• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HifiMan Sundara + Qudelix K5

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thank you for replying.
But I am not feeling welcome at all.

That is why I am gonna delete this account.

There are reserved great forums online.
Of course that is completely your choice. Don’t be discouraged by a few over the many. Yes there are many places to go to wax poetic about how your gear sounds and feels. But there are very few places where you can learn the Science and Engineering that goes into making great gear and you can learn how to not get ripped off by the flowery advertising about cables and crystals oh my….Chose if you must. You can also choose what posts to read and reply to and let the others go unanswered. No matter where you go you are bound to run into someone that will annoy you. May as well learn something in exchange. ;)

OP
O

Ole_S

Obviously me... LoL. If you have such brains and stuff then stick around. I have barely seen you in action so far other than me skimming and scanning a bit of your text and commenters likewise replies.
Brains and stuff? :-S

You can delete my account in here for my attitude.
That is totally fine.

Again, I do not want to be a part of this "community".

OP
O

Ole_S

Of course that is completely your choice. Don’t be discouraged by a few over the many. Yes there are many places to go to wax poetic about how your gear sounds and feels. But there are very few places where you can learn the Science and Engineering that goes into making great gear and you can learn how to not get ripped off by the flowery advertising about cables and crystals oh my….Chose if you must. You can also choose what posts to read and reply to and let the others go unanswered. No matter where you go you are bound to run into someone that will annoy you. May as well learn something in exchange. ;)
Thanks

OP
O

Ole_S

E1DA 9038S might also be a great choice.​

It also have great EQ possibilities.​

And it might be a little more powerful than the K5.​

Sorry for continue writing.​

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K5 has slightly more power than E1DA9038S

Sorry for continuing to answer.

K5 will work fine for Sundara.
Buy whatever you want though. It is your money and your headphone. When you have doubts about the K5 don't buy one, buy something else.
If you ask the same question to 10 people you will get different answers including nonsense.

Last edited:
OP
O

Ole_S

Not recommend for desktop regarding this review.

I need a great setup for both desktop and transportable..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then don't buy it. Don't buy the 9038S either as it is even less 'desktop'.
Buy something you want.

You already own E50/L50 use that.
For portable buy something portable.
K5 or anything else you like.

Buy the K5 IF YOU NEED the EQ functionality. When you don't you can buy something else too.

The K5 will work great with the Sundara and is not expensive. You can always return it or sell it again.

Amir's conclusion:
So overall, I am happy to recommend the Qudelix 5K. Your search is over for a rich functionality and powerful portable headphone adapter.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Measurements are not all ;-)
After the headphones, amp power and EQ is way more important than everything else.

I do not think you care, but I am going with the iFi Audio Gryphon.
Oh no, Qudelix is better choice with it built in PEQ

You can make it sound in many different ways

With the ifi you then need to use a computer for EQ - not as good for portable

OP
O

Ole_S

Hi again,

Last consideration after some research.
Hopefully you will give an honest assessment

Desktop setup:
  • Topping DX3 Pro +: 199€
  • Topping L30 ii + E 30 ii: 330 €
  • Topping L50 + E50: 396 €
  • Schiit Magni+ + Modi+ : 369 €
  • ATOM DAC + AMP: 210 $
EQ for all these setups will be handled by USB Audio Player Pro on my DAP

Transportable setup:
  • Qudelix K5 (good built-in EQ)
  • FiiO BRT7 (more powerful than Qudelix K7, but has less great EQ - 10 bands. Otherwise USB Audio Player Pro can be used)?
  • FiiO K3 (EQ USB Audio Player Pro)
  • Audioquest DragonFly Cobalt

Let's keep a good tone today.

// Peace.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Except for dragonfly and K3 all the other ones will work fine.

Buy whatever desktop setup you prefer the looks and functionality as well as the price.
Performance is the same within your use case and will never reach any limits on any of the combinations you might choose. There is NO practical difference with any of the mentioned devices what sound quality/signature concerns. Only some measurable but inconsequential differences can be shown that are way beyond audible levels. This is even true for the K5 b.t.w.

Stop worrying about the desktop choices. Choose your combo yourself based on looks, price, connectivity and operational features and ergonomics.
Don't let others make you insecure or make a decision for you. It will just be like .. someone else's opinion or recommendation because they saw the specs or own one or more of the mentioned devices.

Last edited:
OP
O

Ole_S

I guess The Atom is much more powerful.

• Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω136mW (9.05VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω545 mW (9.04VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω1 Watt (5.66 VRMS)
And the price is very attractive.

OP
O

Ole_S

Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω1 Watt (5.66 VRMS)

OP
O

Ole_S

Except for dragonfly and K3 all the other ones will work fine.

Buy whatever desktop setup you prefer the looks and functionality as well as the price.
Performance is the same within your use case and will never reach any limits on any of the combinations you might choose. There is NO practical difference with any of the mentioned devices what sound quality/signature concerns. Only some measurable but inconsequential differences can be shown that are way beyond audible levels. This is even true for the K5 b.t.w.

Stop worrying about the desktop choices. Choose your combo yourself based on looks, price, connectivity and operational features and ergonomics.
Don't let others make you insecure or make a decision for you. It will just be like .. someone else's opinion or recommendation because they saw the specs or own one or more of the mentioned devices.
Performance is the same?
I doubt that, sorry.

Power output is quite different on these devices.

OP
O

Ole_S

Pretty interesting video.
Personal preferences are at least as important as scientific measurements and calculations.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Performance is the same?
I doubt that, sorry.

Power output only matters when you need more power than the amp can provide before clipping. What I think Solderdude is saying is that you wont clip any of those with the Sundara apart from the Dragonfly and the K3 and definitely not with any of the desktop units- therefore audibly the same performance. Even with the Qudelix

OP
O

Ole_S

Power output only matters when you need more power than the amp can provide before clipping. What I think Solderdude is saying is that you wont clip any of those apart from the Dragonfly and the K3 and definitely not with any of the desktop units- therefore audibly the same performance. Even with the Qudelix
Of course.
Therefore, the performance of these devices are not the same.
That is not a correct fact. Sorry

I have to the say:
My setup is not only for Sundara.
Is not for future wise.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Performance is the same?
I doubt that, sorry.

Power output you will never use on the Sundara.
Power output is not equal to sound quality.
You can doubt all you want doesn't make it any less true.

OP
O

Ole_S

Power output you will never use on the Sundara.
Power output is not equal to sound quality.
You can doubt all you want doesn't make it any less true.
Like I have said several times now!
I will not only use this setup for Sundara.

It is a setup I can use in the future, if I decide to buy another more power-needed HF in the future.

PS. I have mentioned more than one time that power is not equal to sound quality.
There are other important aspects.

OP
O

Ole_S

Like I have said several times now!
I will not only use this setup for Sundara.

It is a setup I can use in the future, if I decide to buy another more power-needed HF in the future.

PS. I have mentioned more than one time that power is not equal to sound quality.
There are other important aspects.
But power one of the more important factors.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But power one of the more important factors.

When you say so.
In that case even the L50 may not be 'enough' for you when you have no idea what headphone you might buy in the future that might need several Watts to reach loud levels.
Since I have Topping E50 + L50 .....
You already have the E50/L50 why not use it and be happy with it ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom