• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400i Review (planar headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks, do you think I would do a good thing to change the pads with those of the K712, or would that be just bullshit? is something you do on headphones, or you risk distorting the headphones too much and all the resulting problems that you might have, perhaps for example. not to end up with equalizations

less advanced in the sense of a "smaller" soundstage? however I would use the eq at this point, hoping to get the same result.
Definitely don't use K712 pads on the K702 - the K712 pads are not angled and you'll ruin the soundstage of the headphone (I know from different pads on my K702). Have a look in the other thread which I linked earlier (your thread), I recommended you some suitable pads there. Hello People, can we please stop cluttering up this HE400i thread with off topic (the established members here should know better) - I'm only going against this for this post as I think it's important that people don't read it and think it's a good idea to use K712 pads on K702, it's not - it would ruin the soundstage & also invalidate any EQ's that are available for the K702. Please no more off topic, please continue discussion in the guy's thread he created:

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't get the Anniversary Edition, it doesn't have angled pads if I recall correctly. Therefore the Anniversary Edition is likely to have a worse soundstage than the standard K702 and therefore be a worse headphone for gaming.
I think that's the standard K702. It doesn't say anything about 65th Anniversary in there does it......even though I don't speak Italian! Yeah, it's definitely the standard K702, you can't miss the blue accents on the earcups that are on the 65th Anniversary Edition........so you've definitely got the standard K702 in those pics, so that's the one to buy.

EDIT: how did you get it for 63 Euros? That's a very good price! It's a new one right, not used, not 2nd hand.

EDIT #2: tell me over in your own thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/headphones-with-better-soundstage-from-400-500€-downward.35148/ ), as we've probably cluttered up this HE400i review thread with enough off topic since the last posts where we stopped comparing it to the HE400i.
You mean like these that have zero Hifiman content either? ;-) but point taken

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ehabheikal

Nice, good to see this one reviewed! @amirm , about setting distortion threshold at 40dB, what is your thinking behind choosing 40dB, it seems that 40dB is often below 1% distortion in the frequency response?

I was expecting distortion to look across the frequency range more like the low distortion seen in the bass, but a few issues in distortion further up the frequency range. I'm thinking it's possible that the HE4XX would have less distortion issues than the 400i 2016 version, because the frequency sweep is a bit more "regular" with less of the more extreme dips in the treble. Also I've seen postings of HE4XX distortion being low across the board. Having said this, I have noticed that Amir's measurements for all the headphones he's tested so far seem to be showing somewhat higher distortion than measurements I've seen over on diyaudioheaven and praps some other places.....so it makes me think which ones are the most relevant & why the discrepancies? Could it be explained in equipment differences? Just thinking it through.

I've got an order put in for the Hifiman HE4XX which is the Drop version of the Hifiman HE400i, so I'm hoping it has less distortion than the sample that Amir measured here, but I'm pleased to see the generally positive rating after EQ in the listening tests.

Regarding spaciousness/soundstage, I was/am hoping that the HE4XX has a better soundstage than the HE400i measured here, over on RTINGS I remember seeing the HE4XX having a better soundstage rating the HE400i, and I remember the HE4XX getting one of the best soundstage ratings, higher than AKG K702 for instance (on RTINGS). Thing is, I guess we don't really know how accurate RTings rating of soundstage really is.....they did put Senn 800S right at the top for that parameter, so that marries at least with the 800s reputation & also the listening test by Amir on his glowing take of the soundstage of the 800s.

One thing's for sure, I'm gonna find it interesting when I get my HE4XX when I'm listening for soundstage & distortion....I retain some positivity, I think it'll be better on both fronts than the HE400i measured in this review, but I can't be sure, ha!
I just checked the he4xx was not on rtings, only the 400i.
I do think the 4xx and 400i are nott exactly the same sonically but verrrrrrry close

solderdude

Grand Contributor
02 green = HE400SE, red = HE400i (2020).png

also there is a slight difference in efficiency... above level matched (and 1/12oct smoothed), below not level matched (so volume control in the same position) and not smoothed

400i-vs-400se.png

I don't think HE400SE and HE4XX are exactly the same either.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just checked the he4xx was not on rtings, only the 400i.
I do think the 4xx and 400i are nott exactly the same sonically but verrrrrrry close
Yeah, good point. I don't know where I got that from, unless they tested it one time and have removed the test results for some reason, but I probably just made an error. Nowadays I'd expect soundstage potential of HE4XX and HE400i to be virtually identical, as the physical design of the earcups & pads is the same or very similar. (that was an old post of mine you quoted from December 2020)

ManuCV

I am rediscovering these headphones after using others for quite some time. They sound incredible for the price, much better than I remembered. However I still have the original cable which is awful. Is anyone using the HE400i with a balanced cable? Or not really worth getting a balanced one for these?

Ruben

Please, if someone can tell me how to adapt this parametric eq from amirm, to UAPP android app that have 6 band eq parametric. I can't find anything about. Thank you vey much!!!! I use Hifiman 400i with Fiio BTR7.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Please, if someone can tell me how to adapt this parametric eq from amirm, to UAPP android app that have 6 band eq parametric. I can't find anything about. Thank you vey much!!!! I use Hifiman 400i with Fiio BTR7.
Is your 400i the 2016 version with suspension strap headband?
71F4cywq71L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ruben

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-21 at 20.04.01_70994bdd.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-21 at 20.04.01_70994bdd.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 37

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think is 2020 version
And also I observed that UAPP have 10 band parametric EQ, but I don't know how to translate Roon EQ into UAPP EQ format.
For uapp, same settings parameters as roon, just use analog bell instead of peak.

Ruben

Attachments

• EQ Hifiman 400i  2020 -amirm.jpg
    EQ Hifiman 400i 2020 -amirm.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    231.2 KB · Views: 32

staticV3

Master Contributor
I think is 2020 version
Ah yes that's the 2020 version, which requires slightly different EQ if you want Harman.

I've converted both Amir's Roon preset as well as oratory's PEQ settings into Toneboosters EQ presets for UAPP and attached them below.
You can import them using the "Import presets" function in the Toneboosters window:
Screenshot_20231021-211414_USB Audio Player PRO.png

Please try the oratory preset as well as Amir's settings are not very precise (Black is with Amir's settings):
Hifiman HE400i Dashboard.png

Attachments

• HE400i 2020 UAPP PEQ Presets.zip
    980 bytes · Views: 36

Ruben

Ah yes that's the 2020 version, which requires slightly different EQ if you want Harman.

I've converted both Amir's Roon preset as well as oratory's PEQ settings into Toneboosters EQ presets for UAPP and attached them below.
You can import them using the "Import presets" function in the Toneboosters window:
View attachment 320454

Please try the oratory preset as well as Amir's settings are not very precise (Black is with Amir's settings):
View attachment 320455
Waw !!! Thank you very much.
I'll try both and get back

Ruben

Waw !!! Thank you very much.
I'll try both and get back
I tried these settings for a few hours and I really feel an improvement. My BRT7 is set to High Gain. With Low gain seems unpowered and anemic sound.
I would like to try the parameter settings on the AKG 702 as well. Could you please send me the settings? thank you very much

staticV3

Master Contributor
I would like to try the parameter settings on the AKG 702 as well. Could you please send me the settings? thank you very much
Attached below is oratory's K702 preset converted to UAPP.

BTW, if you want to easily compare the sound between stock and EQed, then here's how to do that:
- UAPP->Settings->Volume->USB Volume control->Software volume control
-open Toneboosters EQ, load the preset, disable Auto gain in the Toneboosters menu, and set the Output Level to zero (you have to pause the music to change it):
Screenshot_20231104-111930_USB Audio Player PRO.png
-set the software volume to what was previously set as the Output Level in Toneboosters. In this case -5.5dB:
Screenshot_20231104-111950_USB Audio Player PRO.png
Now you can toggle the Parametric EQ on and off and you will hear the difference in sound, without a change in volume.

Attachments

• AKG K702 oratory1990 PDF Preset.zip
    530 bytes · Views: 22
Last edited:

Alb_listens

These are my headphones!
Bought 'em in 2017, first hifi headphones, what a big step forward I made:D

I find now difficult listening to music on "cheaper" headphones

Top Bottom