• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifimans HE-400i on sale

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Screenshot (11).png

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I paid $180 for a near-mint used pair with some Brainwavz leather pads included, so I don't feel too bad.

In any case these are an amazing buy. I don't think that most critical listeners could audition them versus most $200-300 traditional dynamics and not find them superior. Admittedly, though...perhaps age-related hearing loss in my case means I don't detect the "tizzyness" that some reviewers note.

The only thing I don't care for is the stock fabric-covered cable is on the stiff side, and it splits into the left/right sides a bit too low, so the rubber piece at the "Y" catches on the lip of my keyboard tray at times.

OP
Rod

Rod

Screenshot (10).png
I paid $180 for a near-mint used pair with some Brainwavz leather pads included, so I don't feel too bad.

In any case these are an amazing buy. I don't think that most critical listeners could audition them versus most $200-300 traditional dynamics and not find them superior. Admittedly, though...perhaps age-related hearing loss in my case means I don't detect the "tizzyness" that some reviewers note.

The only thing I don't care for is the stock fabric-covered cable is on the stiff side, and it splits into the left/right sides a bit too low, so the rubber piece at the "Y" catches on the lip of my keyboard tray at times.
I replaced my cable with this one. Its flexible, has a straight plug and for your info, its 12 3/4" to the top of the Y and 13 3/4' to the bottom of the Y.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I plan to build my own with a 6.3mm plug and some Mogami star quad mic cable. I need a cable no longer than 4-5 feet as my headamp is a few inches from my elbow when seated at my desk.

OP
Rod

Rod

I plan to build my own with a 6.3mm plug and some Mogami star quad mic cable. I need a cable no longer than 4-5 feet as my headamp is a few inches from my elbow when seated at my desk.
Yes, that would be better.

OP
Rod

Rod

The big problem I have with my he400i is the darn short cable. Rod's link above will solve that. So I will order the above cord. Thanks Rod!
Welcome, the 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter is also threaded which is nice.

Pavioni

The Neomusica is a very good cable for the 400i.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale,Xmas shopping is done for the son.

OP
Rod

Rod

What a cool dad. I am sure he will be thrilled.

Pavioni

I think he will...he was just here on break so I put Trombone Shorty on Tidal and handed my 400i to him. Good thing he has a beard,cushioned his jawbonewhen it hit the floor! Best he's ever heard before was Senn gaming phones I gave him some time ago.
Is it child abuse to get your kids hooked on this obsesion?

Jacona

I bought these on May 19th and just got them today.

So far it sounds really nice and the treble isn't as bad as I thought they would be.
Also surprised how well my little Fiio E10K is powering them, I'm maybe 5-6/8 on LOW gain and it is already quite loud.
Or maybe I'm just used to lower listening levels.

Top Bottom