• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

kaydubbed

The HE6s are an odd duck and not for everyone. That being said, I have been using them for over a year daily.

There are some things that you can do [which all probably been mentioned already] to make these headphones the most fun pair you've ever listened to.

1. Swap the grilles. This seller on eBay makes these honeycomb grilles that completely open the headphones. It is unbelievable how much they open up the soundstage. My other phone is an HD800s, so I know soundstage. I've been meaning to spray paint them yellow!

2. Get an 4-pin XLR to Spade Balanced Headphone Cable Speaker Tap Adapter. There used to be a guy on eBay that made them, but they disappeared, and probably not in a good way. Plug that sucker into your power amp, or even AV receiver, pre-amp it, and feel the power. Even cheap amps bring out so much in these headphones. "Ewww dirty power! What about noise??" well don't worry because these aren't very sensitive headphones. Even in my cheap 20yo Yamaha receiver I don't hear a hiss. Just be careful to not blow them.

3. Change your EQ profile. Feeding them directly into a speaker amp changes them into a completely different headphone. Adapt your EQ to suit the changes, and enjoy that 30-40hz sub-bass rumble around your skull. It is bonkers.

Dana reed

The HE6s are an odd duck and not for everyone. That being said, I have been using them for over a year daily.

There are some things that you can do [which all probably been mentioned already] to make these headphones the most fun pair you've ever listened to.

1. Swap the grilles. This seller on eBay makes these honeycomb grilles that completely open the headphones. It is unbelievable how much they open up the soundstage. My other phone is an HD800s, so I know soundstage. I've been meaning to spray paint them yellow!

2. Get an 4-pin XLR to Spade Balanced Headphone Cable Speaker Tap Adapter. There used to be a guy on eBay that made them, but they disappeared, and probably not in a good way. Plug that sucker into your power amp, or even AV receiver, pre-amp it, and feel the power. Even cheap amps bring out so much in these headphones. "Ewww dirty power! What about noise??" well don't worry because these aren't very sensitive headphones. Even in my cheap 20yo Yamaha receiver I don't hear a hiss. Just be careful to not blow them.

3. Change your EQ profile. Feeding them directly into a speaker amp changes them into a completely different headphone. Adapt your EQ to suit the changes, and enjoy that 30-40hz sub-bass rumble around your skull. It is bonkers.
I haven't tried getting speaker terminal adapters for mine, but have used the hifiman adapter to run them off a Vidar. It sounded good, but honestly, both the THX 789 and the Jotunheim also sound good. At that point, though I wasn't trying any EQ on them. May try again with EQ and with one or 2 Vidars (give the Magnepans a break and let the Vidars run some much smaller panels)

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't tried getting speaker terminal adapters for mine, but have used the hifiman adapter to run them off a Vidar. It sounded good, but honestly, both the THX 789 and the Jotunheim also sound good. At that point, though I wasn't trying any EQ on them. May try again with EQ and with one or 2 Vidars (give the Magnepans a break and let the Vidars run some much smaller panels)
The amplifier either has enough power to feed the headphone at peaks or it doesn't. Having a ton of extra power headroom doesn't do anything for you. I think you're fine.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jave

Bugger- wont ship these to GB- although apparently Adorama do ship to us generally. obviously not these. Doesnt look like you can get to any EU country either so guessing its a Hifiman restriction on them
Did it not let you finish checkout or did they later email you about it? Because I don't seem to get any troubles checking out

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did it not let you finish checkout or did they later email you about it? Because I don't seem to get any troubles checking out
At checkout I can't enter Great Britain as Country. I looked for France too.

In their general faq they say they do deliver to GB, hence me saying this particular deal may be country specific.

Luke Lemke

Might be worth a look actually. Cheers
I use a forwarding service from USA to Brazil called "Shopfans". They don't ship to the UK, but apparently you could use Stackry. Maybe you could test them with a cheaper headphone. The Sennheiser 58x are on sale for $129 by the way, if you don't own them already, maybe you could give it a try.
Cheers

https://www.stackry.com/

AVKS

Thanks for heads up. Is Adorama reliable? I don't understand how this can be so cheap compared to the original price. I guess I will buy them.

Yes, Adorama is completely legit; I purchased both my Elegias and a pair of these through them. Regarding the purchase price the retail is just insanely inflated; $650-700 is a pretty reasonable and realistic price for what is very good performance. I think they do it this way to get people to buy thinking they're getting a crazy deal.

edahl

Yes, Adorama is completely legit; I purchased both my Elegias and a pair of these through them. Regarding the purchase price the retail is just insanely inflated; $650-700 is a pretty reasonable and realistic price for what is very good performance. I think they do it this way to get people to buy thinking they're getting a crazy deal.
Deals like that do make me side-eye my HE1000se wondering why I keep it around though haha

ToddB

Forum Donor
Thanks for heads up. Is Adorama reliable? I don't understand how this can be so cheap compared to the original price. I guess I will buy them.
I've purchased the HE6se V2 from Adorama (paying $650 USD). Adorma is reputable (having bought other gear from them in the past; mostly photography related).

The HE6se V2 is exclusive to Adorama (or, at least this version is exclusive).

There is a 'difference' in HE6se models....you will note the HE6se V2 is marketed/sold with two different headbands, and I've seen difference in color where the Adorama version is blue vs more purple-ish from other distributors or more black-ish color as seen on HiFiMan's site (https://hifiman.com/products/detail/294) Both headbands are 'standard' HiFiMan headbands found not only on the HE6se but also on other headphones currently in production (see the Adorama and HiFiMan links to see the difference in headbands). I replaced the headband on the product received from Adorama with another HiFiMan headband for $125 USD...strictly due to personal preference...nothing functionally wrong the the original headband.

And, agree with post that went up prior to my reply....I think they mark it down so people think they are getting a good deal. You might notice the Adorama link posted has '?emailprice=t' at the end of the URL...this suffix on the link is used by Adorama to designate a special price, typically made available to a limited audience. If you go to the Adorama site directly and search for the HE6se you will only see the $1799 version shown....you need the ?emailprice=t to see the $650 price.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $1799 for the HE6se...I had no problem with $650.

Last edited:

Luke Lemke

I've purchased the HE6se V2 from Adorama (paying $650 USD). Adorma is reputable (having bought other gear from them in the past; mostly photography related). The HE6se V2 is exclusive to Adorama (or, at least this version is exclusive). There is a 'difference' in HE6se models....you will note the HE6se V2 is marketed/sold with two different headbands, and I've seen difference in color where the Adorama version is blue vs more purple-ish from other distributors or more black-ish color as seen on HiFiMan's site (https://hifiman.com/products/detail/294) Both headbands are 'standard' HiFiMan headbands found not only on the HE6se but also on other headphones currently in production (see the Adorama and HiFiMan links to see the difference in headbands). I replaced the headband on the product received from Adorama with another HiFiMan headband for $125 USD...strictly due to personal preference...nothing functionally wrong the the original headband. And, agree with post that went up prior to my reply....I think they mark it down so people think they are getting a good deal. You might notice the Adorama link posted has '?emailprice=t' at the end of the URL...this suffix on the link is used by Adorama to designate a special price, typically made available to a limited audience. If you go to the Adorama site directly and search for the HE6se you will only see the $1799 version shown....you need the ?emailprice=t to see the $650 price.
Thanks a lot for the info. Are you happy with your purchase? Did you like the HE6se? I'm thinking about selling my Sundara and buying these.

ToddB

Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for the info. Are you happy with your purchase? Did you like the HE6se? I'm thinking about selling my Sundara and buying these.
Yes, I'm happy with the HE6se (depending upon what I'm listening to...my headphone choice will differ on my mood, whether I'm listening while working or doing critical listening in my music chair later in the evening...my choice also depends upon whether the music is jazz, rock, vocal oriented, classical, acoustic, etc and the musical instruments...e.g. whether piano, alto sax, guitar or vocals etc are more pronounced). The HE6se competently handles anything I throw at it.

My HiFiMan HE-500 (arguably state of the art when purchased circa 2011) doesn't get much use anymore (preferring the HE6se). Depending upon what I'm streaming, I also listen to my Focal Clear MG Professionals (the new for 2021 version). I have ZMF Auteur headphones that are in the final stages of production....it will be interesting to see where these fall in my headphone preferences.

Similarly to what others have concluded, at a certain level of headphone performance I'm not sure if something is truly better or worse....it's just different to me as each headphone I have will involve some compromise in sound reproduction (maybe if I used my Roon equalization I could dial each in a bit more, further minimizing the differences between each...or making one much better than the others). I'm pairing the HE6se with RME ADI-2 DAC FS or a Benchmark DAC3 B and a Monolith THX AAA 887 or Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amplifier. I stream via a Roon Nucleus or a Lumin U1 Mini. Given my upstream gear (and it's ability to drive this headphone), I figure if I don't like what I'm hearing the difference (or reason) is in the headphone....overall I really enjoy my HE6se. I cannot speak to selling the Sundara, but I can provide encouragement to try the HE6se.

Oh, and one last thing. The headphone cable that comes with the HE6se is cosmetically awful....it looks, feels, and is cheap...the worst I've ever seen....plus the cheap sausage skinned sleeve developed some kinks because of how it was packed in the box. I didn't even give it a listen, swapping it out for a longer Moon Audio cable I had laying around (I needed a few more feet to get from my gear to chair).

Luke Lemke

Yes, I'm happy with the HE6se (depending upon what I'm listening to...my headphone choice will differ on my mood, whether I'm listening while working or doing critical listening in my music chair later in the evening...my choice also depends upon whether the music is jazz, rock, vocal oriented, classical, acoustic, etc and the musical instruments...e.g. whether piano, alto sax, guitar or vocals etc are more pronounced). The HE6se competently handles anything I throw at it.

My HiFiMan HE-500 (arguably state of the art when purchased circa 2011) doesn't get much use anymore (preferring the HE6se). Depending upon what I'm streaming, I also listen to my Focal Clear MG Professionals (the new for 2021 version). I have ZMF Auteur headphones that are in the final stages of production....it will be interesting to see where these fall in my headphone preferences.

Similarly to what others have concluded, at a certain level of headphone performance I'm not sure if something is truly better or worse....it's just different to me as each headphone I have will involve some compromise in sound reproduction (maybe if I used my Roon equalization I could dial each in a bit more, further minimizing the differences between each...or making one much better than the others). I'm pairing the HE6se with RME ADI-2 DAC FS or a Benchmark DAC3 B and a Monolith THX AAA 887 or Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amplifier. I stream via a Roon Nucleus or a Lumin U1 Mini. Given my upstream gear (and it's ability to drive this headphone), I figure if I don't like what I'm hearing the difference (or reason) is in the headphone....overall I really enjoy my HE6se. I cannot speak to selling the Sundara, but I can provide encouragement to try the HE6se.

Oh, and one last thing. The headphone cable that comes with the HE6se is cosmetically awful....it looks, feels, and is cheap...the worst I've ever seen....plus the cheap sausage skinned sleeve developed some kinks because of how it was packed in the box. I didn't even give it a listen, swapping it out for a longer Moon Audio cable I had laying around (I needed a few more feet to get from my gear to chair).
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I also own a Focal Clear MG (the brown "home" version), which I love. I've heard great things about the ZMF Auteur but never had the chance to try them. I agree with you that, at a certain level of headphone performance, the law of diminishing returns kicks in strongly. One problem that I face is that my "strongest" amp is the Magni Heresy, it probably won't be powerful enough for the HE6se, which seems to be very hard to drive. When it comes to the cable, I can search for some aftermarket cable options. Anyway, I'll give it some thought and decide in the coming days.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In case anyone is interested, the HE6se V2 are $650 on Adorama.
https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

Not sure if they measure exactly the same as the original
I bought the Adorama / Hifiman HE6SE V2 during the last shipment "discount" in January 2021, paid $699, and I couldn't be happier :)

I recently wrote a long post sharing my experience with the HE6SE V2 + accessories on head-fi, please check it out here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post.692119/post-16456024

There is also a long HE6SE thread on head-fi which will likely liven up now that Adorama has the new shipment in stock, and on discount :)
Hifiman HE6-SE | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Last edited:

ToddB

Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I also own a Focal Clear MG (the brown "home" version), which I love. I've heard great things about the ZMF Auteur but never had the chance to try them. I agree with you that, at a certain level of headphone performance, the law of diminishing returns kicks in strongly. One problem that I face is that my "strongest" amp is the Magni Heresy, it probably won't be powerful enough for the HE6se, which seems to be very hard to drive. When it comes to the cable, I can search for some aftermarket cable options. Anyway, I'll give it some thought and decide in the coming days.
Yes, you will need power to drive the HE6se, certainly compared to your Focal's.

Top Bottom