• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

ThomsBrown92

I bought a 400i in 2018 after seeing Amir use it in tests. While I liked its sparkly quality, it certainly became my least used can. I always thought it was too bass light. But the rubbing of bows on string instruments was always particularly beautiful on this headphone.

I just applied Amir's EQ using Roon on this can. Wow, what a difference! Amir was right when he said it takes the 400i from a mid fi can to something almost approximating my HD800! However, I could tell immediately that the sound is way more cramped and not as finely detailed as my HD800, but besides that, it certainly is a great sounding can!

I would caution anybody wanting to buy this can though that the headband is extremely fragile and did break on me, so I had to order a replacement. I know they came out with a 2020 version that has a new headband, but if you are getting this older model, be aware of that.
I would like to buy the 2020 model, do you know what changes? the differences between hifiman he-400i and he-400i 2020.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the differences between hifiman he-400i and he-400i 2020.

01 skyblue = HE400i (orig), red = HE400i (2020).png

Better bass extension in the original HE400i, more comfy pads in 2020 version different headband design and color scheme.

HE400i 2020 vs other models:
he400i-versus.gif

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, so only the bass changes, which are more present in the original version? at the soundstage level they should be identical right?
Buy both from amazon, return the one you like the least. You REALLY need to audition headphones, other peoples' opinions are entirely subjective especially when it comes to soundstage and other factors not obvious from frequency, distortion and other measurements.

For what its worth- my experience of the round Hifiman models is that soundstage depth/ width is not their strength.

ThomsBrown92

Buy both from amazon, return the one you like the least. You REALLY need to audition headphones, other peoples' opinions are entirely subjective especially when it comes to soundstage and other factors not obvious from frequency, distortion and other measurements.

For what its worth- my experience of the round Hifiman models is that soundstage depth/ width is not their strength.
which HiFiMan models have you tried? I would be curious

ThomsBrown92

now I'm undecided between the HiFiMan he400i (which unfortunately have less bass for me) and the AKG K702

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
now I'm undecided between the HiFiMan he400i (which unfortunately have less bass for me) and the AKG K702

And at that point you either buy both and return one or pick one and be happy. No one here can make that call for you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
which HiFiMan models have you tried? I would be curious
4XX, 350, XS, 6SE v2

XS is the most "open" sounding - some might equate that with soundstage. The HE6 is my favourite but in a different price bracket to the rest.

Between the 702 and 400- if you value bass, definitely the 400. The 702 is airier. I suspect users that have tried both would say the 702 has better soundstage

ThomsBrown92

4XX, 350, XS, 6SE v2

XS è il suono più "aperto" - alcuni potrebbero identificarlo con il soundstage. L'HE6 è il mio preferito ma in una fascia di prezzo diversa dal resto.

Tra il 702 e il 400, se apprezzi i bassi, sicuramente il 400. Il 702 è più arioso. Sospetto che gli utenti che hanno provato entrambi direbbero che il 702 ha un soundstage migliore

grazie ancora, hai mai avuto / provato l'AKG K702? o sai qualcosa, rispetto all'HiFiMan he400i

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
grazie ancora, hai mai avuto / provato l'AKG K702? o sai qualcosa, rispetto all'HiFiMan he400i
I have the K701. Very similar to the 702. Like I say, at this point I think you need to try. You are in danger of analysis paralysis, If one person says they prefer AKG to Hifiman and someone else says the opposite, where does that leave you?

ThomsBrown92

I have the K701. Very similar to the 702. Like I say, at this point I think you need to try. You are in danger of analysis paralysis, If one person says they prefer AKG to Hifiman and someone else says the opposite, where does that leave you?
I was looking for an objective analysis between the 2 headphones in reality, I don't know if you could help me ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking for an objective analysis between the 2 headphones in reality, I don't know if you could help me ...
You've got that. The frequency charts in the crinacle link.

Everything else would be subjective other than weight and build. I can't be bothered to look but I would guess the akg would have higher thd at higher volumes for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What objective methodology did you use to whittle it down to the K702 or the 400i?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K702 vs orig HE400i.png

A substantial difference in
Clarity, open, forward, clear, bright sound = K702
Laid-back, 'midrangy', romantic sound = HE400i (2020) and HE400SE
All are 'lean' in the bass compared to the Harman target.

Clarity = 1-3kHz range. The differences ere are almost 15dB !!!
These are not comparable.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 214405
A substantial difference in
Clarity, open, forward, clear, bright sound = K702
Laid-back, 'midrangy', romantic sound = HE400i (2020) and HE400SE
All are 'lean' in the bass compared to the Harman target.

Clarity = 1-3kHz range. The differences ere are almost 15dB !!!
These are not comparable.
Romantic is a new one on me!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I sometimes do not believe the sound descriptors on some subjective websites. This is just one that makes some sense to some folks :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

ThomsBrown92

You've got that. The frequency charts in the crinacle link.

Everything else would be subjective other than weight and build. I can't be bothered to look but I would guess the akg would have higher thd at higher volumes for whatever that's worth.
considering the headphones together with the amp you think the AKGs are better

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
considering the headphones together with the amp you think the AKGs are better
I dont know what you mean. Amps dont really come into it with either of these. Any halfway competent amp should be able to drive either OK.

These are two very different headphones as @solderdude demonstrated above and as I said.

I think what you want is someone to "sell" you one or the other. Thats not going to happen.

ThomsBrown92

I dont know what you mean. Amps dont really come into it with either of these. Any halfway competent amp should be able to drive either OK.

These are two very different headphones as @solderdude demonstrated above and as I said.

I think what you want is someone to "sell" you one or the other. Thats not going to happen.
I think I take the AKGs, because of the slightly more present bass of the he400i 2020, and for the clarity, which I hope is useful in game and does not stress the ear too much, compared to the relaxed sound of the HiFiMan. You who have tried multiple headphones, what would you say? those are fair considerations, if you were to imagine yourself in a soundstage in a PC game

Top Bottom