• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-6 Review (Headphone)

Anmol

Forum Donor
You'll know when you hear it. The bass kinda is just crackling and not there anymore.

For versions: "v1" is the normal 1800USD retail and "v2" the adorama version (glossy, blue) AFAIK. The driver should be the same, difference is in the headband and paintjob
Use track diamond on sole of her shoes alternate version by paul simon. There is just vocals and bass guitar. So no other instruments for most part
To compare, follow bass and look for sort of tearing sound ....

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
What I don't see - and probably I'm missing something: Why is the A90 distorting at lower volume than A30pro on the He6se?

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had that combination. If you listen loud (I wouldn't consider myself a very loud listener) the bass will distort while still at bearable levels. Strangely I had more luck with the A30pro. But it's not optimal. Still looking for a decent amp
Are you using the A90 balanced in/out?

At 38 minutes, there is a discussion of correcting 1-3.5kHz and improving instrument separation at possible the cost of tonality. Is this applicable in speakers as well or is it isolated to headphones?

Eddy

I could get comfortable loudness out of RME. So no, I would not go to A90 unless you listen louder than me which is doubtful. :)
I can confirm what amirm said:
I can drive my HE-6 with my RME ADI-2-DAC FS @ Hi-Power setting
with -18 dB at medium level,
with -12 dB at loud level, and
with -6 dB hat very loud level (almost painful level). So there is still a little headroom of 6dB.

So, RME ADI-2-DAC FS has sufficient power for the HE-6.

cursive

Forum Donor
You'll know when you hear it. The bass kinda is just crackling and not there anymore.

For versions: "v1" is the normal 1800USD retail and "v2" the adorama version (glossy, blue) AFAIK. The driver should be the same, difference is in the headband and paintjob

I do believe there is slight differences to the driver, at least they look slightly different. musicbudd-he-6se-e1595284656522.jpg20200720_225806.jpg

They used to have this kind of crossbar across the middle? Not sure if that was for extra support, and some used to have a kind of quarter circle foam piece that somehow affected the sound.

What I don't see - and probably I'm missing something: Why is the A90 distorting at lower volume than A30pro on the He6se?

Can I ask what DAC you're using ? The A90 should be plenty of power in high gain balanced for the new HE-6SE v2

cursive

Forum Donor
rme adi2 dac fs
Do you get the same distortion just using the Adi2 to power the headphones? For what it's worth I have the Adorama HE-6se paired with the SMSL SP400 and though it's lower gain than the A90, I've never heard the distortion issue you're describing.

Anmol

Forum Donor
I can confirm that he6sev2 from adorama can easily be driven from archel 2.5 . On high gain, 50% volume is more than enough for me. Any increase beyond that is just painful. Xlr input required and my amp Input is via sabaj d5 using xlr output.
https://geshelli.com/archel2-5-pro
This little amp cost ~US$180.
There is no weakness in sound- notes are full bodied with proper high notes too. Firm mids.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
So. Sweet Leaf, ADI2 maxes out at 88dba measured inside the cup. Intra Venus goes until 94 dba, the bass is slightly distorted. I think when I was testing the a90 (and adi2) my he6se was completely open. Since then I did experiment with some dampening, so the result might differ.

Eddy

As I said, I can bring my HE-6 (6 screws) with my RME ADI-2-DAC FS to a volume that is definitely loud enough. The horizontal level meters on the display shows a value of at least -12 dB even at very load volumes. So, the pure volume is certainly not a problem for me.

But I just wonder if a more powerful amplifier could improve the quality even further. For example, Headphonics reports:

"The HE6 is legendary as one of the hardest to drive headphones out there. Rated at 50Ω and just 83.5dB SPL you needed some serious current to drive them. With the exact same specs, the HE6SE displays the same carnivorous attitude towards power.

Underpower the HE6SE and you will find the dynamic range to drop, a loss of definition or low-end presence, and a harsher treble performance. The recommended rating is about 2W upwards per channel so anything less will leave you with a presentation that is too bright and with not enough depth."
https://headfonics.com/hifiman-he6se-review/2/

The RME ADI-2-DAC FS delivers "only" about 1.5W @ 50 Ohms. RME claims in their manual: "No audible hum, noise or distortion, fully transparent and crystal clear sound at any volume setting, for any personal taste in any application."

What is your opinion? Is it worth to continue my journey for better sound?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One does not apply or push power to a headphone.
A headphone draws current depending on the applied voltage. Regardless if one has 0.1W or 100W of headroom left.
When an amp can not deliver enough current the output voltage will clip.
50 ohm is not very low resistance.

The HE6SE, HE560, HE4, HE5 and HE6 simply have a low voltage efficiency. This means they require a higher voltage than most other headphones.
Not many headphone amplifiers can deliver the required voltage for these headphones.

Having more (never used) output voltage and current available then you will draw won't make any difference with these headphones that have a flat impedance.

The HE6SE is 65ohm and is measured at 80.1dB/mW (92dB/V). This was measured with noise between 300Hz and 3kHz so can be a bit 'off'.
RME can reach 10V so about 110dB SPL peak at full volume which is quite loud already (do not confuse 110dB SPL peak with 110dBA average)

jbfilho

Hi! I just got an opportunity to buy a 6-Screw HE6. Can you guys tell me if a DX7 Pro would be able to power it up properly? Thanks in advance!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1.6W in balanced is enough for it.
The question is what you mean with properly.

jbfilho

1.6W in balanced is enough for it.
The question is what you mean with properly.

I use to listen at 80db max. I know that it can drag a little bit more power dynamically depending on the musical content. I also equalize all my headphones to the harman curve, so some attenuation is required (-5.2dB in this case). Do you think it's gonna be enough in this use case scenario?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How do you know you listen to 80dB max. ?

If that were the case you would only need 0.3V (2mW) and would be able to drive it with any phone with the volume set in a low setting.
Most likely you will be listening to 80 dBA average so probably having 95dB SPL peak without knowing it ;)
For that you would need about 2V (0.1W)

jbfilho

How do you know you listen to 80dB max. ?

Based on the output estimation provided by my Es100 (90 to 97dB SPL). I know that is a rough estimation just to give you guys an idea about how loud it goes on my daily usage.

If that were the case you would only need 0.3V (2mW) and would be able to drive it with any phone with the volume set in a low setting.
Most likely you will be listening to 80 dBA average so probably having 95dB SPL peak without knowing it ;)
For that you would need about 2V (0.1W)

You're right. I would meant dBA. Thanks your help!

Attachments

• 1622482235208.png
    1622482235208.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom