• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Remarkably, another unsolicited treatise on the same point you've made at least 3 times already in this thread. I heard you. I maybe don't quite care as much as you.

Ok, you don't care about sound quality or its major determining factors, on an audio science forum, got it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Remarkably, another unsolicited treatise on the same point you've made at least 3 times already in this thread. I heard you. I maybe don't quite care as much as you.
It's a very well shown point that bobbooo made though, so that's really easy to see the difference pads can make to a headphone - that's only a positive thing for people to know.......enlightening people, removing audiofoolery/myths, etc.
There are half a dozen other well-regarded mid fi headphones in the world for me to use, including ones I already own.

It's just not worth the bother, especially given headphones aren't my primary listening modality.
Yeah, fair enough

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a very well shown point that bobbooo made though, so that's really easy to see the difference pads can make to a headphone - that's only a positive thing for people to know.......enlightening people, removing audiofoolery/myths, etc.

Yeah, fair enough
For the love of all that is holy, I'm not doubting or denying yours or his point. I'm saying I don't care as much as you do and you can Stop. Please. Making. It.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
For the love of all that is holy, I'm not doubting or denying yours or his point. I'm saying I don't care as much as you do and you can Stop. Please. Making. It.

This all started with you 'vouching' for Dekoni pads and the (persistently common) conflation of the HE400i and HE4XX (despite me previously explaining at length that their pads are different, both visably and sonically, which was somehow still not heeded by you). My posts since have been to correct this misinformation, and caution others against assuming 3rd party pads will have minimal effect on sound quality (for the many that come to an audio forum who very much care about sound quality), in particular by showing industry standard measurement data that suggest the very pad company you vouch for do not necessarily ensure their products have minimal adverse effects on the sound quality of the headphones they were made for. Feel free to ignore my posts, they're not for you - they're there to correct you, and your erroneous conjectures, for the benefit of other readers who may otherwise take them at face value.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This all started with you 'vouching' for Dekoni pads and the (persistently common) conflation of the HE400i and HE4XX (despite me previously explaining at length that their pads are different, both visably and sonically, which was somehow still not heeded by you). My posts since have been to correct this misinformation, and caution others against assuming 3rd party pads will have minimal effect on sound quality (for the many that come to an audio forum who very much care about sound quality), in particular by showing industry standard measurement data that suggest the very pad company you vouch for do not necessarily ensure their products have minimal adverse effects on the sound quality of the headphones they were made for. Feel free to ignore my posts, they're not for you - they're there to correct you, and your erroneous conjectures, for the benefit of other readers who may otherwise take them at face value.
Ahhh, I see the problem now. You perceive I didnt sufficiently heed or kowtow to your knowhow. You don't like that, do you?So you try and sledgehammer your point home. Except, and heres the thing, I have always acknowledged that pads affect the sound of the phone. Read the conversation I was having. I like the construction of the dekoni pads I have, they feel better than other aftermarket multiple model pad makes I have tried. Hence I "vouch" for them to someone I'm in conversation with who is already discussing said pads. That's kind of how this place works.

You're really quite unpleasant.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Ahhh, I see the problem now. You perceive I didnt sufficiently heed or kowtow to your knowhow. You don't like that, do you?So you try and sledgehammer your point home. Except, and heres the thing, I have always acknowledged that pads affect the sound of the phone. Read the conversation I was having. I like the construction of the dekoni pads I have, they feel better than other aftermarket multiple model pad makes I have tried. Hence I "vouch" for them to someone I'm in conversation with who is already discussing said pads. That's kind of how this place works.

You're really quite unpleasant.

Continue to promulgate misinformation despite being presented with clear (even photographic) evidence to the contrary, and recommend audio accessories that will likely result in worse sound quality, and people will continue to correct you and caution others against your advice. That's kind of how this place works.

The unpleasantness started with this comment of yours, and has continued from you since. I'm going to curtail this here.

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, you don't care about sound quality or its major determining factors, on an audio science forum, got it.

I've just ordered the hybrid pads for my HE-560 last week. I like the original pads, but they are wearing out quickly and since I'm liable to spend as much as 3-4 hours a day with them, I'd like to see if the Dekoni's will be a little more comfortable and let my ears breathe more. I'm not worried about the change in EQ since I roll my own and can make corrections if needed. I'll try to measure at least the obvious effects of the new pads with in-ear mics and a flat plate to see if they really make a significant difference.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The unpleasantness started with this comment of yours, and has continued from you since. I'm going to curtail this here.

Actually, I think it was back a little further, around here:

Well if you care at all about sound quality, then it should be a big issue to you.

Not sure why you felt someone making comments about earpads meant that they didn't care *at all* about sound quality, and the forum membership needed saving from harmful info.

It almost looks like you were just trying to pick a fight.

Less of that would be great.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone got an opinion on Dekoni pads? Do they affect sound quality? Is it worth knowing more?

(showing myself out)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just ordered the hybrid pads for my HE-560 last week. I like the original pads, but they are wearing out quickly and since I'm liable to spend as much as 3-4 hours a day with them, I'd like to see if the Dekoni's will be a little more comfortable and let my ears breathe more. I'm not worried about the change in EQ since I roll my own and can make corrections if needed. I'll try to measure at least the obvious effects of the new pads with in-ear mics and a flat plate to see if they really make a significant difference.

Installed the Dekoni hybrid pads. They do make measurable difference, but work just fine with my original EQ settings, and sound as good, if not better:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-stock-on-hifiman-he-560-v1.19622/post-645538

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So comes out the EQ tools:

index.php

@amirm I just wanted to say that I tried this EQ with my HE4XX (which is very similar to the HE400i) and it sounds fantastic. Without EQ, the HE4XX sounds a bit anemic, a bit tizzy and a bit hazy with unnatural timbre, with your EQ it sounds much more natural and clean, more impactful and while still bright doesn't have any of that tizzyness. I find this to be good validation of your closed loop method of measuring and listening (which is something I try myself, but only with the much less accurate MiniDSP E.A.R.S.).

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
do you have a set of HE400's? If so, how do they compare to the K371s?

I'm not @watchnerd but I have the K371 and HE4XX (for all intents and purposes the same as the HE400i). Comfort wise the HE4XX wins by virtue of having more room for my ears and not getting sweaty since it's an open back. Build quality wise the HE4XX is quite different from the HE400i, but I'm satisfied with it. I actually had to send the K371 to be serviced because one of the sliders wouldn't stay put (note that Harman doesn't cover shipping costs even for warranty repairs). Sound wise, without EQ the K371 sounds more natural, has better extended and more impactful bass and doesn't have the tizzy treble of the HE4XX. With EQ they're much closer.

One thing to keep in mind is that the K371 is much easier to drive. My Qudelix 5K doesn't have enough power on the single ended (2 Vrms) output for the HE4XX when I'm using EQ. The K371 is no problem.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This started as a great thread and then well and truly went off-track.
@watchnerd do you have a set of HE400's? If so, how do they compare to the K371s?

Yes, I do.

With no EQ, they sound very different.

I find it easier to get a good ear seal with the HE400i than with the K371. But I also find the K371 more comfortable over time because my ears breathe better.

I like the cables that came with the K371 much better.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@pwjazz is the build quality better for the HE400i compared to the HE4xx? I just purchased a pair of HE4xx yesterday and was wondering

Top Bottom