• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High-end ($3000+) class-D amplifiers

Which one?

• Primare A35.2

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Bel Canto e1X amp

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • McIntosh MI254

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • NAD M22

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • NAD C298

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Other ($3000+), specify in comments

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That said I think that among the amp listed only the Primare is an original class D design, maybe the McIntosh but not sure. The others are all based on Putzeys tech. So it would be interesting to test the Primare.

Soundstage

My endgame power amplifier will be based on the yet to be released high power Purifi amplifier modules built by Apollon. Patiently waiting until then.
Do they have fancy VU meters? Or clipping indicators?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I'm gonna go with the most ridiculously overpriced of the lot. I've always loved the low-key styling of the Bel Canto products... they always look like DIY by way of OCD to me... which is not a bad thing IMO. I'd never bring myself to pay their premium however.

I've always subscribed to the 10% rule as far as amplification is concerned... so since I'm not prepared to drop $30K+ on speakers at the moment, I wouldn't be interested in paying $3K+ for an amp either. I love music and gear... but I try to only overspend when I can live in it or drive it (or make money with it).

You can get the former with IOM's nCore monos... but they don't belong in this thread as even with a weakening dollar they don't even cost $1K ea. ;)
iom_classic_preview_small.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jokes aside, I don't care about VU meters, and with 1,000+ watts in 4 ohms, no need for clipping indicators as it will not clip. :D

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh MI254
$4500
250 wpc into 8 ohms
23.5 lbs (10.7 kg)

MI254-Angle.ashx
If it were me, and I had to choose between just the aforementioned amps, no sneaking home a Benchmark ABH2, I might pick the McIntosh because it's a 4-channel amplifier, and I could use 4 channels. As such, it's a good deal cheaper than a pair of Benchmarks. It appears to have 4x Hypex NC500OEM modules and an SMPS lurking under the hood.

carlob

Forum Donor
If it were me, and I had to choose between just the aforementioned amps, no sneaking home a Benchmark ABH2, I might pick the McIntosh because it's a 4-channel amplifier, and I could use 4 channels. As such, it's a good deal cheaper than a pair of Benchmarks. It appears to have 4x Hypex NC500OEM modules and an SMPS lurking under the hood.

I am not sure that they are using Ncore modules (it does 250W into 8R and 300W into 4R), in any case the McIntosh is positioned for distributed sound, home theatre custom installations, for surrounds or atmos channels, not really an high-end product in their lineup.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

carlob

Forum Donor
So the only non ncore/purifi based amp in the OP list is the Primare

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NC500 is 400W into 8 Ohm and 700W into 4 Ohm, cannot be.
As implemented by McIntosh, it probably runs out of power supply before maximum output of NCORE modules is reached, perhaps a deliberate decision to prevent people from blowing up their amplifiers.

bigLP

Forum Donor
Have any of these been measured? I'd be worried that they're not as good sonically as the best ones we've seen measured here(March Audio, Nord). They might be just as good as Nord/March, but we know it's not really possible to be any better. These also seem pretty poor price/performance. You should be able to get 400+/channel into 8 ohms with state of the art amp performance for ~$1,500 from the best amp makers.

Honestly not familiar with all of these brands, but you may be paying for name/aesthetic here more so than for actual sonic performance. And that's perfectly ok if you're fine with that. I know people that want the Mc gear for the looks, and I must admit I do think a full rack of McIntosh gear looks pretty slick.

What are you looking for?
My ATI 542NC has been faultless. Its little brother measured pretty good here. I think retail is 3000/street price lower.

OP
A

asruser2020

What is High End?

It's the difference between an Apple laptop and an Asus laptop with the same CPU. It's the difference between a BMW 3-series and a Honda Accord with the same engine horsepower. The differences should be apparent if you're a consumer of any sort. I can't provide an exact definition, but I would say "high end" comprises the following:

• Beautiful, useful, and innovative design (I'm talking Dieter Rams-style design principles)
  • Superior fit and finish (e.g. no plastic; metal knobs that turn just right; non-folded metalwork; no rattling)
  • It just works out of the box
  • Brand recognition (earned the hard way over years)
  • Very good or excellent performance
  • Very good or excellent service

But more than anything, I think a high-end product looks like a team of people put a lot of thought into the details, meaning it doesn't look like something I built myself. I am paying good money for the work of these folks.

Top Bottom