• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Energy Density Lithium Sulphur Battery Development

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The limits on PV solar exceed world energy use.

During peak solar output or at night when people are charging their EV's?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Energy capture and storage is a thing in the 21st century...

(Though I suppose a massive volcanic eruption, giant meteor, or nuclear winter could make solar unusable.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Humm, try it sometime. You can't "have" anything, theres just no place to keep it. My place is 800 sq and it's very difficult in this size. I hope he lives in a very moderate climate and can spend a lot of time outdoors. Under other circumstances we call that a jail cell and put folks in it for punishment. LOL.
If you want to be very Eco, find a good sight to build an unground "hill house" with only a southern exposure. You can then build as large as desired and have near the same utiliy savings. They were quite popular at one time but I don't hear anything about them now. Maybe I just don't read the right stuff. :)
441cf7a982ab2960d009c8c29b27a4d9.jpg

2015-04-14-1429034254-6082567-Underground_1.jpg
When I studied Architectural Mechanical Drafting I designed a underground house complete with heat gains and losses. It would have been a warm place even in winter with the gains from natural sunlight. It required lots of ventilation and lots of sealant on the exterior concrete.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you know - when it's night "here" it's not night "there"? ;)

Seriously, though, Google "grid scale storage". It will be the primary source of power at night/when the wind slows down locally. While natural gas is so cheap and plentiful it will be with us for our lifetimes, other physical (and renewable stores) of energy may also become economically feasible, for example hydrogen and ammonia. Ammonia is a very interesting one as a possible replacement for petroleum under this model: Vast solar in the western Sahara/Australia, etc. is used to generate ammonia, which is then shipped in tankers like petroleum for use in less-sunny/out-of-season countries. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Solar_irradiance The waste product of oxidizing ammonia is.... air & water. After all, fossil fuels are merely nature's storehouse of ancient of solar power.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
My concern with battery powered cars is the load on the energy providing capacity of electricity suppliers if the cars caught on en masse. We now get power outages during a hot weather spell when house air conditions run full speed ahead. Well, an A/C draws quite a bit less than a car charger would, and there are likely to be more than one car per home, whereas with A/C, there's usually just one chiller per home. If electric cars got really popular, I see them as possibly overwhelming the grid. I could see the proliferation of these cars if we can master fusion power generation for power plants. Then we could have low pollution electricity galore. Then the electric cars would be just dandy.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I
My concern with battery powered cars is the load on the energy providing capacity of electricity suppliers if the cars caught on en masse. We now get power outages during a hot weather spell when house air conditions run full speed ahead. Well, an A/C draws quite a bit less than a car charger would, and there are likely to be more than one car per home, whereas with A/C, there's usually just one chiller per home. If electric cars got really popular, I see them as possibly overwhelming the grid. I could see the proliferation of these cars if we can master fusion power generation for power plants. Then we could have low pollution electricity galore. Then the electric cars would be just dandy.
In Canada here there is government research for implementing mini-nuke reactors. Canada has the largest operating nuke reactor. The research started at MIT and is now in Canada and looks like it might go forward. We have lotsaaa hydroelectric power that is sold to the USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Nuclear_Generating_Station

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I/C engines are the single-ended direct-heated triode amplifiers of transportation.
(inferior in every way -- but they've got soul)

1597622068647.png

egellings

Major Contributor
Hydroelectric power is excellent, but the falling water resources are not available everywhere. Wind is also promising if the wind turbines don't disturb anyone (have offshore installations of them!) , as is ocean wave power. I still say that fusion, if perfected, will solve the problem handily. Fission works but leaves long lasting dangerous residue that must be kept out of the environment for generations to come. If it weren't for that problem, and the chance of runaway reactions (Chernobyl) I'd be all in for fission as a power source. A fusion reactor cannot run away--it just fizzles out if something goes wrong--a sort of fail-safe.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
re: mass use of EVs - the grid needs to be updated, for sure.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We all have to think differently. EVs are not "users" electricity most of the time, they are grid storage. Fill 'em up with cheap wind power at night, plug them in to DISCHARGE at peak power consumption times in the evening when solar goes down. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...tric-grid-they-are-the-solution/#5a845dee71f8

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom