• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-560 VS Hifiman Sundara

shot4d

I have a doubt.​

I want to upgrade and my budget is 350 dollars and I don't know which one to choose: the Hifiman Sundara with a value of 300 dollars or the HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium with a value of 340 dollars. Searching on Youtube I found this video:

there are several versus and the Hifiman He560 V4 really sounds spectacular, almost identical to the ananda, but the sundara is not in the video. I listen to a lot of heavy metal, indie rock, instrumental and classic rock music in high fidelity in .flac in 24 bit 96 khz. I like that it has enough sound space and for gaming and movies with Dolby Atmos.​

My question is which of the two is better? Is it worth spending 40 dollars more for the HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium or is the Sundara better?​

I also have another doubt, I have the smsl sp200 amplifier, I just need a good DAC to update these Hifiman and I found this S.M.S.L Sanskrit MK II dac, that dac would be perfect to make a good union with the smsl sp200 and give an excellent sound for these hifiman ? or what dac do you recommend me to buy?​

Note: does the smsl sp200 have enough power to give 100% volume to these hifiman?​

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These are sidegrades, not upgrades.
Slight differences in sound and looks.
Not really possible to tell which one you would prefer. That may be different for different people so person A may claim Sundara is the best or the 560 and others will recommend you other types.

Good DACs are plenty and also range from budget to expensive. Buy one that has the desired functionality and looks out of the pool of at least 'good' rated DACs.

SP200 has way.... way... more than enough power to blow out your eardrums.

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can't help you with DAC 'sound'.
I have never been able to tell differences between similar measuring and above all level-matched DACs (and directly compared quite a few) that is with proper filters selected (I am officially DAC-deaf) but there are plenty of golden-eared people who have opinions about DACs.
Just not me.

OP
S

shot4d

I can't help you with DAC 'sound'.
I have never been able to tell differences between similar measuring and above all level-matched DACs (and directly compared quite a few) that is with proper filters selected (I am officially DAC-deaf) but there are plenty of golden-eared people who have opinions about DACs.
Just not me.
Then I'll go for the sundara.
I don't know much about dacs.
I recently had the d10s topping and didn't really like the sound of the ess chip and returned it.
I don't know how the akm chip is together with the xmos in sound, if it is a good sound quality.
But as I said before, I am not an expert in dacs, which one do you recommend that has an excellent sound for the HIFIMAN sundara?

Top Bottom