• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not from what I can see. What sensitivity numbers are you using?

My understanding is that H6SE sensitivity is 83db/mw at 50 ohms. According to the headphone power calculator, the Magni 2 should handle 114db dynamic peaks.

This sounds too much like the "more power is better" myth, which I believe often results because people are guessing how much power they need.

We don't need to guess. Let's use actual numbers. Let's do the math instead by using the headphone power calculator.

How much EQ do you want to add? Use your preamp offset to calculate the additional power need for EQ. What listening level and dynamic peaks?
There's literally a drop down list where you can choose the he-6 at the top of that link. So yes, it disagrees with you. I find it funny it was linked as evidence of the opposite. The person who made the webpage coded it specifically not to recommend using a Magni 2 with the He-6, lol.

You can also clearly see from this review that you're not using the actual measured headphone impedance. The SE is less sensitive than the original He-6. There's no myth in what I'm telling you. You will need more power than the Magni 2 can output to properly drive the he-6se. Especially with parametric EQ applied listening to high dynamic range music at loud levels. Telling people something different is just wrong. You might as well endorse the dude running it off his iPhone. It's silly.

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's literally a drop down list where you can choose the he-6 at the top of that link. So yes, it disagrees with you. I find it funny it was linked as evidence of the opposite. The person who made the webpage coded it specifically not to recommend using a Magni 2 with the He-6, lol.

You can also clearly see from this review that you're not using the actual measured headphone impedance. The SE is less sensitive than the original He-6. There's no myth in what I'm telling you. You will need more power than the Magni 2 can output to properly drive the he-6se. Especially with parametric EQ applied listening to high dynamic range music at loud levels. Telling people something different is just wrong. You might as well endorse the dude running it off his iPhone. It's silly.

We are discussing the HE6SE. Please go look up the sensitivity measurements for that so we can have a conversation based on data, rather than your speculation based on the original HE-6.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are discussing the HE6SE. Please go look up the sensitivity measurements for that so we can have a conversation based on data, rather than your speculation based on the original HE-6.
And as I just informed you the HE6SE has lower sensitivity than the original he-6. Read the first post in this thread.

It's not worth arguing this further. I'm willing to agree to disagree with you.

Last edited:

Explorer

You've overcorrected too far from the speaker power amp camp. There's no way your iPhone has enough output to drive an He-6 to loud volumes with proper dynamic peaks. That's without taking into account any sort of EQ which would boost the power requirements even higher. But hey, if it works for you do it.
Bunch of bollocks mate, the iPhone handles my HE-6se on all my music with 1 volume click to spare.

I purchased the L30 in hope of getting an audible improvement, because I thought the iPhone wouldn’t be audibly transparant. Turns out it was.

Therefore, there’s no sound difference driving the HE-6se from the iPhone and my L30. The reason why those who use a speaker/vintage amp here a difference, is because of the distortion they add to the sound.

Also the HE-6se doesn’t need EQ imo, I hear them as perfectly neutral. But that’s subjective so don’t take it as value.

Skeletor

I'm driving the HE6se (v1) with a Burson Soloist 3X, objectively one of the most powerful headphone amps on the market: 8W per channel @ 16 ohms. On the highest gain setting, at 80/100, the listening levels are good. The Magni 2 is 1.8W per channel @ 16 ohms - it seems to me that there would be no chance the Magni would drive these at reasonable volumes.

MJG

I’m driving the Adorama HE 6se V2 with an SMSL SH-9. I like it quite a bit better than the Sundaras, I don’t know if it’s twice as good for twice the price, but I guess that’s not how it works. I feel like it’s a great buy. Subjectively, I’d say that the most improvement is in the bass accuracy not being diminished by EQ.

The SH-9 can drive it well in low gain, but high gain doesn’t sound “worse”, which I attribute to the SH-9’s capabilities. Max volume for my ears is at about 80 on high gain.

Skeletor

I’m driving the Adorama HE 6se V2 with an SMSL SH-9. I like it quite a bit better than the Sundaras, I don’t know if it’s twice as good for twice the price, but I guess that’s not how it works. I feel like it’s a great buy. Subjectively, I’d say that the most improvement is in the bass accuracy not being diminished by EQ.

The SH-9 can drive it well in low gain, but high gain doesn’t sound “worse”, which I attribute to the SH-9’s capabilities. Max volume for my ears is at about 80 on high gain.

For EDM and metal I’m running a +4db shelf at 130Hz and a +2dB Q1 peak at 30Hz. This delivers the bass slam suited to my taste, without introducing distortion or muddying the response. The fact that the HE6 is so EQ-malleable without sonic compromise is an impressive technical feat unto itself. For acoustic and vocal genres I bump up 1700 and 9800 to push the mids forward add some sparkle to the treble. Between these two separate EQ profiles, these headphones cover a wide range of music genres with brilliance - they’re incredibly versatile.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For EDM and metal I’m running a +4db shelf at 130Hz and a +2dB Q1 peak at 30Hz. This delivers the bass slam suited to my taste, without introducing distortion or muddying the response. The fact that the HE6 is so EQ-malleable without sonic compromise is an impressive technical feat unto itself. For acoustic and vocal genres I bump up 1700 and 9800 to push the mids forward add some sparkle to the treble. Between these two separate EQ profiles, these headphones cover a wide range of music genres with brilliance - they’re incredibly versatile.
Most headphones are "EQ-malleable", especially with those small gains in those filters you mention, so most headphones would benefit from such EQ if it was necessary for that particular headphone.......but I do agree some headphones just deliver better quality bass than others.

Skeletor

Most headphones are "EQ-malleable", especially with those small gains in those filters you mention, so most headphones would benefit from such EQ if it was necessary for that particular headphone.......but I do agree some headphones just deliver better quality bass than others.

I was describing the capability of the headphone, not in relation to my particular EQ. Through experimentation, a +12 boost to bass is also still well controlled on most tracks, without audible distortion.

Skeletor

Just ordered a pair with the $650 Adorama deal, excited to compared these to my HD800S. Hope my DX7 Pro has enough power for them...

Having owned the HD800S, I don’t understand why they’re continually compared. In many ways, the Arya (also owned) is a closer competitor to the HD800S than the HE6se is. The HE6se is a very different beast. Fuller across the spectrum, not as much air or separation, more aggressive in presentation, and with far better bass response to my taste (although with EQ the HD800S isn’t actually a slouch in this department). The only clear comparison I would make is that to some people, they both can sound sibilant without EQ.

Anyway, enjoy them. They’re great (as is the HD800S, for very different reasons). You may struggle to get them up to suitable listening volumes with the DX7 Pro, though, depending on how safe or unsafe your typical listening volumes are. :)

tomtrp

Here is HE-6 vs HE-6SE with Amir's data, people reported HE-6OG is superior with better ''dynamics/punchines''s and more''detailed'', which actually can be explained with FR. Matching frequency is 500hz.
HE-6OG actually has 1-2db higher subbass and quite a bit more high frequency energy than the HE6SE.
HE6 VS HE6SE.png

MrEWhite

Just to be sure, the H6se V2 can be used with Amir's EQ, right?
And, does anyone know if their Hybrid Headband fits on the V2s with no issue?

Last edited:

MrEWhite

I just got mine and installed it. Yeah it fits on the V2 with no issue. Just beware that the clamping force is tighter than the default headband but that's exactly what I was looking for.
I emailed them and asked them if it fit and they said "Sorry it's not compatible. The headband of HE6SE V2 is difficult to be assembled by the end user. So we do not recommend the replacement by yourself." Any reason why you think they would say that?

woof!

I emailed them and asked them if it fit and they said "Sorry it's not compatible. The headband of HE6SE V2 is difficult to be assembled by the end user. So we do not recommend the replacement by yourself." Any reason why you think they would say that?
Well the headband is not made for HE6SE V2. It was probably made for Sundara. Specifically the kit comes with the headband and the screws. HE6SE V2 though doesn't need those screws. I used the one that come with the headphone. I didn't even open the driver. This is a sample image from head-fi he6se thread. Not mine, but I did it like this.
11519293.jpeg

AVKS

I just got mine and installed it. Yeah it fits on the V2 with no issue. Just beware that the clamping force is tighter than the default headband but that's exactly what I was looking for.

That's tempting, as I also find mine rather loose and it just sort of sits on my head, rendering the headband very uncomfortable. Did the sound change for you with the higher clamp, and are you missing the horizontal swivel at all?

MrEWhite

Well the headband is not made for HE6SE V2. It was probably made for Sundara. Specifically the kit comes with the headband and the screws. HE6SE V2 though doesn't need those screws. I used the one that come with the headphone. I didn't even open the driver. This is a sample image from head-fi he6se thread. Not mine, but I did it like this.
11519293.jpeg
It looks like there are washers on it. Does the headband kit come with any washers?

Top Bottom