• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried it, worked like a charm, no issue at all, thanks again!! Liking the EQ so far, I think I like it with EQ more than without, but I would say the HE6 SE V2 is a great headphone without EQ, EQ is nice to have but not a must.
That's good, I'm glad you like it! It's true that it's a very nice smooth frequency response to EQ sucessfully to the Harman Curve - no sharp EQ filters were required to make it match the Harman Curve accurately. It's probably a pretty good buy as a headphone (although we haven't seen distortion measurements or an Amir review yet, although you'd expect it to match the HE6se original), especially when it was in that sale that someone posted earlier!

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's good, I'm glad you like it! It's true that it's a very nice smooth frequency response to EQ sucessfully to the Harman Curve - no sharp EQ filters were required to make it match the Harman Curve accurately. It's probably a pretty good buy as a headphone (although we haven't seen distortion measurements or an Amir review yet, although you'd expect it to match the HE6se original), especially when it was in that sale that someone posted earlier!

Yeah it's great deal, even after I got dinged on import to Canada still nothing in the price range can beat it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it's great deal, even after I got dinged on import to Canada still nothing in the price range can beat it.
Yeah, would be good to see Amir measure the V2 if he can, the original HE6se is one of the most impressive measuring headphones and the V2 has got an even better frequency response so could even trump the original HE6se.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, would be good to see Amir measure the V2 if he can, the original HE6se is one of the most impressive measuring headphones and the V2 has got an even better frequency response so could even trump the original HE6se.

Do we know if anyone with a Gras rig has measured V1 and V2 6SE with the same pads? Im intrigued if any differences are pad related or more inherent. I think they may both have shipped with the Pali pads (the V2 definitely do) but not sure how they have been measured.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we know if anyone with a Gras rig has measured V1 and V2 6SE with the same pads? Im intrigued if any differences are pad related or more inherent. I think they may both have shipped with the Pali pads (the V2 definitely do) but not sure how they have been measured.
I'm not familiar with the details of which exact pads are used on the various models, I do know someone earlier showed this link (https://forum.headphones.com/t/hifiman-he6-official-thread/12784 ) where I got the V2 measurement from (look further down the page at that link) and the measurements at the link is showing an HE6 (not SE) with Velour pads vs an SE V1 with stock pads vs finally the stock SE V2. The first measurement (HE6 not se) with velour pads does look quite close to the stock V2, but don't know what conclusions you can really draw as they're 3 different models of headphones and the stock HE6 doesn't match the HE6se:
Harman 2018-Hifiman HE6-Hifiman HE6se.png

Ah, you've got the V2 haven't you, did you try my EQ I posted earlier? If I remember rightly you tend to start of with an Oratory Harman EQ and then tweak it to your preference......my EQ would be relatively similar to an Oratory EQ given that it's hugging the Harman Curve, but obviously it's not gone through the Oratory measurement process so the methodologies for the creation of the measurements will be different between Headphones.com and Oratory even if they do indeed both use a GRAS rig (so that's one variable of difference).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with the details of which exact pads are used on the various models, I do know someone earlier showed this link (https://forum.headphones.com/t/hifiman-he6-official-thread/12784 ) where I got the V2 measurement from (look further down the page at that link) and the measurements at the link is showing an HE6 (not SE) with Velour pads vs an SE V1 with stock pads vs finally the stock SE V2. The first measurement (HE6 not se) with velour pads does look quite close to the stock V2, but don't know what conclusions you can really draw as they're 3 different models of headphones and the stock HE6 doesn't match the HE6se:
View attachment 153570

Ah, you've got the V2 haven't you, did you try my EQ I posted earlier? If I remember rightly you tend to start of with an Oratory Harman EQ and then tweak it to your preference......my EQ would be relatively similar to an Oratory EQ given that it's hugging the Harman Curve, but obviously it's not gone through the Oratory measurement process so the methodologies for the creation of the measurements will be different between Headphones.com and Oratory even if they do indeed both use a GRAS rig (so that's one variable of difference).
I do have the V2, not tried your eq yet and yes that's generally how I eq my phones where possible.

The graph you worked to shows the v2 bass a fair bit more elevated that oratory measured the v1 to if I read it right and his v1 eq was my starting point. So curious.

I'm now using the Hifiman velipad on the V2 and this is my eq. Unusually, I have a pretty hefty bass shelf for me.

1631739924174.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have the V2, not tried your eq yet and yes that's generally how I eq my phones where possible.

The graph you worked to shows the v2 bass a fair bit more elevated that oratory measured the v1 to if I read it right and his v1 eq was my starting point. So curious.

I'm now using the Hifiman velipad on the V2 and this is my eq. Unusually, I have a pretty hefty bass shelf for me.

View attachment 153576
By eyeballing that Total EQ curve of yours in comparison to the V2 measurement it looks like you'd be very close to the Harman Curve apart from around 2dB more bass boost than Harman. You could always experiment with comparing vs my EQ, but I don't think you're far off from Harman there.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By eyeballing that Total EQ curve of yours in comparison to the V2 measurement it looks like you'd be very close to the Harman Curve apart from around 2dB more bass boost than Harman. You could always experiment with comparing vs my EQ, but I don't think you're far off from Harman there.

1631822630567.png

1631822687680.png

Well, they are to all intents and purposes identical apart from , as you say, a dB or 2 more bass and 2k peak on mine (bottom) and yours (top). For AB purposes I put them both at -5dB preamp. Mine sounds a little fuller because of course I have those 2 areas lifted a bit more.

No surprises really- mine is based on Oratory's V1 EQ with some tweaks, yours is based on (I think) @Resolve GRAS measurement of the V2. And there isnt that much difference in the 2 versions. I honestly cant recall how much I tweaked Oratory filters to get to mine. Mostly only ever on the bass shelf and dont go all the way on the bigger peaks and troughs in the EQ (normally)

EDIT- If I set yours to -3.5 preamp and leave mine at -5 and AB I cant tell. I would have to do some seriously strenuous listening and look for tells to even begin to have a chance in a blind test. Suspect I would be guessing.

Last edited:

Resolve

Reviewer
For reference, the HE6se that I measured was with the stock pads. I'm not sure which pads were used on the one Amir measured. HE6se stock pads were also different from the HE6se V2 pads.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 153747
View attachment 153748

Well, they are to all intents and purposes identical apart from , as you say, a dB or 2 more bass and 2k peak on mine (bottom) and yours (top). For AB purposes I put them both at -5dB preamp. Mine sounds a little fuller because of course I have those 2 areas lifted a bit more.

No surprises really- mine is based on Oratory's V1 EQ with some tweaks, yours is based on (I think) @Resolve GRAS measurement of the V2. And there isnt that much difference in the 2 versions. I honestly cant recall how much I tweaked Oratory filters to get to mine. Mostly only ever on the bass shelf and dont go all the way on the bigger peaks and troughs in the EQ (normally)

EDIT- If I set yours to -3.5 preamp and leave mine at -5 and AB I cant tell. I would have to do some seriously strenuous listening and look for tells to even begin to have a chance in a blind test. Suspect I would be guessing.
Yeah, they're very close, but by looking at those Total EQ Curves I'd expect the top one (which is my EQ of the V2) would potentially sound a bit livelier and less muddy as there is less energy in the 200-500Hz area, as well as less of a bass shelf. Not huge differences though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference, the HE6se that I measured was with the stock pads. I'm not sure which pads were used on the one Amir measured. HE6se stock pads were also different from the HE6se V2 pads.
Wasn't quite sure from watching your comparison vids which pads were on each for measuring and listening tests so thanks for clarifying. Hifiman model /pad specs are something of a nightmare!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, they're very close, but by looking at those Total EQ Curves I'd expect the top one (which is my EQ of the V2) would potentially sound a bit livelier and less muddy as there is less energy in the 200-500Hz area, as well as less of a bass shelf. Not huge differences though.
I suspect the differences we see in eq filters are not as great as the differences we hear.

One day I'm going to blind test it . Make 2 filters identical then adjust one by variances such as on these 2 here and have the wife toggle between with me blinded. I'd be surprised if I can even tell she switched when playing actual music but we will see.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the differences we see in eq filters are not as great as the differences we hear.

One day I'm going to blind test it . Make 2 filters identical then adjust one by variances such as on these 2 here and have the wife toggle between with me blinded. I'd be surprised if I can even tell she switched when playing actual music but we will see.
Small changes in dB can be noticeable if they happen over wide range of frequencies so you might surprise yourself. The most extreme example of that is linear tone control filters. If I remember rightly I was able to notice a difference in tonality with even a 0.5dB tilt if it occurs as a linear tilt from 20Hz - 20000Hz. (Here's a set of 3 High Shelf Filters that work together to form an almost perfect linear tilt from 20Hz -20kHz if you set the Gain(dB) to the same figure for each of the three filters: 63Hz Q0.5 / 632Hz Q0.5 / 6324Hz Q0.5 - so a minus 0.6dB tilt would mean setting each of the three filters to minus 0.2dB)

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Wasn't quite sure from watching your comparison vids which pads were on each for measuring and listening tests so thanks for clarifying. Hifiman model /pad specs are something of a nightmare!
They are terrible when it comes to the constant revisions, how the Hell does someone even know what they really own? Audeze is guilty of this to a lesser degree, too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are terrible when it comes to the constant revisions, how the Hell does someone even know what they really own? Audeze is guilty of this to a lesser degree, too.

Yup, And if the change is generally for the better, so be it but it makes it a nightmare for those that use EQ based on 3rd party measurements of either a different or unknown revision.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The ultra low distortion of the HE6SE sounds like the perfect purchase for me to use with my hybrid tube headphone amps so that I can better hear tube distortion.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The ultra low distortion of the HE6SE sounds like the perfect purchase for me to use with my hybrid tube headphone amps so that I can better hear tube distortion.

If they can drive them loud enough.....

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
@watchnerd , if you are serious about getting a pair of the HE6se, even after the silliness above, Adorama has them for $549, I think that's the lowest price ever
Here's the LINK

Top Bottom