• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE-560 V4 Review (Planar Magnetic Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 54 44.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 14.9%

• Total voters

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- EQ engines are not transparent, period! they mess with fine detail phase and timing, even the best super-duper digital ones.
I know this is contrary to common misbelief, but any DSP takes something away.
But that doesn't mean that the headphone with an extra EQ point or two is automatically worse than the one without, which is what you seemed to imply.
- Not that relevant here, but EQ also can lead to headphone going to distortion, cure is reducing the total level using a preamp, but then you might get into power and volume issues. Fortunately as mentioned before, the 560's distortion is quite low.
What do you mean it doesn't matter??? Sundara needs more deep sub bass EQ to implement the Harman Target, and it has significantly higher distortion. Didn't you look at the review data?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Poor Poor Amir!
Bold letters do not cut it for some.
@amirm says it on every headphone review:
Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C.
*** Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable ***

so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests.

*** If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely (EXTREMELY) wrong! ***

The last line just kills me.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you are in the wrong forum. You can go to HeadFi and share your today's feelings and beliefs.
Delusional wanna be scientists!
Can't read data, don't understand charts.
they are the worst.
sorry for expressing my feelings, perhaps I could put it in a graph.

Luke Lemke

Hey guys. Is there any reason one would get the HD-560 V4 as opposed to the cheaper, HE400SE? Maybe spatial qualities are superior in the HE-560? I will use EQ on both...

Axchisler

Really, no-one? Ok I'll go out on a limb here- Bigger soundstage, better imaging, more pixie dust on top, higher bass response, cleaner, better looking, more comfortable. Did I miss anything?

Axchisler

"amirm" my bad, I must have missed this - "Overall, I can't recommend the HE560 V4 at its retail price. Fully discounted it is not bad but there are better choices from the company at even lower costs (HE400SE). Still equalization does it a lot of good and with it, I can recommend it."

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive had both the HE560 and He400se. The big difference to me was the HE400se was good on a phone, but didn't scale to sound any better when connected to a good stack. The HE560 requires a good amp and sounds better with bass and sound stage (enough depth for gaming, unlike the Sundara which is really wide but really shallow). Trying it with a Soundblaster AE-5 just for kicks, the HE560 treble was grainy and bass MIA. If you're looking for a low power headphone, the AKG K371Pro I had last week was way nicer than the HE400se since it had good bass response and I couldn't get it to sound any better with EQ. On the amp it was nicer, but on the Motorola Power G phone I wasn't complaining, really nice. The bluetooth version wasn't as good, like they tuned it for battery life, instead of the original fun factor. Also it has less sound leakage than the HE400se and I'd actually wear the AKG out in public of the two. If you want the planar magnetic sound and want to use it on a laptop or phone, the HE400se is the best planar for the money.

RTI

Recently got my HE-560 v4 - first experience with planars (used to Sennheiser products, old HD-595, PC37x). Reading through the thread and the actual review, I understand a good headphone amp with a hefty output is needed/recommended. I've gotten a Topping MX-3, it outputs ~250mV@32Ohms, (from the article the headphones would need 420 for 92dB). The thing is, the mx-3 drives the headphones to pretty high levels and I can't hear any distortion. Would I benefit from a dedicated DAC-AMP combo (looking at the DX3-pro+). Kind of a dilemma here...

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why did Amir have 2 peak bands in the subbass region (20hz & 37hz) instead of 1 and just pump the number up?
Can anyone who's well-versed in DSP explain it to me? I find it curious.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why did Amir have 2 peak bands in the subbass region (20hz & 37hz) instead of 1 and just pump the number up?
Can anyone who's well-versed in DSP explain it to me? I find it curious.
If you've got eq software that shows the curve (like Roon does for Amir) build that curve both ways. Using the 2 filters compounded like amir did, then a 7.8db q1 peak at 20hz and compare the 2 expected response lines. I suspect with this one it doesn't make much difference, but on others you'd see a lumpy slope.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you've got eq software that shows the curve (like Roon does for Amir) build that curve both ways. Using the 2 filters compounded like amir did, then a 7.8db q1 peak at 20hz and compare the 2 expected response lines. I suspect with this one it doesn't make much difference, but on others you'd see a lumpy slope.
I see. I may just try that out in Roon and see how much of a difference does it make. I have a habit of using just one peak band or a low shelf boost in the subbass region, even though I think some sources say it's easy to use it unwisely with low shelf (and high shelf) :D

newmedia

I got my pair from Adorama, wood cups with 2.5mm connectors, came with 1/4" and XLR cables, but in a cheap cloth lined box compared to what my old HE 400i cans came in. Purchased May of 2018 for $319.00.
WTF version is mine???!!! o_O
V2

Top Bottom