I still even have my first ever "discrete" speakers, JPW Mini Monitors, that I bought over 20 years ago - and they've indeed actually recently been use again in my bedroom in my "listen to while trying to fall asleep" set as I've found I fall asleep better with music on. They have barely any bass as anyone familiar with them knows, but for late night that's even kind of a bonus as they surely won't distract any neighbors. So they care of that job while the other four pairs of speakers I have handle the rest in my two surround setups - the only pair of "HIFI" speakers I ever sold was to my brother who still uses them 8+ years later :p

Aside from some headphones and basic cables the new Topping DX3 Pro+ I just got is actually the first piece of new audio equipment I've gotten since 2012. I also have a Topping TP30 tripath USB-DAC/HP+speaker amp I got in 2011 or so, and it's still in perfect working order. Here's hoping the DX3P+ follows its example...

Last edited:

slave

About 18 months ago I purchased a Topping DX-7s DAC .... I've started to hear and see rumblings that Topping has a high failure rate and I'm wondering if this is true.
IME, retailers in the upper end, like audiophile stuff, will stock & continue to stock products that not only sell well, but will not fail repeatedly. Cos they're not worth the bullshit andloss of reputation involved. If they prove to be a dud, they stop getting stocked. Retailers in my city stock Topping, so I would venture a guess their fail rate is close to the standard rate. Whatever that rate is of course.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Retailers in my city stock Topping, so I would venture a guess their fail rate is close to the standard rate.
I always assumed that Topping was pretty much a direct buy from the factory, via their Amazon store. If you have a local dealer that will provide warranty support at the point of purchase, which with this type of gear, means replacement, then that goes a long way in making the brand viable.

My big concern about any brand (certainly don't want to single out Topping) without local support is the possible hassle if something goes wrong. On a one-hundred dollar item, it's not that big of a deal. When you approach one-thousand dollars, it is a big deal.

tvih

My big concern about any brand (certainly don't want to single out Topping) without local support is the possible hassle if something goes wrong. On a one-hundred dollar item, it's not that big of a deal. When you approach one-thousand dollars, it is a big deal.
Yeah, the availability of a domestic retailer - I know of only one in my country that sells Topping - was definitely a big factor in the DX3P+ purchase as far as dealing with potential problems go, even if it's "only" 200€. The TP30 I bought from eBay back in the day and would've been more or less screwed had it not worked or stopped working, but it only cost like 80€ or something at the time and as such a lesser risk. Definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

Top Bottom