• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High end av receiver vs. mid-tier stereo amplifier?

dorakeg

My Wharfedale speakers much more punchier when connected to Onkyo amp than to Yamaha AVR. Sold my AVR replaced with Yamaha soundbar and now more space in TV area and better integration to the TV and reduce the electricity cost.

Those products are built for different purpose. From the begining, power supply, main board, capacitors, etc are all different design. So why doesn’t Cambridge Audio produce AVR if all audio are the same? It only attach the HDMI passthrough in its amp.

I would say that it's best not to take things too seriously here.

Reactions: JRS

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Different purpose between HiFi stereo and AVR TV.

What does that mean in human-understandable language that makes sense?

True of false - the purpose of an audio amplifier is to take an input signal and increase its amplitude.

JktHifi

What does that mean in human-understandable language that makes sense?

True of false - the purpose of an audio amplifier is to take an input signal and increase its amplitude.
True.

Keb’ Mo’ said: “We’re all just waitin’ on the medicine man”
so it’s all amplifier.

JktHifi

I love Keb Mo but I think he was saying don't suck up to the snake oil to an extent, so on the amp thing, meh. :)
My Onkyo Hi-Fi stereo cost is $200 and my old Yamaha AVR TV cost is $600, probably now Aventage $2000. It’s not snake oil even to an extent.

dorakeg

Different purpose between HiFi stereo and AVR TV.

For avr vs stereo, it's actually better to discuss it in avforum, not here. From what I have observed, people here are not able to differentiate between the 2 and there is no point arguing about it here.

Beave

Major Contributor
For avr vs stereo, it's actually better to discuss it in avforum, not here. From what I have observed, people here are not able to differentiate between the 2 and there is no point arguing about it here.

I can easily differentiate between an AVR and a stereo amp/receiver. An AVR has more speaker connectors. Done. Easy.

Got anything else?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My Onkyo Hi-Fi stereo cost is $200 and my old Yamaha AVR TV cost is $600, probably now Aventage $2000. It’s not snake oil even to an extent.
Well if you're into the whole classification thing then you just have "lo-fi" gear even when it's not. Your choice. I tend to think you simply need more experience.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Sorry but I call nonsense on that one.
The only way an amplifier would be able to affect stereo imaging, would be a gross channel imbalance, be it amplitude or phase.
Doesn't matter whether its bass shy, has rolled off high frequencies, or has a high output impedance, leading to resonances and muddy/exaggerated bass.
Doesn't matter whether it has enough power to do transients w/o clipping or not.

As long as both channels are driven equally, stereo imaging would not be affected.

Anecdotal evidence: my 270€ budget, entry level Yammy AVR, every audiophile would laugh at can do stereo imaging just fine.
The only thing that mattered here was me being precise enough during the speaker placement.
2cm actually made a noticeable difference here. :'D
Psycho-Acoustics are always interesting - Vinyl / LP's often give better imaging / staging impression - and tests have shown that this can be replicated with digital, by increaseing the background noise level !!!

It well may be that some of the components that do imaging exceptionally well, have more noise of the right sort....

JktHifi

Well if you're into the whole classification thing then you just have "lo-fi" gear even when it's not. Your choice. I tend to think you simply need more experience.
I only want to share my experience.

First I buy Yamaha AVR along with JBL both front and surround (back) speakers. A few years later I replace JBL with Wharfedale plus Klipsch subwoofer. Then a few years later I buy Onkyo stereo amp (I won’t call this Hi-Fi) and use existing speaker. Lastly I bought Yamaha soundbar after sold the AVR along with surround speakers and Klipsch sub (because the soundbar already had wireless sub).

So there are only stereo amp (with front left and right speakers) and soundbar left at my home now. It’s already almost 10 years like this.

My message here: Don’t waste your money. Just straight to the Tank which is more punchier. But the Tank is bad for Cinema Dolby, DTS, etc, and need sub for BOOMMMM…

Last edited:

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, room correction and bass management, things that also make stereo listening more “HiFi”.

Luckily the AV-receivers have "Pure direct" option so it's easy to get rid of those pesky corrections messing up the sound and enjoy the ultimate audiophile experience that is large speakers/subwoofers in a typical small to mid size, concrete walled living room with no acoustic treatment.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL

Top Bottom