• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High end Vintage SS amp vs the best Class D amps

OP
G

Goodman

LoL you must like a heater in the room I gather? :D;)

Performance vs energy usage... class D wins every time. I also have vintage AB amps and a new class D amp... class A is just silly in 2021.

JSmith
They are not silly if they sounds best (not always the case). Perhaps low efficiency speakers are silly.

OP
G

Goodman

That's interesting and seemingly part of the conundrum. On one hand I hear in many cases with average speakers that our amps are usually barely taxed, e.g. if playing below 80 or 75 db. Others will emphasize that "you actually need more power than you assume" (e.g. for big peaks/transients). What's a poor audiophile to do?
Buy highly eficient speakers.

OP
G

Goodman

And ban all V8s, ban leaving your lights on when you go out, ban houses without double glazing, ban burning a pile of dead leaves and ban billionaires taking rocket trips for a few seconds of weightlessness.
If you are being facicious, you get a "big Like"

jae

Major Contributor
Technical question - I have four big class A amps. Am I reaching the theoretical limits of ostentation?

Only 4? I think the theoretical limits of your lower back will be more of a concern before worrying about reaching the limits of audiophile vanity.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
multiple wall hanging art tragedies.
Consider the classics to avoid faux paws...

dogs-playing-pool-2.jpg

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only 4? I think the theoretical limits of your lower back will be more of a concern before worrying about reaching the limits of audiophile vanity.
Quite true. There are no theoretical limits.

Jeff Bezos just tested the World's largest subwoofer.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
General FYI. I just talked myself :eek: into buying another 6ch Nc502mp amp from Buckeye Amps for $1600usd shipped. Have already made arrangements with Amir to bench test then do a Tear down inspection as well. Amp is projected to ship directly to Amir around Mid-September. Will be the first Hypex Nc502mp tested by Amir.

Only 3 NC502mp modules in one box? - I'll raise you by 1 ;) - https://www.apollonaudio.com/apollon-ncmp8350-hypex-based-multichannel-class-d-amplifier/
But I can't compete with your overall system channel count!

Mine runs off a 16amp circuit with no problem. Looking forward to Amir's review.

dougi

General FYI. I just talked myself :eek: into buying another 6ch Nc502mp amp from Buckeye Amps for $1600usd shipped. Have already made arrangements with Amir to bench test then do a Tear down inspection as well. Amp is projected to ship directly to Amir around Mid-September. Will be the first Hypex Nc502mp tested by Amir.
Didn't he measure the March Audio p502 with the same module? Measurements

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Plenty of anecdotal and subjective comparisons are out there, but they are full of fluff and thin on objective differences. The Benchmark is underpowered for a stereo power amplifier. As a bridged mono amplifier, it is in the realms of reasonably adequate power for a SOTA product, but you need two, and the performance drops off in some key areas.

Accuphase gear is essentially product you will own for your lifetime. You'll never want anything else. Ever. It costs a fortune, but is built absolutely beautifully, is extremely conservatively designed and their specifictions are very modest. They always outperform their "guaranteed" specs, particularly in the rated power department.

If you are looking for objective comparisons, it gets tricky and a whole slew of arguments ensue. There are performance parameters where "classic" amplifers exceed Class Ds and there are some Class Ds that challenge any, and all traditional designs in other areas. The playing field is not level unfortunately.

At this point, Class D in the forms of the Hypex and Purifi offerings are close to, but not equalling, other excellent topologies. But what they do for the money is essentially impossible to beat. That makes for a compelling value proposition for many people. Trouble is, the implementations are a 'wild west' of quality and there are only a few companies doing justice to the amplifier modules themselves.

Absolute SOTA in amplification is say, a Halcro Eclipse. As far as I am aware, nothing comes close in all the parameters that actually define a high fidelity amplifier. But a pair costs US$70k... (AU $120k in Aus). Ouch. They are my lottery winnings amps. :)

@boXem | audio (above) has a range of Class Ds. I have not used or heard any of his products, but based on the attention to detail in design and assembly, I would expect them to be a very good option, albeit at a much lower and affordable price.
John could you elaborate a bit on the drop in performance of the AHB2 in bridged bode? My understanding is that the SINAD drops a bit, not significant, and that the bridged amp is less able to support low impedance speakers than a true monobloc would be.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Didn't he measure the March Audio p502 with the same module? Measurements
Apparently yes. Missed this in my search. However, I still think a review of the Buckeye build and tear down is important to some members. Thank you for the catch.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That's interesting and seemingly part of the conundrum. On one hand I hear in many cases with average speakers that our amps are usually barely taxed, e.g. if playing below 80 or 75 db. Others will emphasize that "you actually need more power than you assume" (e.g. for big peaks/transients). What's a poor audiophile to do?
Have you come across this <https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/09/musings-how-much-amplifier-power-do-you.html>? You'll need a multimeter (actually, you only need a voltmeter but do those exist as a separate thing anyway?).

DWPress

Forum Donor

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have cracked floor tile and crated sheet rock cracks in the past. :facepalm: Not counting dishes, glassware and multiple wall hanging art tragedies.
I’m wondering how you reconcile this with the notion expressed in your signature line?

Burning Sounds

Apparently yes. Missed this in my search. However, I still think a review of the Buckeye build and tear down is important to some members. Thank you for the catch.

Yes, it would be great if Amir could do a crosstalk measurement between adjacent modules. I've also noticed that although the overall temperature of these modules in normal usage is low (heatsinks typically at about 35C) there are a few components that get much hotter, such as the small electrolytics near the output coils.

Burning Sounds

Technical question - I have four big class A amps. Am I reaching the theoretical limits of ostentation?

No, not at all, but you are beginning to realise you are getting closer to being able to drive a pair of LX521s. Go on, you know you want to - you might even start liking that Jeff Beck album. :cool:

Top Bottom