• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 31.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 234 63.1%

• Total voters

Lexxz

what is the difference between HE400SE and HE400i 2020 Version

staticV3

Master Contributor
what is the difference between HE400SE and HE400i 2020 Version
Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 17.53.17.png
The 400se has less severe high frequency resonances.

danakin

hello everyone,

im new here and bought some 400se for myself for christmas. i have a little question:
can i use any EQ profile without Dac or amp or anything (does it harm anything?)? im using the 400se on a normal desktop pc for gaming and listening to musik.

can someone tell me the best EQ profile, or should i just use amirs ?

best regards,

pete

staticV3

Master Contributor
can i use any EQ profile without Dac or amp
No. You need some DAC and amp, otherwise you have no audio.
But the DAC and amp that's built into your PC/laptop/phone will work just fine. You don't need a dedicated, external DAC and amp to use EQ

does it harm anything?
If you apply EQ without the required software preamp, then this can seriously harm the sound quality as digital clipping occurs.
Your gear can't be harmed by this.
Just make sure the preamp is set correctly and it'll be fine.

See here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ll-which-he400se-eq-preset-sounds-best.38571/
(Click on "View results" under the poll)

Here's the preset that got the most votes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy7w95pv0lzm7wy/Hifiman HE400se.pdf?dl=0

When copying oratory's preset over to Equalizer APO, keep in mind that oratory's "LOW_SHELF" is EQApo's "LSC", not "LS". Same for the high shelf.

Oh and getting EQApo working on the onboard DAC and Amp can be a bit of a chore. With USB DACs it's much easier for some reason.

EQApo is Windows only. If you're on macOS, take a look at Soundsource or eqMac.

Last edited:

JeyElDee

And if you don't want the fuzz but want to add EQ when just playing music, you can EQ from within the application.
Before I usedseperate EQ software I just addes some EQ in the player (I used Musicbee) as follows. Note the minus -3,5 db on the preamp because I added +3,5 db of bass, just to be certain there would be no clipping or distortion.
hfm.JPG

Theodore8

Forum Donor
hello everyone,

im new here and bought some 400se for myself for christmas. i have a little question:
can i use any EQ profile without Dac or amp or anything (does it harm anything?)? im using the 400se on a normal desktop pc for gaming and listening to musik.

best regards,

pete
Hello @danakin, and welcome to ASR!

As others have written, in theory your PC’s DAC and headphone amp should do the work, and you do not need an external DAC and/or amp.

However, since your question concerns specifically the 400se, let me draw your attention to one important limiting factor for that model: amplifier power.

The 400se is a low impedance (25 Ohm) headphone. Which means that it needs to receive relatively high levels of electric current to deliver a given listening volume, relative to other headphones. Which, in practice, means that the 400se’s output (listening) volume will me limited by the amplifier’s maximum power.

The hydraulic analogy works somewhat like this: if you have a water hose with a large diameter (low impedance), and you want the water to come out at high speed (volume) and the water pressure (voltage) is given, then you will need a high flow (current) of said water. Which high flow can only be provided by a powerful pump (amplifier).

Personally, I use the 400se with a Topping DX3Pro+ and, at max power output (0dB) and max gain setting (selected using the inexplicably-labeled “M” button), I find the volume sufficient, but not really fully satisfactory for my taste (and I have perfectly good hearing).

For reference, the DX3Pro+ delivers 2.1V output voltage, and is able deliver a max power of 2x1800mW at 32Ohm. In my experience it is able to power the 400se at 0dB without going into clipping or self-protection (i.e., turning itself off in order not to overheat/burn when current flow is at maximum).

But —and that is a big “but”— I do not EQ. If I would EQ (e.g., to require double or more power for lower frequencies in order to boost the bass, as recommended by @amirm — see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hifiman-he400se-review-headphone.28771/), I can well imagine the DX3Pro+ would come short.

There is helpful site ( https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/) that can help you determine what max listening volume you can achieve for a given amp (power/output voltage) and headphone impedance.

I hope you enjoy both your 400se and ASR!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Hello @danakin, and welcome to ASR!

As others have written, in theory your PC’s DAC and headphone amp should do the work, and you do not need an external DAC and/or amp.

However, since your question concerns specifically the 400se, let me draw your attention to one important limiting factor for that model: amplifier power.

The 400se is a low impedance (25 Ohm) headphone. Which means that it needs to receive relatively high levels of electric current to deliver a given listening volume, relative to other headphones. Which, in practice, means that the 400se’s output (listening) volume will me limited by the amplifier’s maximum power.

The hydraulic analogy works somewhat like this: if you have a water hose with a large diameter (low impedance), and you want the water to come out at high speed (volume) and the water pressure (voltage) is given, then you will need a high flow (current) of said water. Which high flow can only be provided by a powerful pump (amplifier).

Personally, I use the 400se with a Topping DX3Pro+ and, at max power output (0dB) and max gain setting (selected using the inexplicably-labeled “M” button), I find the volume sufficient, but not really fully satisfactory for my taste (and I have perfectly good hearing).

For reference, the DX3Pro+ delivers 2.1V output voltage, and is able deliver a max power of 2x1800mW at 32Ohm. In my experience it is able to power the 400se at 0dB without going into clipping or self-protection (i.e., turning itself off in order not to overheat/burn when current flow is at maximum).

But —and that is a big “but”— I do not EQ. If I would EQ (e.g., to require double or more power for lower frequencies in order to boost the bass, as recommended by @amirm — see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hifiman-he400se-review-headphone.28771/), I can well imagine the DX3Pro+ would come short.

There is helpful site ( https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/) that can help you determine what max listening volume you can achieve for a given amp (power/output voltage) and headphone impedance.

I hope you enjoy both your 400se and ASR!
Now this is how you write an explanation and help a guy! Well done @Theodore8 Kudos to you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For reference, the DX3Pro+ delivers 2.1V output voltage, and is able deliver a max power of 2x1800mW at 32Ohm
Small point of order, that's through the rca line output at the back. The headamp can do over 5v at 32 ohm before clipping.

Theodore8

Forum Donor

dustrials

Wondered why 2 400se sounded slightly different and required different power level for the same volume.
Could it be linked to the differences in wiring of the membrane ? Does more wiring mean "better"/more precise for planars ?
The 2021 version (25ohms 91db) has fewer and more spaced wires than the 2022 version (32ohms 91db). Also the 2022 version covers more area than the 2021.
I bought my 400se recently and got first version with old cable so returned them. Second try is v2021 with 25ohms. I have not very powerful Topping DX1 dac/amp. Shall I try to order v2022? Now I'm listening on 35% volume so I guess it has enough power but maybe I'm missing something in dynamics?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think v2021 are not that different to 2022. As far as driving them goes, you could benefit from a better amp but it’s up to your pocket and if you feel the need to upgrade. IMHO, the DX1 should be plenty to drive them.

dustrials

I think v2021 are not that different to 2022. As far as driving them goes, you could benefit from a better amp but it’s up to your pocket and if you feel the need to upgrade. IMHO, the DX1 should be plenty to drive them.
First unit with old cable was 32 ohm actually and I don't hear the difference. I don't want to change DX1 - it's too good for the price and I like the form RCA/jack simultaneously I'm trying eq and even with -8db preamp it handles it fine.
I have issue with comfort but it different story.

Jonfairway

Hi All new to the forum :) .. I had been looking at the thread for some time as a lurker as such whilst trying to decide if to take a run at these .. which I did a couple of weeks back .. wanted to share my opinion on them .. out of the box they sounded a bit bright , detailed , bad recordings sound harsh .. good recordings are fun and pretty fast , taking onboard some of the EQ'ing entioned on here sorted most shortfalls , bit of a balancing act getting the bass to extend a little and tighten up without affecting mid range to much. The rise in around 8k is easy to sort out .. next to go were the stock grills . replaced them with some hand made ones ... mid range opened up a little in vocal area and bass little more detailed .. i think it also improved imaging a little as well , its better thats for sure , subtle. these can be EQ'd to sound a little dark quite easily without killing the top end.. will post a few pics of the grill mod I made later on.. anyway nice to eventually start chatting to everyone...

pk500

Hi All new to the forum :) .. I had been looking at the thread for some time as a lurker as such whilst trying to decide if to take a run at these .. which I did a couple of weeks back .. wanted to share my opinion on them .. out of the box they sounded a bit bright , detailed , bad recordings sound harsh .. good recordings are fun and pretty fast , taking onboard some of the EQ'ing entioned on here sorted most shortfalls , bit of a balancing act getting the bass to extend a little and tighten up without affecting mid range to much. The rise in around 8k is easy to sort out .. next to go were the stock grills . replaced them with some hand made ones ... mid range opened up a little in vocal area and bass little more detailed .. i think it also improved imaging a little as well , its better thats for sure , subtle. these can be EQ'd to sound a little dark quite easily without killing the top end.. will post a few pics of the grill mod I made later on.. anyway nice to eventually start chatting to everyone...
Welcome to ASR!

Jonfairway

Photo of my Grill mod ... 85mm steel 0.5mm shim washer ... nylon rigid mesh glued to one side of shim and then sealed with liquid electrical tape over the glue .. this should also dampen any ringing.. I hope..
amps and he400se.jpg

Jonfairway

Original Grill is metal mesh small holes .. open back yes ... to a certain extent .. they are more open now :) but the shim has a width of around 8 MM so wanted to make sure it was less likely to reflect as much ...

Top Bottom