• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman He6se v2

Hi,

I am running my newly purchased Hifiman He6se v2 on a Topping E30ii and Topping a90. I really thought I'd be getting a lot more out of almost 2k headphones. What am I doing wrong here? I am connected with RCA cables, BAL Mic input, streaming from a MacBook Pro through Tidal Masters.

The amp was recommended to me due to the power consumption of the headphones. Do I need to upgrade my DAC? The headphones get loud, but they don't feel very special at all.. no booming bass or incredible feelings.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am running my newly purchased Hifiman He6se v2 on a Topping E30ii and Topping a90. I really thought I'd be getting a lot more out of almost 2k headphones. What am I doing wrong here? The headphones get loud, but they don't feel very special at all.. no booming bass or incredible feelings.
You're not using EQ. That's what you're doing wrong.
EQ on macOS is easiest with eqMac or SoundSource.
My recommendation is the latter, because you can quickly import presets from txt files.

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi,

I am running my newly purchased Hifiman He6se v2 on a Topping E30ii and Topping a90. I really thought I'd be getting a lot more out of almost 2k headphones. What am I doing wrong here? I am connected with RCA cables, BAL Mic input, streaming from a MacBook Pro through Tidal Masters.

The amp was recommended to me due to the power consumption of the headphones. Do I need to upgrade my DAC? The headphones get loud, but they don't feel very special at all.. no booming bass or incredible feelings.
It was on sale for 399$ a week ago, and currently 799$ on https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?EmailPrice=T
it is a good headphone, but not way it's worth the MSRP.

also there are a lot of expensive headphones that do not sound good, so, yea

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bal mic input? You mean the xlr on the front of the A90?

Regardless, sounds to me like expectations outweighing reality. The HE6 have flat bass and you can eq in lots of it. But it's not a boomy bass listen.

What headphones are you coming from?

OP
A
Bal mic input? You mean the xlr on the front of the A90?

Regardless, sounds to me like expectations outweighing reality. The HE6 have flat bass and you can eq in lots of it. But it's not a boomy bass listen.

What headphones are you coming from?
Maybe, I mean I expected the world out of 1800$ headphones
Nothing special just consumer audio

delta76

Major Contributor
what headphones would be top tier for you? I just feel like if I purchased HD800s now I would be disappointed too
could you return your he6vs v2? yes you can try to EQ it but I don't think it is worth 1800$ regardless of EQ. its normal price is 700-800$, and on sale quite often

you can start with the review index here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews/ Dan Clark Expanse is considered top notch but is also very expensive. you might want to try some cheaper ones with good EQ capacity.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The thing is that no matter how much you spend on equipment you can't get out more than what is in the music. You can hear everything in a song from any >100€ headphone. The more you spend the more refined the experience is but diminishing returns hits hard after something like Sundara/HD 600.

One way of getting more out of equipment is learning to listen more carefully and of course conditioning yourself the right way. If you make yourself think that you'd really like a bit more slam in your bass then when you get it you are happy. Let any of your non-audiophile acquaintances try out your 2k headphones and I guarantee that most of them think they are "nice" but see no big benefits compared to their 150€ wireless earbuds and would never, ever, consider paying the 2k for them. Do all of them have cloth ears? Of course not, they just aren't interested in the equipment side of music listening. And that's all there is to it.

imas69

Adorama were selling them for $400 2 months ago, who charged you 2K for them, they are always on the Hifiman store for less than $650

jae

Major Contributor
All your electronics are fine and transparent and will drive them fine, so whatever you're not liking about your setup is due to the frequency response of the headphone and probably nothing else. The solution to this as others have stated is to EQ your headphone, or get another one who's tonality is closer to what you like without EQ (or both). When it comes to headphones and even speakers, price does not necessarily mean it's "good" in either the subjective or objective sense.

OP
A
I feel like this may be a troll-bait from someone who just joined and immediately posted this thread of non-sensical gibberish (or perhaps ChatGPT text).
weird comment but you do you. its my first venture into the world of high grade audio. people like you are why so many stay away from becoming informed

OP
A
The thing is that no matter how much you spend on equipment you can't get out more than what is in the music. You can hear everything in a song from any >100€ headphone. The more you spend the more refined the experience is but diminishing returns hits hard after something like Sundara/HD 600.

One way of getting more out of equipment is learning to listen more carefully and of course conditioning yourself the right way. If you make yourself think that you'd really like a bit more slam in your bass then when you get it you are happy. Let any of your non-audiophile acquaintances try out your 2k headphones and I guarantee that most of them think they are "nice" but see no big benefits compared to their 150€ wireless earbuds and would never, ever, consider paying the 2k for them. Do all of them have cloth ears? Of course not, they just aren't interested in the equipment side of music listening. And that's all there is to it.
good to know its not the setup to blame. makes sense. in a way thats reassuring to hear. in any case, im not sure if "break in" is a thing but the headphones are soaring now. im incredibly happy with them.

OP
A

oleg87

I sure hope you didn't pay MSRP for these.

Personally I’ve listened to many Hifimans (including the HE6se) and have invariably come away unimpressed. Their house sound just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe you’re also just not a Hifiman guy.

Leiker535

I own a 6se v2 and do think they are somewhat lacking stock in most genres, they do need a 1800khz bump in EQ to perform admirably (and bass, if you want more).

In relation to my reference headphones, the HD 6xx (I've been into the 6x0 sound for almost a decade), they are slightly better in some aspects and reasonably more in others. When EQd, they sound as natural and detailed as the 6xxs but more refined in bass and treble. That infinite and distortionless bass and the round soundstage (the 6xx has a blob effect, front and sides, quite unnatural and intimate), are what makes me prefer it overall, but no, they are not night and day unless you are into a big hype or have been into this hobby for too long, so I don't find your impressions weird at all.

For side steps on your budget, I'd look into either the Aryas or the HD 800s for a bigger wow effect, but don't expect for them to sound better than reality: nothing in this hobby will do that.

OP
A
I own a 6se v2 and do think they are somewhat lacking stock in most genres, they do need a 1800khz bump in EQ to perform admirably (and bass, if you want more).

In relation to my reference headphones, the HD 6xx (I've been into the 6x0 sound for almost a decade), they are slightly better in some aspects and reasonably more in others. When EQd, they sound as natural and detailed as the 6xxs but more refined in bass and treble. That infinite and distortionless bass and the round soundstage (the 6xx has a blob effect, front and sides, quite unnatural and intimate), are what makes me prefer it overall, but no, they are not night and day unless you are into a big hype or have been into this hobby for too long, so I don't find your impressions weird at all.

For side steps on your budget, I'd look into either the Aryas or the HD 800s for a bigger wow effect, but don't expect for them to sound better than reality: nothing in this hobby will do that.
thank you for your response, I will take these tips into consideration! I appreciate the transparency here.

DouglasteR

Can you please share your profiles for Peace or APO ?

Thanks.

Leiker535

Can you please share your profiles for Peace or APO ?

Thanks.

Sure, here you go

1675913718647.png

This is basically Oratory's 1990 profile for the 6se v2 aside from two tweaks: I run that big bass shelf only into the subbass as I play a lot of games and don't listen to anything very loudly, and so that config brings more immersion without muddying the other frequencies too much (not much activity there after all); and I also add a 11500Hz PKconcise negative gain because my ears have a resonance there across all my headphones: as oratory boosts the upper treble, I have to decrease my personal peak for it to not be fatiguing.

Here is his own measurement/EQ.

While tweaking it I only noticed major changes on the bass (how much) and on the third filter, which is the most important to "fix"the Hifiman mid scoop. Bringing it to less than 4 dB brings back the echoy and nasal timbre from stock. On this range it is a matter of preferrence.

Miika

Has anyone listened both Edition XS and He6se v2?
Frequency response aside, which one of these you think is the better option for critical listening/mixing?

Other suggestions at that 400-600 usd price range are welcome aswell.
Thanks!

Top Bottom