• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara metallic clinking sounds

Alex_

Hello,

I bought my hifiman sundara a couple of months ago. This is my first pair of audiophile headphones, so I don't have that much experience. I use the headphone with my Topping L30 amp.
Sometimes when listening to music, I can hear some weird "metallic clinking" sounds at specific frequencies on one side of the headphone. Switching the L/R channel doesn't change the side on which I can hear those metallic sounds.

I tried to determine the exact frequency of those sounds - it seems to be around1350 Hz.

For me this does not look like the headphones are supposed to sound like this. Could the headphones be defective? In general I have to say that I like the sound of the Sundara, but the build quality is really bad.

OP
A

Alex_

Try frequency sweeping the headphones... It's a great way of determining faults in transducers.
That's what I did. Didn't know what it was called. But it is weird, the frequencies where I can hear those sounds change. 15 minutes ago it was around 1350 Hz, now it is around 1000 hz and really bad at 350 - 600 Hz.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The headphones likely have a bad/defective/blown driver on the bad side. If they are in warranty have them replaced or repaired.

Top Bottom