• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

UltraPro

Hi! Is it okay to attach the magnet base of ModMic 4 to Sundaras? Not onto the grill though, onto the surrounding metal circle? Will this damage the headphones or affect the sound? This might be an overcautious question, but the magnet is rather strong.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Is it okay to attach the magnet base of ModMic 4 to Sundaras? Not onto the grill though, onto the surrounding metal circle? Will this damage the headphones or affect the sound? This might be an overcautious question, but the magnet is rather strong.
had to look it up.
I suppose attaching it to headband plastic section would be safe.

Last edited:

UltraPro

had to look it up.
I suppose attaching it to headband plastic section would be safe.
It would not be practical to attach it that high, or do you mean the outer rings of the grills are plastic? Seems like metal to me.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would not be practical to attach it that high, or do you mean the outer rings of the grills are plastic? Seems like metal to me.
The round ear-sup is made of Aluminium, so magnetic field can penetrate it. I have no idea how strong the mic magnet is, so a trial and error should tell you if it affects the sound.
I still think the plastic on the headband is a good place. It is a strong base, away from earcups, and the Mic neck can easily be bent to shape for it to look right.
If you have a big enough head, meaning you need to pull the yokes out to fit your head, the flat part of a Yoke could also be used.
I doubt the magnet fitting would damage the headphnes, but it might distort the diaphram while playing, if it is very close to it.
My 2 pence.

Marcomarco

ciao io attualmente uso gustardx16 - topping l30 e vorrei provare il sundara bilanciato.
qualcuno ha provato con Monolith THX AAA 887 oggi a 269,90€ in europa. puoi consigliarmi un buon amplificatore?

pantag

I have the Senn HD650 and Massdrop HE-4xx, the initial version with the 2.5mm plugs. I am considering the Sundara. How different is the Sundara from the HE-4xx?
(All driven by a THX-AAA 789 amp)

Also, if i pull the trigger, I am thinking to also get Periapt balanced cables. Recommended with Sundara?

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the Senn HD650 and Massdrop HE-4xx, the initial version with the 2.5mm plugs. I am considering the Sundara. How different is the Sundara from the HE-4xx?
(All driven by a THX-AAA 789 amp)

Also, if i pull the trigger, I am thinking to also get Periapt balanced cables. Recommended with Sundara?

I upgraded from HE4XX to Sundara, I immediately noticed the brighter sound signature, better bass quality, and a sense of refinement not present on the HE4XX. However, there was something warm about the HE4XX I preferred, almost boxy sounding bass was fun with EDM, I was grateful for the Sundara, but It had less fun factor, ultimately I decided to keep Sundara due in part to build quality (Way better build) my HE4XX was falling apart. I think if you listen to a lot of dance music, EDM or hip hop, I’d keep the HE4XX.

Periapt cable is a great option, I use one with Ananda, it’s very durable.

pantag

I upgraded from HE4XX to Sundara, I immediately noticed the brighter sound signature, better bass quality, and a sense of refinement not present on the HE4XX. However, there was something warm about the HE4XX I preferred, almost boxy sounding bass was fun with EDM, I was grateful for the Sundara, but It had less fun factor, ultimately I decided to keep Sundara due in part to build quality (Way better build) my HE4XX was falling apart. I think if you listen to a lot of dance music, EDM or hip hop, I’d keep the HE4XX.

Periapt cable is a great option, I use one with Ananda, it’s very durable.
Thank you. I do not listen hip-hop and only very light dance/EDM music. My focus is on other genres. Definitely not a bass-head but it seems the Sundara needs some EQ to shine.

On the Periapt cables... I already have a 2.5mm to XLR for my HE4xx. I am curious how difficult would be to modify it to 3.5mm.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you. I do not listen hip-hop and only very light dance/EDM music. My focus is on other genres. Definitely not a bass-head but it seems the Sundara needs some EQ to shine.

On the Periapt cables... I already have a 2.5mm to XLR for my HE4xx. I am curious how difficult would be to modify it to 3.5mm.

For other genres, with EQ it’s worth the upgrade imo. Not sure about the mods, I’d be hesitant to do it myself because I’m not very crafty.

Touronaut

Will 30mv (25 ma current?) from a Sabaj da3 power the sundara? Is that enough headroom to EQ the bass to Harman?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will 30mv (25 ma current?) from a Sabaj da3 power the sundara? Is that enough headroom to EQ the bass to Harman?
how did you calculate that?
30mV into 40 ohms gives 7.5mA.
25mA into 40 ohm gives 100mV.
At any rate, NO , it wouldn't .
need about 1 or 2 V.
Your Sabaj would just about do it, but will struggle at higher volumes.

Last edited:

Touronaut

how did you calculate that?
30mV into 40 ohms gives 7.5mA.
25mA into 40 ohm gives 100mV.
At any rate, NO , it wouldn't .
need about 1 or 2 V.
Thanks. Not surprised I was some way off - need to brush up on Ohms law

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I meant 35mw power in my previous post - the Sabaj outputs 1 volt, and produces 30mwatt into 33ohm
Yes I deducted that.
It will hit 95dB or even more, but for transients headroom, 1V is a little low.
It is a good device, but a little under powered here.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Sabaj will reach 2.25V in balanced mode and 1.6V in S.E. mode (in 40 ohm) based on specs published by Sabaj.

So with the Sundara being 104dB/V this means you can reach 108dB peaks in SE mode and 111dB peaks in balanced mode.
This means you can reach comfortable loud levels.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sabaj will reach 2.25V in balanced mode and 1.6V in S.E. mode (in 40 ohm) based on specs published by Sabaj.

So with the Sundara being 104dB/V this means you can reach 108dB peaks in SE mode and 111dB peaks in balanced mode.
This means you can reach comfortable loud levels.
Didn't know it had balanced out, my bad.
Amir tested it, and it clipped at 1V regardless of impedance, or did I get that wrong too.
At any rate, with balanced out and 2V clip assumption, then we are good.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Nah.. it didn't clip at 1V.
It merely has it's knee at 1V (S.E. at 33 ohm) it can easily provide 1.3V in 33 ohm with inaudible amounts of distortion (0.1%).
I'm just a bit more lenient than Amir :D
This is 40mA. 40mA in 40 ohm = 1.6V which is the same value the S.E. output can deliver acc to the specs.
Balanced only gives 3dB more due to current limiting in the output stage (one can expect +6dB for > 100ohm cans)

Top Bottom