• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

radix

Major Contributor
Are there any reasons to buy Sundara now?
They've lowered the price over the years (2017-2024) and now cost $299 new / $199 refurb.
But from a technical driver configuration perspective, they seem outdated to me compared to more recent planar headphones.

Mine still sound as good as when they were not outdated. I also use EQ on them, which I think helps a fair bit.

You should really listen to them and the planar's you're interested in and see what you like. How headphones fit and feel is important too.

johny_2000

You should really listen to them and the planar's you're interested in and see what you like. How headphones fit and feel is important too.
Thank you! So far I've listened to the FiiO FT5 and Moondrop Para planar headphones, which seem to be later models than the Sundara.

The FiiO had a comfortable fit and a self-adjusting suspension headband. Compared to the Moondrop which had a terrible fit. Unfortunately, both had quality issues. That's why I returned them.

radix

Major Contributor
Thank you! So far I've listened to the FiiO FT5 and Moondrop Para planar headphones, which seem to be later models than the Sundara.

The FiiO had a comfortable fit and a self-adjusting suspension headband. Compared to the Moondrop which had a terrible fit. Unfortunately, both had quality issues. That's why I returned them.
I have the sundara, the dca aeon 2 noire, DT 770 Pro (250R), and sony 1000xm5 (noise cancelling for travel). So, I have an open-back, closed-back, and noise cancelling. Plus the DT770 are some utility cans for use other places than my desktop.

I find the sundara very comfortable. They have super large circular ear pads and a pretty firm strap adjust with detents, so it stays in place. The dca noire is a tighter fit around the ear, so is a bit more placement sensitive, but it's closed so that likely helps keep the noise out better. The strap adjust on the noire is a bit loose when not under pressure being on the head, so I usually need to adjust it every time I put them on. The sony are very nice too for a noise cancelling. The DT 770 are pretty comfortable too, but not the same class as the others.

I use EQ on my RME ADI-2 Pro or in SoundSource for the sundara and aeon2 noire (I'd EQ the DT770 too if I used them there). Nothing major, but it is better sounding to me.

You can't EQ fit and comfort, so find a decent pair that fits well, then you can likely EQ them to taste, assuming they are reasonable close. At least that's my approach.

johny_2000

Today I got another planar headphones - DROP+DCA AEON OPEN X. The fit on the head is better than the Moondrop Para, but worse than the FiiO FT5, which had a self-adjusting headband and soft-fitting round velor ear pads. Out of the box they are too warm in the mid freqs and too weak in the sub-bass and high freqs. That is, a sort of “neutral” sound that is too boring for me. I started EQing them to my liking using RME or Equilizer APO+Peace. I added several AutoEQ compensations to the Harman 2018 curve and applied them, but it was still too veiled in the high freqs. I wonder if the default "white 1-notch" inserts are too dense and too damping? There are three different sets of inserts in the box that might be worth trying.

Top Bottom