• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High End 4K Bluray Player Suggestions?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
After having reliability problems with my Epson projector I bit the bullet and bought a Sony 4K projector and the dealer threw in a Sony UPB-X1000ES which works more reliably than the Oppo 105 I had been using, which skipped on quite a few DVDs. I still use the Oppo for the audio of videos, SACDs and so forth.

The Sony X1000ES won't get Dolby Vision firmare update.
For the OP it's missing that extra to go along with his OLED Dolby Vision 4K TV.
In your situation it's different; no front projector supports Dolby Vision.

Your Oppo 105, that's a nice player. It has great support and reliability.
Contact Oppo and mention to them the skipping of few DVDs.
___

Extra: TV Burn-in Testing ...
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Last edited:
OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Ordered the Oppo, it’s coming soon!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ordered the Oppo, it’s coming soon!
I'm sure you'll be happy. Even the 203 will allow you to play DVD-Audio and SACD if you grow interested in such and will probably sound glorious with them.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Got the Oppo in! Put in Dark Knight Rises in 4k. Man does it look amazing on my LG C7 o_O
Also the Oppo UDP-203 is gigantic. Size of almost 1.5 PS4 Pros.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It depends; if you have a Dolby Vision TV, the Oppo 203 is a better match.
If you have a budget of say less than $200, the Sony X800 fits the bill...$150 when on sale.
If you want apps straight from the player, the Sony X800 is the ticket.
If you need a front panel display, the Oppo 203 is the ticket.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-4k-blu-ray-player/

If you want the very best the Oppo 205 it is.
If you don't use the analog connections the Oppo 203 it is.
If you want solid performance and value and apps, the Sony X800 it is.

The main difference is Dolby Vision, and Dolby Vision, in my opinion is not the last word yet in picture quality and compatibility.
The other main difference is the apps; Sony has them, Oppo has none.
And last is the price difference; $550 (Oppo 203) vs $150 (Sony X800 on sale).

If $400 difference don't mean much, to me it means dic, so Oppo 203 (no apps).
The Sony X800 I like, I have no issues. The Oppo 205 I like, I have no issues.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/23/the-best-4k-blu-ray-player/

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
FWIW, my experience (Samsung The Frame) with 4K is that it’s still immature technology. I am especially thinking of dynamic range, brightness (nits) and processing power (the Samsung doesn’t handle HDR, especially the handling of black/darker areas).

Standards (Dolby etc) are all over the place.

What a mess!

In comparison my Kuro 65, 10 years old, is still pretty good and the accompanying BDP LX91 is excellent (slow though).

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for a high end 4k Bluray player where I could just buy it once and not be worried about replacing it for a very long time.

I was considering the Oppo UDP-203 as it seems to have everything one would need except streaming (My LG C7's built in streaming is fantastic anyways) and has Dolby Vision support as well. But is Dolby Vision even much of a big step from just normal HDR? It also only has a switching power supply but I'm only going to use it for video so I don't feel like this could even remotely be an issue (there is a $380 dollar PSU mod for it online though for "improved video quality" -.-).

As for the Oppo UDP-205 I don't want to pay for premium audio features I don't need (plan on just using my RME with the Bluray Player through the coaxial cable).

Slight apprehension over amirm's look inside another Oppo player and discovered some not so quality parts but it still seems like an attractive option.

The only other high end 4K players I see are the Sony UPB-X1000ES which doesn't do Dolby Vision and has streaming which isn't useful in my case. Another one is the Panasonic DMP-UB900 which also doesn't have Dolby Vision.

Any opinions? Hell are these high end 4K players even worth it?
I went for playing blu ray discs to Kaleidescape. I love it and I will never go back. Is a system more expensive than a player? Yes by a lot but the quality is absolutely top notch for video and sound. You check it out

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I waffled between the Sony X800 and Oppo BDP-203 for a month or three. I have owned both brands (then and now). In the end I went with Oppo for its longevity and tech support. Oppo updates for years after releasing and discontinuing a product whilst Sony will while provide FW updates for a year or two IME. I also like the idea of giving my money to a small, very responsive local'ish company instead of a giant conglomerate though components in both players come from overseas. Sony tech support for me has been hit or miss and several times the answer was "too bad, model discontinued, interest you in our new model?" while Oppo still supports my 7+ year old player. FW updates are big for Oppo, much better future-proofing, whilst Sony will generally provide support for just a little while after the next model rolls out (e.g. about 18 months).

FWIWFM - Don

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for these other perspectives, @DonH56, @svart-hvitt, and @Jerry Sobel. My friend who is Blu-ray player shopping started thinking about other options after comparing the feature sets of the Sony and Oppo units. I'll come back with any other questions that arise.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for these other perspectives, @DonH56, @svart-hvitt, and @Jerry Sobel. My friend who is Blu-ray player shopping started thinking about other options after comparing the feature sets of the Sony and Oppo units. I'll come back with any other questions that arise.
Unless he has interest in SACD and the extra audio tricks OPPO supplys, the Sony looks like the one to me. I have the Sammy 8500 since the others weren't available when I got mine. But no matter a my TV doesn't do Dolby Vision in any case.
With the exception of the OPPO's, the pricing, when comparing to the costs of the TV or some of our audio gear, these things should be considered disposable in any case. $200-300 is peanut money compared to most anything else we look at . LOL

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The feature sets are pretty similar. The Sony X800 does play SACDs. There were some cons for either, but a couple of them Oppo resolved with FW updates. Not that the Sony isn't a fine player, and now runs about $100 cheaper (at least, have not checked lately) than my Opp UDP-203. When I was looking they were roughly the same price but the Oppo has not dropped while the Sony has. The UDP-205 adds higher-end DACs and better analog outputs but I am using HDMI so did not pop for the 205 (which wasn't available yet when I got my 203 though they were hinting at it).

I would be happy now if I had the X800 but am happy I stuck with Oppo. Though Amir's measurements of the 105 give me pause...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The feature sets are pretty similar. The Sony X800 does play SACDs. There were some cons for either, but a couple of them Oppo resolved with FW updates. Not that the Sony isn't a fine player, and now runs about $100 cheaper (at least, have not checked lately) than my Opp UDP-203.

At least last fall when I was shopping for a successor to my OPPO BDP-83, the price delta was considerably more. Right around $400. I agree OPPO support is way better. I like not having "apps" on my disk player - that's what the AppleTV is for! But I didn't see $400 added value on the UDP-203. I haven't had any issues worth noting with the X800, though I also have not used it much.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The best news is that they'll all deliver incredible quality video off those little BD's that we could have only dreamed about 10 years ago.
And at a peanuts cost that makes the purchasing decision a choice between some small details that will be irrelevant in just a couple years. :D
Whenever I replace my current 4K Sammy I'll probably do the same as I did with my last (still working) BluRay player, just threw it in the garbage, it was of zero value and just collected dust on the shelf.. LOL

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
At least last fall when I was shopping for a successor to my OPPO BDP-83, the price delta was considerably more. Right around $400. I agree OPPO support is way better. I like not having "apps" on my disk player - that's what the AppleTV is for! But I didn't see $400 added value on the UDP-203. I haven't had any issues worth noting with the X800, though I also have not used it much.

Checked Crutchfield just for grins and the Oppo UDP-203 is ~$560, Sony UBP-X800 is ~$280. So yes huge difference, 2x! At that price I would have just gotten the Sony. When I got mine the Oppo was $499 and Sony $399 IIRC. Both were new, and the Sony was out of stock almost everywhere, so I'm guessing there was some price gouging. Note I am talking about the Oppo 203, not the more expensive "audiophile" 205. The 205 adds some additional features beyond the improved analog outputs and is ~$1299. (All prices USD.) A little vexing that Crutchfield is charging a premium vs. ordering online direct from Oppo.

Dismayed

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Faith is good, it drives the world we live in.

If we talk "Hi-End" 4K Blu-players, today only the Oppo 205 will fit the bill.
It is equally apt @ the audio side as it is on the video side. It's also a DAC, a headphone preamp, an analog audio component with XLR stereo jacks.

The next below hi-end 4K BR player is the 203, @ $549 list, and that price is always fixed, it never, never go on sale lower...unless a refurb for $439.
And of course private sales, but the Oppo players keep their value, so you won't find heavy discount on them, like say for half price. You got to be real lucky, once in a blue moon.

By the way the Sony X800 is $299 list, not $399.
And during the last Boxing Day period it was on sale for $149, and during the Holidays too.
Now it is between roughly $200 and $280.

For most mid-fi videophiles the Oppo 203 is the top best.
For most low budget people without a Dolby Vision TV the Sony X800 is the top choice.

Now, for support, reliability, service, warranty, etc., Oppo is unparalleled in the industry.
And the 203 is not without its issues here and there, no player is invincible all the way across the universe.

And the Sony X800 neither is the Queen of the galaxy.

* Last, scientifically speaking, video and audio measurements, you are going to find few reviews of the Oppo 203 with them, and none of the Sony X800.
If it means something today in the year 2018, only you can evaluate that meaning.

If you contemplate using your 4K BR player for say the next 3 or 5 years, which is a heck of a long time today, say 5 years...till year 2023, no one, and I mean nobody can tell you if your Oppo 203 or Sony 800 will still be functioning all the way properly in your own home, nobody.
There are no two people who use their machines the exact same as the next.

Faith is good, it drives the people in the world ...

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
We didn't even talk about Panasonic higher end 4K Blu-ray players...
...The 900 and the 700, which none support Dolby Vision.
But the upcoming 820 will.

In a next liaison we'll intercept the comet coming up from space.
Till then enjoy the movies in 4K, in HDR, in Dolby Vision, with Dolby Atmos, in 3D, in 2D, on DVD, on Netflix, streaming, the music, in stereo, in multichannel, on CD, on SACD, on Blu-ray Audio, streaming, hi-res audio files, all that great John Coltrane saxophone jazz.

WhaT is Life?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
We didn't even talk about Panasonic higher end 4K Blu-ray players...
...The 900 and the 700, which none support Dolby Vision.
But the upcoming 820 will.

In a next liaison we'll intercept the comet coming up from space.
Till then enjoy the movies in 4K, in HDR, in Dolby Vision, with Dolby Atmos, in 3D, in 2D, on DVD, on Netflix, streaming, the music, in stereo, in multichannel, on CD, on SACD, on Blu-ray Audio, streaming, hi-res audio files, all that great John Coltrane saxophone jazz.

WhaT is Life?

You have a point. All the different standards are a mess! To be overcome by software but industry insists on hardware due to DRM which drives waste and money. Talk about hypocrisy (because the same producers talk about how environmentally focussed they are).

Top Bottom