• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Jade II Safety Announcement

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just received a mail from Hifiman containing this:
ei.jpg

These are the reply videos:

I believe the first is a response to this:

And the second is a response to this: https://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/13505-hifiman-jade-ii

What do you guys make of it all?

Samoyed

Well, it does have sweeping regulatory authority and the sentence is ambiguous to me. Perhaps it required certification on another issue, and the manufacturer is wafting the inference that this certification implies the device is “safe.” Who knows....

If someone has the device, take a look at it as it should reflect what is claimed.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was unaware that the FCC approves items for safety.
FCC mark certifies that it conforms to FCC regulations on EMI. CE mark certifies that it meets all applicable EU requirements for health and safety.

"If the CE marking is affixed on a product, it can bear additional markings only if they are of different significance, do not overlap with the CE marking and are not confusing and do not impair the legibility and visibility of the CE marking."

It is not unheard of for manufacturers to submit a product for CE approval and then cut corners in the finished product. I personally doubt this would be the case for a boutique hifi amplifier made by a well known shop.

Samoyed

OK, it won’t light your hair on fire from radiated energy per the FCC? Clear as mud....

If I felt as strongly as the manufacturer, I’d go after the troll rather than dignifying him with a “rebuttal.”

Nothing vindicates like an apology....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do you guys make of it all?
I watched all three. I am a bit dubious that any high voltage shock will cause that kind of ear pain. The voltage will not be sound wave as to travel into the air canal this way.

That said, I say a prayer every time I put on my Stax headphones. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fried brains...

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You think that's bad, you should try my new headphones with plasma tweeters. Great for the winter.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Those of you who are into tube design are likely familiar with Morgan Jones (author of "Valve Amplifiers" and "Building Valve Amplifiers," probably the best contemporary texts on the subject). Some years back he built himself some electrostatic headphones and a matching amplifier. And this was a lesson on insulation and safety- after playing for a few minutes and sounding good, one side burst into flames on his head. Good reflexes saved him from injuries beyond some singes and abject embarrassment. Seeing him pantomime his reaction during the retelling (after we had consumed a reasonable amount of Scotch) was hilarious and memorable.

The direct drive amplifier remained and was used to drive some Stax, but he never tried putting home-made electrostatic drivers on his head again.

I took this as a cautionary tale and only use electrostatics from very well-established and engineering-oriented suppliers like Stax.

Top Bottom