• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-6 + Sonos Amp

leonroy

Forum Donor
I have a pair of HE-6 headphones, they're notoriously insensitive (83.5db). Many users drive their HE-6's with a speaker amp. Hifiman even sell an adapter for this explicit purpose here:
http://hifiman.com/products/detail/84

Unfortunately my gigantic circa 90s Yamaha amp finally bit the dust and I wanted to replace it with something small and extremely convenient with everything integrated.

Does anyone see any issue with a class D all-in-one like the new Sonos Amp driving these?

garbulky

Major Contributor
You may want to check out the Emotiva A-100. This one has a direct drive mode which outputs tremendous power to headphones.

cjfrbw

I imagine that's 83.5 db per milliwatt by the standard headphone spec. That would be over 100db at least at a tenth of a watt (100 milliwatts). That's a lot less sensitive than a lot of headphones, but still much more efficient than speakers. A couple of watt amp should do, so I doubt the Sonos is underpowered.

OP
L

leonroy

Forum Donor
thanks @garbulky that's a good shout, will look for a UK distributor of Emotiva, can't believe the value for money they provide on all their stuff.

@cjfrbw I don't suppose any of the snobbery against Class D is warranted anymore? ie. even for headphones...?

cjfrbw

thanks @garbulky

@cjfrbw I don't suppose any of the snobbery against Class D is warranted anymore? ie. even for headphones...?

I don't know, some people like particular class D amplifiers. Let your ears be your guide.

Darwin

I have the new Sonos Amp. How are you expecting to connect headphones to it?

Top Bottom