• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High Bitrate FLAC - Can YOU even hear the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

audiofilet

Right...

Is there an audible difference under controlled conditions. If that can't demonstrated, there's no problem to be solved.
Sure, but I believe the more important question should be, what might cause the perception of an audible difference, physiologically.

For example, it could be possible that this ability/anomaly only occurs in a very small percentage of people or only under very specific circumstances.

Thus by simply performing a test on random people under conditions that may not be conducive or optimal for this phenomenon to occur, the results would obviously be inconclusive.

That's what I mean by first attempting to explain what it even is that people are experiencing while only performing tests to prove or refute it, after the fact.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sure, but I believe the more important question should be, what might cause the perception of an audible difference, physiologically.

For example, it could be possible that this ability/anomaly only occurs in a very small percentage of people or only under very specific circumstances.

Thus by simply performing a test on random people under conditions that may not be conducive or optimal for this phenomenon to occur, the results would obviously be inconclusive.

That's what I mean by first attempting to explain what it even is that people are experiencing while only performing tests to prove or refute it, after the fact.
Confirmed.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think we should have a list of dead horses that just DO NOT NEED to be thrashed again unless the OP has objective and useful information to present.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ever seen those pictures where the image seems to move ?
Every one sees the pictures move yet it is clear and provable it doesn't.
Your brain simply tells you it moves so it appears real.

Hearing is easily fooled as well, this also is the same for everyone.
Only when you remove the reasons why audio is perceived differently then the truth remains.

People love magic. Once a magic trick is exposed it suddenly isn't interesting anymore.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Gold and black stickers, bigger numbers, random folks on random forums espousing night and day differences, higher prices...... I could go on.

Put simply, and as stated by others in this thread, they want it to be better. In many cases they have paid good money because they want it to be better. Nothing reinforces expectation like handing over hard earned cash for something.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That's why we urge YOU to do the test, not some random people. If YOU claim golden ears, YOU prove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom