• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-6 Review (Headphone)

rcstevensonaz

Rightly or wrongly, there are two thread titles/subsequent posts, that stop me cold from going further:

The first is 'musicality'..

The second is 'tubes'...:)
Be brave, dear Soul. I believe those preferences (opinions) were presented as such; no science has been harmed in the creation of this thread... ;)

I have been listening to my set of HE6SE V2 ("Adorama Limited Edition", whatever that's supposed to mean... pretty much that they are the sole proprietors offering them). I picked them up for $649 as Adorama consistently put them on sale every other week for a couple of months from December to February. Regularly they are listed at $1799 so the discount is insane. I can't imagine spending the MSRP, however, the "sale" price is a fair amount. I have definitely been enjoying them and find them to be an overall improvement on the Ananda. This becomes even clearer when A-B-ing the 2 of them. It's also nice to be able to actually put to use the power that the Topping A90 is able to produce. It is definitely a bit of an odd duck as far as efficiency is concerned, especially in today's current headphone market where the average set of cans is 20-30Ω with a sensitivity greater than 100dB SPL/mW. The specs for the HE6SE V2's rate the resistance and the sensitivity as the same as the V1's which obviously share the specs of the HE-6 (50Ω, 83.5dB SPL/mW). I am not sure if the tuning is identical but it would seem that at least that would be one of the differentiating factors to make it a "special edition". The build is really the only tangible thing I can point out. It is very much like the latest rendition of the HE400i 2020 or the he500. It has adopted the single padded band and has foregone the head strap. Overall it's quite comfortable however the fact that it is built as well as looks so similar to sets that cost less than $200 is another reason that I just couldn't justify paying anywhere the $1799 msrp.

jonfitch

This is why everyone and their mother is making a flagship headphone these days. The profit margins are way higher than compared with speakers.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the HE6SE, nearly all comments I read suggested using older "vintage" solid state amps; I don't recall suggestions of tube amps. Many are happy with the Emotiva BasX (with headphone full power jumper) / mini A-100; others say the Emotiva still doesn't have enough power punch (but no audio measurements to support the claim). {So appreciate the positive comments regarding the use of tube amp}

The HE-Adapter is no longer included with the HE6SEv2 headphones, but it can still be purchased from Hifiman through their direct store—$99 plus shipping. From pictures, the adapter included resistors. But all of the commenters on other forums say there is no value in purchasing the adapter (unless it came for free), and to instead just wire up an adapter cable with 4-pin XLR on one end and Speaker Terminals (e.g. banana plugs, spades, bare wire) on the other; and then directly connect to speaker outputs.
Actually, the HE-Adapter appears to be perenially "out of stock" on Hifimans store, and I ended up buying it from this UK Audio store:

HiFiMAN HE Adaptor - Analogue Seduction

The HE-Adapter is a nice professional metal boxed headphone adapter => speaker terminal -> XLR headphone connector. AFAIK the HE-Adapter was never included with the new Adorama HE6SE V2, but was included with the original HE-6 release because headphone amplifiers of the time didn't provide enough power. As Planars became more popular the industry began offering high power headphone amplifiers, and Hifiman themselves have come out with headphone amplifiers that can drive their high power demanding Planars.

The Emotiva BasX A-100 has been in my "cart" for quite a while now - over a year, but after hearing about the Hifiman Planar affinity for tube amplification, I lost interest in the A-100, and began looking for a good inexpensive Hybrid tube amplifier - a design that brings tube sound and solid-state output together to provide compatibility with Planars and Dynamic headphones with tube pre-amplification.

Here is some information posted on the Hifiman.com website related to the headphones and amp pairing:

Hifiman themselves offered the HE-6 with Hybrid / Tube Amps, followed by an unbalanced SS amp, "The EF6 from Hifiman".

@edahl - Here is some HE-6 vs HE1000 user commentary on selecting an AMP / DAC: "Headphones & portable audio - HIFIMAN.com"

Hifimans top headphone amp is a 300B tube amp: SHANGRI-LA

Hifimans's "budget" Shangri-la is also a tube amp: HIFIMAN SHANGRI-LA jr

Hifiman pairs their Susvara with a tube amp: SUSVARA&EF1000

I started out with Planar headphones with a Sendyaudio Aiva Planar. I found the Planar sound on the Topping A90 wonderful in comparison to my dynamic headphones. Hearing reviewers and owners report a wider sound stage with better dynamics on a tube amplifier, with tubes selected for their own personal sound choice, also encouraged my interest in finding a nice inexpensive Tube / Hybrid amp.

My relatively recent purchase of the Xduoo TA-20 Balanced 12AU7 (pair) Hybrid amplifier provided a welcome surprise, I could hear what the Planar owners and reviewers were gushing about, the Sendyaudio Aiva planar and Sennheiser 598cs both benefited from a wider sound stage and more impactful dynamic sound with a tube hybrid headphone amplifier.

So I went on the search for a good deal on a Sennheiser HD600 series headphone and ended up ordering an HD660s from bhphoto.com, and while I was out there searching - during the Holiday sales - I found the Hifiman HE6SE V2 and Ananda also on sale for large discounts, and I picked those up too.

I've spent most of my time since then listening to music between the HE6SE V2 and the Ananda (what I am listening to right now), and early on going back and forth between the Topping A90 and Xduoo TA-20, and I soon found myself staying with the Xduoo TA-20 and the Planars for all of my listening. :)

Last edited:

edahl

That would be nice, along with testing a Susvara, as those that have A/B'd the Susvara with a HE6SE V2 say there is a small difference, but for the price difference ($6000 vs $1799 => $699 on discount) the HE6SE V2 is "close enough".

How about the HE1000se compared to the Susvara? Have you done or found comparisons between those?
I believe Joshua Valour has some more or less direct comparisons of these.

tential

"Hifiman planars respond well to an overpowered amp connection with greater power capacity than the minimum output required."

What's the scientific basis for this? Slew rate? Something else? How would you measure the "true" power requirement?

This is true of any speaker?

You want more power than the minimum output required.

Literally, I blew the tweeters in my home theater for not having enough power. Extreme case, but I always abide by having way more amp power than necessary.

You can compute the listening volume/amp power by looking at sensitivity of the speaker, assuming it's accurate. For home theater, this is why if you have a high sensitivity speaker like one with a 99 dB, you don't need external amps, but for the normal crap you find everywhere, that's in the 80s,you need more power.

I usually use a calculator online but, the outcome is the same for me, buy big amps, never skimp, I always want to use something power hungry.

I'd go into more depth but I really only know the basics because that's all that's really necessary for me personally. Seems like a relatively basic concept but I'll let someone with more expertise explain it better than I can.

Last edited:

welsh

Thanks @amirm for measuring my HE-6! Believe it or not you actually tested a completely stock HE-6 with the stock cabling.

I did include some reversible mods (pads, microfiber, etc.), that were not applied, with the headphone in case you did want to try them out. They were put together by another modder of headphones to take a little bit off of the treble, as I have some sensitivity to it. In all honesty, I should probably just use equalization instead as you have shown it to work just as well, if not better, than physical mods! I also included an aftermarket adapter for banana plug connections in order to hook them up to a speaker amplifier if you wanted to go down that rabbit hole. As you've shown in your review though, some of the newer higher power headphone amplifiers, which didn't exist at the time that these headphones were released, are now capable of providing them with adequate power. I've used them with lower power speaker amplifiers as well as with the Schiit Magnius in High Gain balanced output without any issues.
I would love some measurements of the current HE6SE... I am tempted to buy them, and hopefully my Topping A90 would suffice, rather than using HifiMan’s resistor unit with my speaker amp.

DarthShader

This is true of any speaker?

You want more power than the minimum output required.

That still makes no sense to me. "Having not enough" isn't "not having way more than needed", especially when looking at a single piece of equipment.

RobS

Forum Donor
@amirm , you say in the HE-6 video that "94db is a little loud but definitely doable", can you provide clarification on what you mean by this? Are you suggesting a sustained 94db at the eardrum is doable? A standard for monitoring in larger rooms is 80-83db, but that's at the listening position and not the eardrum. With 20db dynamic range that should be 103db for peaks, which is not over the top. I just worry about your comments in light of these being headphones.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
I would love some measurements of the current HE6SE... I am tempted to buy them, and hopefully my Topping A90 would suffice, rather than using HifiMan’s resistor unit with my speaker amp.

I had that combination. If you listen loud (I wouldn't consider myself a very loud listener) the bass will distort while still at bearable levels. Strangely I had more luck with the A30pro. But it's not optimal. Still looking for a decent amp

DarthShader

I had that combination. If you listen loud (I wouldn't consider myself a very loud listener) the bass will distort while still at bearable levels. Strangely I had more luck with the A30pro. But it's not optimal. Still looking for a decent amp

By "that combination", do you mean the A90? I was thinking about getting it or the A30pro for my HE6.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would love some measurements of the current HE6SE.
I have one here right now for testing but no idea what version it is. Pending asking the owner, do you want to explain to me the different versions and how to tell them apart?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , you say in the HE-6 video that "94db is a little loud but definitely doable", can you provide clarification on what you mean by this? Are you suggesting a sustained 94db at the eardrum is doable?
Not at mid to high frequencies. In bass, yes, easily tolerable level. See:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's a good way to listen for / check for bass distortion?
Get a super underpowered amp and crank it up. Then you can hear it what it sounds like in the extreme and can better identify it when the level is much lower. Important to distinguish lack of power with headphone itself running out of dynamic range. The latter sounds different but you need a situation to hear that as well to identify it (an amp with ample power and headphone that doesn't have headroom).

In the case of HE-6, if you momentarily turn up the volume to the max, you will hear distinct distortion.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And I'm curious which amp Amir used for his distortion tests (if it was an amp at all).
All measurements including distortion tests are using Topping A90.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
What's a good way to listen for / check for bass distortion?

You'll know when you hear it. The bass kinda is just crackling and not there anymore.

For versions: "v1" is the normal 1800USD retail and "v2" the adorama version (glossy, blue) AFAIK. The driver should be the same, difference is in the headband and paintjob

Last edited:
Top Bottom