• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-R9 Clipping with Balanced Cable

SparkyBoy

I just received my Hifiman HE-R9, I ordered these since I wanted closed back headphones that were light and worked with the same cable since I already have a HE560 v4. I'm using an ifi Zen CAN amp and noticed if I use the balanced cable the headphones start to clip around 11 o'clock so they sit around 10 which is sometimes a bit too low. I don't have any issues with the single-ended cable and am able to crank the volume up when needed.

Maybe someone here can explain to me why it's clipping. I assume this is the expected behavior when using a balanced cable at high volume with dynamic headphones? The HE560 v4 doesn't have any issues with the cable.

Edit: Maybe I should return these and just get the Aeon RT which is the same weight.
Edit 2: Just read the manual and it appears I need a single-sided 3.5mm balanced cable

Last edited:

Blorg

You can't use a regular dual entry balanced cable with these as the two sides are wired together in the headphone. So you'll be shorting the amp with a balanced cable (and could damage it). Dual sided is single ended only. As you say you can use a single-ended 3.5mm TRRS balanced cable. I tried this myself and noticed the same problem.

This one has reviews saying it works with the HE-R9:

D

Deleted member 68540

Thank you, @Blorg. It works with the HE-R9 (I had other cables by OpenHeart for other headphones already, and they are great).

But I have tested and regular 1x1 3.5mm TRS cables also appear to work with the HE-R9, so I am not sure what the balanced cable is doing here?

Top Bottom