• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 31.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.1%

• Total voters

Jonfairway

Its also very obvious listening to sound escaping the drivers ( outside ) between original grills and modded ones ... a lot more sound escapes with modded ... They are very difficult to drive properly .. The L30ii on high gain has plenty of power ... the Tube amp Dared struggles a little ..

Last edited:

Countach

Bought them a few days ago. I can compare to HE-4xx I've been using for the past 5 years.

I use Dekoni hybrid pads and I've also switched the 1,5m cable to a 3m one I found on Amazon (it's cheap and of nice quality). The DAC/AMP is Topping DX3 Pro+.

Overall I'm pleased with the 400se, although they sound a bit different from the 4xx. The lowest bass is more roundy and laid-back. On the other hand, there is more detail in upper bass and mid range - I can hear more background sounds, which I like. Unfortunately, I also find the trebles a little too sharp at times. 4xx are definitely more reserved here. The soundstage is quite the same. I use Oratory EQ settings as a base, but I'm still tweaking it a bit, especially in the 8-10 kHz range.

I thought the build quality would be somewhat cheap (they seemed to me like that on some official photos and ads), but in fact they look and feel pretty good. Also, they fit more comfortably on my head than 4xx.

I can't say which of those two headphones I like more. Both are good and unquestionable bargains.

Attachments

• he400se.jpg
    he400se.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 113

Xaviedie

Hello, what walkman for the Hifiman HE400SE audio headset from 25omhs?

Smartphone: ? LG G7Think => output impedance raise = cross out

DAP Hi-Res: ?

Headphone amplifier (without dac):?

Headphone amplifier (with dac): RME ADI 2 DAC and company.. there are plenty in this department. It's not my goal, sedentary use.

My goal: Mobile use at home = Smathphone or DAP Hi Res with low output impedance => Hifiman HE400SE at 25ohms, it is for this reason

pk500

Hello, what walkman for the Hifiman HE400SE audio headset from 25omhs?

Smartphone: ? LG G7Think => output impedance raise = cross out

DAP Hi-Res: ?

Headphone amplifier (without dac):?

Headphone amplifier (with dac): RME ADI 2 DAC and company.. there are plenty in this department. It's not my goal, sedentary use.

My goal: Mobile use at home = Smathphone or DAP Hi Res with low output impedance => Hifiman HE400SE at 25ohms, it is for this reason
There's more to the ability to drive a headphone than impedance. Sensitivity matters a LOT, too.

For example, a can with 25 ohms impedance and 85 db sensitivity will be a hell of a lot tougher to drive than a can with 25 ohms and 103 db.

poxymoron

I have both the HD560S and HE400SE.

I find it difficult to comment on this as someone else's may have a different experience from me because of a different anatomy.

But I would avoid merely looking at the width and height of the opening as a way to determine how you will experience a pair of headphones.

As already mentioned depth is important as well, but it's probably in fact the entire design that matters. On the 500 series for example, you have a bump at the rear of the cavity to lodge the rather thick yoke of that series, right where some people's ear lobes are going to bump into. Apparently that isn't a problem for you, but it's a moderate one for me.

If I may, even though they have by far the smaller earcup size, I personally find the Bose QC's series roomier for my ear lobes than either the Sennheiser 5... series or the HE400SE (because they've been really intelligently designed).

So if possible I'd encourage you to form an opinion yourself after trying them :D.
Just wondering how these two headphones compare for sound and which ones are your favourite? Thanks.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just wondering how these two headphones compare for sound and which ones are your favourite? Thanks.

It's probably a better idea to try them in person if you can, or base yourself on graphs as a first step than on my subjective opinion, no :D ?
I'm not a huge fan of either, albeit for completely different reasons.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
just tried these headphones for a day or two, listened to both original sound and EQ.
the sound is nice and maybe considering the price it might offer better value than Sundara, but it still cannot replace or imitate Hifiman's egg-shaped headphones characteristics.

poxymoron

It's probably a better idea to try them in person if you can, or base yourself on graphs as a first step than on my subjective opinion, no :D ?
I'm not a huge fan of either, albeit for completely different reasons.
I get that and fully agree but I'm unlikely to have that option, but for price I'm not overly concerned seeing as this is a bit of an impulse purchase. And yes, it's all subjective anyway. I'm looking to get a better headphone later in the year when I can agree with myself on my upgrade path (DAC, amp, etc.) but I see one of these as a short term option that I can then pass on to my 17 year old son for his music and gaming and to try and pique his interest in audio.

pk500

I get that and fully agree but I'm unlikely to have that option, but for price I'm not overly concerned seeing as this is a bit of an impulse purchase. And yes, it's all subjective anyway. I'm looking to get a better headphone later in the year when I can agree with myself on my upgrade path (DAC, amp, etc.) but I see one of these as a short term option that I can then pass on to my 17 year old son for his music and gaming and to try and pique his interest in audio.
I've owned both and will chime in.

The 560s is better for gaming. Period. Better imaging, soundstage, separation, detail.

The HE400se is better for musical enjoyment. Period. Yes, the 560s has more detail and is more neutral. But its sound signature is clinical and dry, with peaky treble -- that will be boring for a 17-year-old. The HE400se is slightly more V-shaped, with more energy and weight to the notes. Much more fun for non-critical listening.

Sorry, but when choosing between these two cans for gaming and musical enjoyment, Goldilocks doesn't exist.

OnLyTNT

In my point of view, I wouldn't appreciate an fully open back headphone at that age, they leak sound in and out. Not suitable for gaming and pr0n...

poxymoron

In my point of view, I wouldn't appreciate an fully open back headphone at that age, they leak sound in and out. Not suitable for gaming and pr0n...
Boom boom. Everybody knows the best solution for pr0n is a single ear pod!!

Jonfairway

staticV3 said:
Do you mean slightly more Ʌ-shaped?

agree with you after some long listening sessions . bass needs a boost .. there is a peak around 8k' ish that needs a little taming , but over all the high treble rolls off , upper mids , lower treble between 1k and 2k needs a little poke upwards for me also , increasing bass affects midrange a little so i also lifted 320 a tad to re-emphasize vocals a tad .. it EQ's oddly at times, out of the box it can play nasty with poor recordings .. upping EQ at around 16k adds some sparkle and seems to affect imaging a little !! lots of trial and error ..

poxymoron

what is the differents between he560 and he400se

niof

It definitely sounds better than with the original grid. More open, more responsive, more natural. You can feel the absence of the resonances that are reflected from the relatively large, smooth inner surface of the original grille, which colour the sound. I'd have to sand it down to make it look better. Traces of 3D printing bother me a bit.

sblrog

Excited to be joining the HE400SE club and (entry-level) planar magnetic club. Just ordered some B-stock for 79 USD. Can't wait!

Top Bottom