• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HifiMan Sundara + Qudelix K5

Ole_S

Hi guys :)

Some kind people inhere recommended Qudelix K5 for my HifiMan Sundara.
The setup is for both desktop + Bluetooth (receiver).

Any good/bad experiences with this setup?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Ole_S

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out, it is your lucky day today! I was starting to lose hope after your 59th message on the same topic but hey, when there is a will, there is a way.

I happen to be listening to music with Sundara, and 5K is not too far away so I will test them for you. Yes, Sundara sounds as lovely as ever with 5K, and with EQ enabled, it gets as loud enough to cause pain with 12db more to spare.

OP
O

Ole_S

It turns out, it is your lucky day today! I was starting to lose hope after your 59th message on the same topic but hey, when there is a will, there is a way.

I happen to be listening to music with Sundara, and 5K is not too far away so I will test them for you. Yes, Sundara sounds as lovely as ever with 5K, and with EQ enabled, it gets as loud enough to cause pain with 12db more to spare.
What an attitude?
I have not asked to you read all these messages? Agree?

But thanks anyway.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Thank you.
I will take a look at the cable :).

It's a nice cable. Its fabric covered, quite flexible and feels 'premium' (despite its relatively low price) - I like the right angled plug as the cable hangs down when I clip the Q5K horizontally to a shirt or open hoody.

OP
O

Ole_S

It's a nice cable. Its fabric covered, quite flexible and feels 'premium' (despite its relatively low price) - I like the right angled plug as the cable hangs down when I clip the Q5K horizontally to a shirt or open hoody.
Sounds great.

3.5 - 2.5 mm
or
3.5 - 3.5 mm

It may be 3.5mm-2.5mm.

Maybe the same cable can be bought inside Europa.
I prefer not paying the Taxed ;-)

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cable that comes with Sundara is fine. You don't need to buy another cable for Sundara. If you get hard to drive headphones later on, you can look into balanced 2.5mm cables then.

OP
O

Ole_S

One person wrote this message:

Qudelix 5K only = 129 € for the total setup is what StaticV3 is trying to tell you.
It will also give you EQ possibities, have enough power and can be used as desktop as well (via USB) and can be used portable.
You will be lacking 2 separate boxes, display, power supplies. Your wallet will thank you.
You may want to buy a balanced cable for the Sundara (Pentaconn 2.5mm TRRS).
The Qudelix will be enough unless you want to remove the fillings from your teeth.

I guess for 15€ the money er well spend.
To the give the Qudelix K5 some xtra juice.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds great.

3.5 - 2.5 mm
or
3.5 - 3.5 mm

It may be 3.5mm-2.5mm.

Maybe the same cable can be bought inside Europa.
I prefer not paying the Taxed ;-)

I have the 2.5mm balance to 2x 3.5mm cable for my HE-4XX. You should check the plugs that go into your Sundaras

Regarding Europa, just change the '.co.uk' to the European equivalent, e.g. for Spain...

OP
O

Ole_S

I have the 2.5mm balance to 2x 3.5mm cable for my HE-4XX. You should check the plugs that go into your Sundaras

Regarding Europa, just change the '.co.uk' to the European equivalent, e.g. for Spain...

Do you agree with IAtaman?
Do I not need a balanced cable between Sundara Qudelix 5K?

Some people say yes. Some people say no. :-S

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One person wrote this message:

Qudelix 5K only = 129 € for the total setup is what StaticV3 is trying to tell you.
It will also give you EQ possibities, have enough power and can be used as desktop as well (via USB) and can be used portable.
You will be lacking 2 separate boxes, display, power supplies. Your wallet will thank you.
You may want to buy a balanced cable for the Sundara (Pentaconn 2.5mm TRRS).
The Qudelix will be enough unless you want to remove the fillings from your teeth.

I guess for 15€ the money er well spend.
To the give the Qudelix K5 some xtra juice.

I was not a fan of the cable that came with the HE-4XX, but it worked fine. I also apply quite a lot of EQ to the HE-4XX (with negative pre-amp), so the extra power from the balanced connection was welcome. So, you don't *need* to buy another cable, but if you want try one, the one I linked to is a good one.

OP
O

Ole_S

Sundara is fitted with a 3.5mm mini-jack plug at one end and two 3.5mm mini-jacks in the headphone. An adapter from 3.5mm to 6.3mm is also included.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you agree with IAtaman?
Do I not need a balanced cable between Sundara Qudelix 5K?

Some people say yes. Some people say no. :-S

No need to rush into another purchase. Try it with the stock cable, apply PEQ to your liking and see if it plays loud enough for you, if it doesn't then try the balanced cable.

OP
O

Ole_S

I was not a fan of the cable that came with the HE-4XX, but it worked fine. I also apply quite a lot of EQ to the HE-4XX (with negative pre-amp), so the extra power from the balanced connection was welcome. So, you don't *need* to buy another cable, but if you want try one, the one I linked to is a good one.
Okay.
My Output level for my Sundara (EQ) is -7.5.
Therefore, it might be a good idea buying a balanced cable?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay.
My Output level for my Sundara (EQ) is -7.5.
Therefore, it might be a good idea buying a balanced cable?

Only if you can't get the Q5K loud enough with PEQ or you have issues with the stock cable (too long, too inflexible, plug sticks out from the Q5K too far, etc.)

OP
O

Ole_S

Can someone explain these numbers ? :)

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:)

When I said I will test it, I was not bullshitting - I have genuinely tested Sundara with Q5K using 3.5mm SE cable. It gets very loud even with EQ applied with phone at max and 12db more to go on Q5K volume control.

Last edited:
OP
O

Ole_S

:)

When I said I will test it, I was not bullshitting - I have genuinely tested Sundara with Q5K using 3.5mm SE cable. It gets very loud even with EQ applied with phone at max and Q5K volume control with 12db more to go.
Thank you for testing it.
Therefore, balanced cable may not be nessacary.

Thanks

Top Bottom