• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

devopsprodude

Hey

Im thinking about getting these headphones but im not sure if i have enough power to drive them properly.
I believe solderdude in this, so if you can reply, it would be awesome.

I have Topping E30 DAC and Topping A50s and xDuoo MT-602 amps but im not sure if it will sound good on xDuoo, i think i heard that tube or hybrid tube amps are designed for headphones with more impedance but im not sure, also i have some soviet tubes there which sounds awesome on DT880 250ohm Black Edition.
I dont know what these headphones need, these are low impedance but low sensitivity and i have experience only with high impedance headphones with higher sensitivity than Sundara.
The Sundara headphones are not particularly hard to drive. Your Topping A50s should have no problems whatsoever.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Spojkovic Here's how much power/voltage the Sundara 2020 needs according to Amir's measurements:
Screenshot_20220713-015544_Chrome.jpg

With the E30+A50s you will get:
-4.28Vrms/467mW/116.58dB SPL/more than "Very loud" via the 1/4" single-ended jack
-8.54Vrms/1.86W/122.58dB SPL/more than "Painful" via the 4.4mm Balanced jack

Spojkovic

@Spojkovic Here's how much power/voltage the Sundara 2020 needs according to Amir's measurements:
View attachment 218002

With the E30+A50s you will get:
-4.28Vrms/467mW/116.58dB SPL/more than "Very loud" via the 1/4" single-ended jack
-8.54Vrms/1.86W/122.58dB SPL/more than "Painful" via the 4.4mm Balanced jack
and what do i need for less sensitive headphones? more current or power or what?
and how did you get those Vrms numbers?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have Topping E30 DAC and Topping A50s and xDuoo MT-602 amps but im not sure if it will sound good on xDuoo
I dont know what these headphones need, these are low impedance but low sensitivity and i have experience only with high impedance headphones with higher sensitivity than Sundara.

Sundara can be driven easily with both amps.

RHO

Major Contributor
Hey

Im thinking about getting these headphones but im not sure if i have enough power to drive them properly.
I believe solderdude in this, so if you can reply, it would be awesome.

I have Topping E30 DAC and Topping A50s and xDuoo MT-602 amps but im not sure if it will sound good on xDuoo, i think i heard that tube or hybrid tube amps are designed for headphones with more impedance but im not sure, also i have some soviet tubes there which sounds awesome on DT880 250ohm Black Edition.
I drive them with a Topping A50s. No issue whatsoever. You'll be deaf before running out of power. I've never used high gain when driving the Sundara with this amp. So you've got nothing to worry about.

Turambar

I have the MT-604, that is a little bit more powerful than the MT-602, and can drive my Sundara without any problem.

My feeling is that this should be also the case with the MT-602. Moreover, as some members have already said, with the A50s you have zero problems to move the Sundara.

staticV3

Master Contributor
and what do i need for less sensitive headphones? more current or power or what?
A headphone with lower sensitivity than the Sundara 2020, but equal impedance (39.22Ω), will require more voltage to reach the same SPL. Pumping more voltage into the same load will result in higher current and higher power being output by the Amp.
and how did you get those Vrms numbers?
E30 output voltage times A50s gain.

Brianc

Closed back version incoming. Here's to hoping they're able to keep or improve the tuning on this.View attachment 220828
Dang, just bought some used open backs--btw, how do you tell if they are the newer version with different pads? I don't have the box or anything. Owner can't remember.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Cars-N-Cans

Are the drivers any different? Or did they just change the pads? Im assuming they have been reworked as well. Curious as I think this particular review done by Amir was for the previous generation.

Cars-N-Cans

Also those are not the same ones that came with my 2020 Sundara. I think they came with the PaliPad, but those look to be the FocusPads. Not well versed with their product line, though, so not sure if it really makes a difference. Edit: Here is their description: Package contains two pieces of earpads. They are SUNDARA's stock earpads and also compatible with all HE-series headphones (including HE400S, 400i, 300, 400, 500, 4, 5, 6, 5LE). But at $50 USD they are kinda spendy.

Cars-N-Cans

I am pretty sure that they just changed the pads.
Ah, ok. I wonder what the response looks like with the more inexpensive FocusPad you linked versus the PaliPad the 2020 Sundara normally comes with? The driver distance to the ear will be roughly the same, I would assume. Not sure about the pads themselves, tho.

Garrincha

Ah, ok. I wonder what the response looks like with the more inexpensive FocusPad you linked versus the PaliPad the 2020 Sundara normally comes with? The driver distance to the ear will be roughly the same, I would assume. Not sure about the pads themselves, tho.
Well, I have purchased the pads I have linked and they appear identical to those that came with my Sundara. I think the difference in the sound signature from the older version comes from the geometry and the better sealing and not or not much from any employed material.

Cars-N-Cans

Well, I have purchased the pads I have linked and they appear identical to those that came with my Sundara. I think the difference in the sound signature from the older version comes from the geometry and the better sealing and not or not much from any employed material.
Hmmm... I wonder if they are a reduced cost version? My set, and others I've seen have the woven patterned fabric on the cushion of the pad and not the velour. All other aspects appear to be the same. Probably sounds the same as well, I would guess. Thinking about it it would make sense to switch to just using one pad across the entire line of headphones that share that diameter pad.

Shubhashish

Hey guys, I need help. I don't know if this is the right forum. Mods, please help me if this isn't.

I have a pair of Sundaras that I bought recently. I bought a Hidizs S9 Pro a few months ago. Now, I can clearly see that the S9 Pro isn't sufficient for driving Sundaras over my Mac. So, my question is: Should I buy a new desktop DAC or an AMP? I mean, Hidizs S9 Pro is a DAC and an AMP. So I am not sure what new gear should I buy to get the most out of the the Sundaras.

First question, if I buy an AMP (JDS Atom, is my preferred choice), then can I connect Hidizs S9 Pro and use it as a DAC with it via my Macbook Air M1? I am unable to find clarity on this online hence asking here.

Second, should I buy a new AMP or a DAC or a full-stack and junk Hidizs S9 Pro totally?

Garrincha

Hey guys, I need help. I don't know if this is the right forum. Mods, please help me if this isn't.

I have a pair of Sundaras that I bought recently. I bought a Hidizs S9 Pro a few months ago. Now, I can clearly see that the S9 Pro isn't sufficient for driving Sundaras over my Mac. So, my question is: Should I buy a new desktop DAC or an AMP? I mean, Hidizs S9 Pro is a DAC and an AMP. So I am not sure what new gear should I buy to get the most out of the the Sundaras.

First question, if I buy an AMP (JDS Atom, is my preferred choice), then can I connect Hidizs S9 Pro and use it as a DAC with it via my Macbook Air M1? I am unable to find clarity on this online hence asking here.

Second, should I buy a new AMP or a DAC or a full-stack and junk Hidizs S9 Pro totally?
As it happens, I also have the Sundara and the Hidisz S9 Pro. I think for most tracks it gets to a reasonable listening level, but admittingly not very loud. What should be an easy way out is using the balanced input of the S9 Pro, which has about the double of the outpout power. It is just exchanging the cable to one with 2.5mm jack. Mine is on the way, so I can not confirm for sure that it completely resolves the problem, but it should.

Shubhashish

As it happens, I also have the Sundara and the Hidisz S9 Pro. I think for most tracks it gets to a reasonable listening level, but admittingly not very loud. What should be an easy way out is using the balanced input of the S9 Pro, which has about the double of the outpout power. It is just exchanging the cable to one with 2.5mm jack. Mine is on the way, so I can not confirm for sure that it completely resolves the problem, but it should.
Thanks a ton for your reply. One follow up question. So if the balanced cable solves this for me, what more can I add to this set up? Hidizs S9 Pro is a DAC and an AMP. So let's say I add another DAC then will the S9 Pro work only like an AMP? Similarly, if I add an external AMP then will S9 Pro act like a DAC? I was thinking if the S9 Pro solves my AMP need then may be I can get a JDS Atom DAC.

Top Bottom