• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 100187The red and blue can be caused solely by placement where red is certainly more representative than blue. This is a very common issue I see with people doing measurements. Some also do averaging of various position which still ended up with non representative measurement.
This is very interesting..so you're saying the free field measurements would have an extended treble response with breakup higher up?

I would love to see such measurements of a planar or dynamic headphone driver. I'm not familiar with what is technically possible with drivers that don't have to play loud.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This is very interesting..so you're saying the free field measurements would have an extended treble response with breakup higher up?

I would love to see such measurements of a planar or dynamic headphone driver. I'm not familiar with what is technically possible with drivers that don't have to play loud.
Sure. When I get the tools.

alexstone

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Hifiman HE400i planar magnetic headphone. I purchased this back in 2017 mainly to test headphone amplifiers. The latest version which I am told is different costs US $185 from Amazon including Prime shipping.

The HE400i is quite light and fits quite well on my head:

View attachment 100131

The stock cord is removable which is nice. As is though, it is stiff, rather short and comes with that odd right angle 3.5mm headphone jack. Seems like they assumed people would be using this in a portable application. For my desktop use all of these are aggravations. I have to use a 1/4 inch adapter with it and the right angle cord gets in the way of my controls. The short cord has also pulled the headphone off my head in more than one occasion.

Here is a zoomed picture of the cup with no informational value:

View attachment 100132

The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. I searched for any and all measurements I could find online. Alas while a number of them are close to mine, none are using the exact fixture down to coupler and pinna. As you will see, I have confirmed the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests.

I have calibrated my headphone fixture with 94 dBSPL test tones and decided that I use the same for headphone measurements. However, instead of using 1 kHz tone I have opted for 425 Hz. This seems to better match research data.

I have also made a lot of progress in building a better test suite for the measurements. More updates and changes will be coming but I am starting to feel good about this set.

Hifiman HE400i (2016) Measurements
There is nothing more important than frequency response of the headphone as each is seemingly different and that difference leaves a very distinct character:

View attachment 100133

The ASR preference curve is in sold dashed blue. The red and green are each channel. Matching is pretty good. What is not good is cheating us out of a lot of energy in the all important region of 1 to 3 kHz. Why oh why? This is a common theme among many headphones it seems.

As is usual, bass energy is lower than our target although not as bad as some others I have tested.

What is unusual is all the kinks and noise in the graph. Transfer function of the headphone must be changing in complex ways to create these. Indeed looking at the distortion curve shows us some of this:

View attachment 100136

Someone post that the HE400i is one of the lowest distortion headphones out there. I sure hope not given the above performance! Here is the same data but shown as absolute distortion level rather than percentage:

View attachment 100141

I have picked the 40 dB as my tentative threshold level. As we see bass distortion is quite good but we have peaking around 400 Hz and 1.5 kHz.

Oh, in case some of you have trouble reading the frequency response chart and want a more "speaker like" frequency response, here it is:
View attachment 100138

I use this graph for equalization. Be careful in the troughs toward the end. Do not try to boost those as they are likely cancellations due to reflections inside the cups. We can see this in the group delay graph:

View attachment 100139

Notice how the frequency response errors between 200 and 300 Hz are repeated here.

I made quick fixture to measure impedance (better one to come soon when I get the precision resistors I ordered):

View attachment 100142

Note that the above display is highly zoomed. Otherwise it would look like a flat line which planar magnetic drivers are known for. As zoomed, the peaks are dependent on how the headphone is mounted. On my head they were lower in frequency than on the fixture.

Hifiman HE400i Headphone Listening Tests
As is, the headphone has a rather "open" sound but nowhere near the spatial effects that the Sennheiser HD800S had. The sound is compressed around a grouping close to my ears. Tonality seems rather dull and closed in. So comes out the EQ tools:

View attachment 100145

Wow, what a difference this made. The sound is now impressive with fantastic dynamics and very clean bass. Detail is improved substantially. On my "speaker killer" tracks without EQ, I could hardly hear the deep notes. With EQ on they came to live without the overall tonality sound like "too much bass." Note how I am lifting the frequencies below 50 Hz or so. It is a bit like adding a subwoofer, not boosting the lows in your speaker. With EQ, I now get deep bass performance that simply does not exist in any bookshelf speaker.

Tracks like Artillery Infected Mushroom sound so much more live with EQ that you can't help but want to bob your head and band on the desk in unison!

Then we swing to the other extreme with Kristin Asbjørnsen's wonderful track, Rain, oh Lord:

As for the distortions we saw in the graphs, I could tell you that I hear them but I am not sure at all. The highs sound a bit shrill at moderate levels. Turning the levels up accentuates this. But this could just be me not trying to EQ above 8 kHz. A shelving filter may help there.

Conclusions
This review was prompted by a member suggesting that the Hifiman HE400i can present that interesting spatial quality that the Sennheiser HD800S. Alas, that is not the case. Maybe there is a hint of that but not more. The frequency response of HE400i shows more bass response which is good but also less energy in the important 1 to 3 kHz region. EQ therefore is mandatory to restore proper balance, resolution, deep bass and detail. Once there, this is a new headphone, producing a very enjoyable experience.

Until I did this test and developed the EQ that you saw, I rarely used the HE400i But now, I am actually anxious to listen to it more! I can't get over how "high fi" it sounds with equalization! :)

I will give the HE400i a pass without equalization. With EQ, I am happy to give the Hifiman HE400i a recommendation.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I would really appreciate it if you could kindly provide the average raw frequency response of left and right channels.
Also, is it possible to publish the numerical raw frequency response measurement data?

mrmoizy

I bought an he 400i in 2018 after seeing Amir use it in tests. While I liked its sparkly quality, it certainly became my least used can. I always thought it was too bass light. But the rubbing of bows on string instruments was always particularly beautiful on this headphone.

I just applied Amir's EQ using Roon on this can. Wow, what a difference! Amir was right when he said it takes the 400i from a mid fi can to something almost approximating my HD800! However, I could tell immediately that the sound is way more cramped and not as finely detailed as my HD800, but besides that, it certainly is a great sounding can!

I would caution anybody wanting to buy this can though that the headband is extremely fragile and did break on me, so I had to order a replacement. I know they came out with a 2020 version that has a new headband, but if you are getting this older model, be aware of that.

Re: the weak headband, my experience as well with the HE4xx. Ended up modding the cup to have it take a completely different headband, works great now. Also applied a similar EQ, and it does make a world of difference

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Just so everyone's aware, there are not only two main versions of the 400i (this old one, and the new 2020 version), but there were in fact several revisions within the old version too. These revisions included a change to the connector from SMC to 2.5mm, plus the removal of the 'backplate' attached to the rear of the magnet array, the latter having audible effects. What complicates things further is these two revisions were not done at the same time, and not always consistently one after the other, meaning there could actually be four different 'old' 400i sub-versions out there (I've seen users describing three of the four possible permutations of SMC/2.5mm connector and with/without backplate). See here for details. From that thread, the relative differences of measurements by solderdude here, and comparing with Oratory's measurements here, I suspect the unit measured in this review does have the backplate. The measurements here have the wiggles around 200-300 Hz coinciding with excess group delay, suggesting cancellations due to cup reflections, possibly off the backplate. Anecdotally, users have said this makes the backplate versions sound more 'closed-in' with less of an expansive soundstage when compared with versions without the backplate. The backplate versions also show the highest distortion of all the HE4 models. In contrast, the HE4XX for example has very low distortion across the board:

THD_20170801135524.jpg

It also does not have a backplate, and so does not suffer from the same earcup reflections and so non-minimum phase behaviour that likely degrades soundstage exhibited by the 400i version measured here, so any inferences about the HE4XX from this review are unfounded; they're very different headphones (not just limited to backplate differences either). As for whether the HE4XX offers the same soundstage as the HD800S, I don't think anyone claimed that - just that the former also has high (but not necessarily quite as much) pinna activation due to its relatively large earcups and driver (angled by the pads). Obviously the HD800S's earcups are larger still so this might illicit a larger sense of space, but I suspect this may partly be down to simply ergonomics and the pads not touching any part of the ear, meaning they 'disappear' more on the head giving more of an illusion of hearing sound coming from an actual outside source. What I don't think the HD800S's soundstage is down to is any mysterious 'technicalities' that you have to pay thousands of dollars for. A more reasonably priced headphone with large angled earcups will do e.g. the Koss ESP/95X (with angled pads) for a thousand dollars less (including amp), which has lower distortion when EQing up the bass to boot (both requiring EQ anyway, as most headphones do).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would really appreciate it if you could kindly provide the average raw frequency response of left and right channels.
Also, is it possible to publish the numerical raw frequency response measurement data?
The numerical data is attached to the review. You can average them yourself with that data.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm really curious if the THD spike is caused by the dreaded planar ringing. I have the monolith m570, and the m570's have a ringing resonance somewhere in the mid frequencies where the FR looks like a sawtooth/triangle. It rarely bothers me with music, but spoken content and clicks or pops ,it's noticable.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In contrast, the HE4XX for example has very low distortion across the board:

THD_20170801135524.jpg
Hmmm. You post this in the 800S thread:

Yes I have the HE4XX, the soundstage is great. And yes its distortion is nice and low:

index.php

Unlike what you post jut now, this one shows the clear problems in the mid-range and correlated well with my measurements:

index.php

Both show similar distortion in 300 to 400 Hz range and again around 1 to 2 kHz. Yet you said distortion was "nice and low?" Regardless, the correlation is good enough between my measurements and Tyll are good enough that I say we are looking at a real issue here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm really curious if the THD spike is caused by the dreaded planar ringing. I have the monolith m570, and the m570's have a ringing resonance somewhere in the mid frequencies where the FR looks like a sawtooth/triangle. It rarely bothers me with music, but spoken content and clicks or pops ,it's noticable.
That is my guess as well. It is a classic problem with planar magnetic speakers as well.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
(Ringing) is a classic problem with planar magnetic speakers as well.

Curious - does the ringing show clearly in a CSD 'waterfall' plot?

Actual measurements of the HE4XX and newer 2020 HE400i will be interesting to compare. As will the double-sided magnet (different dampening possibility?) Ananda and Drop HE5XX/Deva (wired)..

Looking forward to more future great reviews!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you made a blind test? Or do you only imagining that in your brain?
Very hard to imagine such large EQ changes. But yes, Harman has performed double blind tests where they actually take one headphone and make it sound similar to another. So it absolutely makes a difference and a large one. We are not talking about tiny differences between electronics and such.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
they have this new budget he400se for $89.99
Had*
It was US$89.99 on aliexpress on Nov 11 (11/11 is equivalent to Black Friday in China).
Currently at US$165 at aliexpress.com (which is similar in price of US$170 HE400I 2020).

Are there measurements for these?

MadMan

The distortion in the midrange roughly correlates to the lower level from ~1kHz to 3kHz. I've seen similar correlations at various frequencies in a lot of headphone measurements, it makes me think it's designed in by the manufacturers to keep distortion under control at the cost of more idealized FR. People then go on to EQ the headphone to correct the FR, but just give subjective impressions and don't seem to measure the distortion. This leaves open the huge question of how much distortion there is post-EQ in these frequency ranges since it's starting from a higher distortion baseline.

Is it so hard to do the measurement suite again after EQ? Otherwise these headphone tests seem like a waste of time, there are plenty of people doing the same measurements. It's just not very ASR-like to do a bunch of measurements, make some big changes via EQ or whatever, then draw conclusions with EQ only from subjective impressions.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought these knowing Amir would measure them one day! ;)

I'm currently using PEQ filters by jaakkopasanen (originally measured by Oratory1990), and posted on 2020-11-18.

I've also imported Amir's posted Roon filters into PEACE (PEQ for Windows):

I assumed -5dB for preamp. On a side note: Is there a formula to calculate it?

Here's a quick comparison between jaakkopasanen and Amir's PEQ filters.
Very nice Amir!
I've listened to both, and they're both worthwhile improvements over original sound.
Wow, big differences in the EQ curves between the two. I'd have to check if the Target Curves are the same to explain the difference, or if the headphone measurements are that different between Oratory & Amir on this headphone. Have you looked into that side of it? (Additionally, it could be a different version of the headphone given what bobbooo posted below).
Just so everyone's aware, there are not only two main versions of the 400i (this old one, and the new 2020 version), but there were in fact several revisions within the old version too. These revisions included a change to the connector from SMC to 2.5mm, plus the removal of the 'backplate' attached to the rear of the magnet array, the latter having audible effects. What complicates things further is these two revisions were not done at the same time, and not always consistently one after the other, meaning there could actually be four different 'old' 400i sub-versions out there (I've seen users describing three of the four possible permutations of SMC/2.5mm connector and with/without backplate). See here for details. From that thread, the relative differences of measurements by solderdude here, and comparing with Oratory's measurements here, I suspect the unit measured in this review does have the backplate. The measurements here have the wiggles around 200-300 Hz coinciding with excess group delay, suggesting cancellations due to cup reflections, possibly off the backplate. Anecdotally, users have said this makes the backplate versions sound more 'closed-in' with less of an expansive soundstage when compared with versions without the backplate. The backplate versions also show the highest distortion of all the HE4 models. In contrast, the HE4XX for example has very low distortion across the board:

THD_20170801135524.jpg

It also does not have a backplate, and so does not suffer from the same earcup reflections and so non-minimum phase behaviour that likely degrades soundstage exhibited by the 400i version measured here, so any inferences about the HE4XX from this review are unfounded; they're very different headphones (not just limited to backplate differences either). As for whether the HE4XX offers the same soundstage as the HD800S, I don't think anyone claimed that - just that the former also has high (but not necessarily quite as much) pinna activation due to its relatively large earcups and driver (angled by the pads). Obviously the HD800S's earcups are larger still so this might illicit a larger sense of space, but I suspect this may partly be down to simply ergonomics and the pads not touching any part of the ear, meaning they 'disappear' more on the head giving more of an illusion of hearing sound coming from an actual outside source. What I don't think the HD800S's soundstage is down to is any mysterious 'technicalities' that you have to pay thousands of dollars for. A more reasonably priced headphone with large angled earcups will do e.g. the Koss ESP/95X (with angled pads) for a thousand dollars less (including amp), which has lower distortion when EQing up the bass to boot (both requiring EQ anyway, as most headphones do).
That's very interesting re the "even more" different versions, and it's possible connection to distortion & soundstage....I would hope this is the case given my HE4XX purchase. It's true there's some differences in those two distortion graphs you posted which Amir highlighted. I suppose we don't know what SPL the one above in your post was measured at? Maybe different equipment? Not sure which one is most valid.
Hmmm. You post this in the 800S thread:

index.php

Unlike what you post jut now, this one shows the clear problems in the mid-range and correlated well with my measurements:

index.php

Both show similar distortion in 300 to 400 Hz range and again around 1 to 2 kHz. Yet you said distortion was "nice and low?" Regardless, the correlation is good enough between my measurements and Tyll are good enough that I say we are looking at a real issue here.

Tks

Major Contributor
That is my guess as well. It is a classic problem with planar magnetic speakers as well.

Is there anywhere I can read about this? Never heard of it before (maybe LCD2C's aren't prone to it much?) Maybe I should ping Mad Economist, since that dude knows basically everything about headphones >_>

wasnotwasnotwas

THD_20170801135524.jpg

I think someone might have to send Amir a pair of 4xx ;)

wasnotwasnotwas

Good review. Any ideas on whether you could create some kind of ranking? Not sure how given the many variables but at some point, I suspect folks in the market for new cans might want to know which you consider "best' in their price range. As it reads, I think you prefer the 800S to these but of course a huge price variation.

Top Bottom