• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN HE-560 V3 vs Sundara at the same price?

arconreef

I have someone who will sell me a very good condition HE-560 V3 for $350, which is the same price that the Sundara is available for on Amazon.

My first big HiFi purchase was the Grado SR325e because at the time I was fixated on rock and metal. My tastes have broadened in the meantime, and the limitations of the SR325e have become very apparent to me. The Grado is a very colored headset that doesn't measure as well as others in the same price range. Now I'm looking for the exact opposite. Prior to receiving the offer for the HE-560 I was already looking at the Sundara because my understanding is that it's a very neutral, uncolored, and detail focused headset. Is the HE-560 comparably neutral? How does the detail, distortion, imaging, soundstage, etc. compare? I know that the HE-560 has better sub-base frequency response. Other than that I'm in the dark.

If it matters my audio chain consists of a Modi 3 plugged directly into my motherboard via a TOSLINK cable and an original Vali that is definitely due for an upgrade sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

bogart

Forum Donor
Curious what you decided! I’m also moving away from the same Grados and am staring at a pair of Sundaras mostly convinced they’re the right pick.

OP
A

arconreef

Curious what you decided! I’m also moving away from the same Grados and am staring at a pair of Sundaras mostly convinced they’re the right pick.
I actually ended up getting the chance to try both on my JDS Labs Atom that I bought at the same time, and the Sundara is far superior. Details that I could barely make out listening with the HE-560 are crystal clear listening with the Sundara. The only disadvantage is that the Sundara is a bit weak in the sub-bass department compared to the HE-560, though the bass that is there has more texture and detail than I ever would have thought was possible. The 1-2 micron NsD diaphragm in the Sundara really is a technological marvel.

I will say though that the Sundara are not very forgiving of poorly mastered albums, which is pretty common in the rock/metal genres. I listen to less metal than I used to as a result.

bogart

Forum Donor
So happy to hear this! It was enough to push me over the edge on my purchase, so I guess I have you to thank/blame. These seem like a tailor made product to help folks like us detach from Grado and move to something with a more objective sound.

Interestingly, one of the tracks that sold me on what these can do is a (prog) metal track from Plini - “Electric Sunrise” ... I guess I should send compliments to his studio crew :)

deafenears

Forum Donor
Sundara vs HE560

Is that V1, V2, or V3?

I've read that there are differences between the various revisions. e.g. one post from https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1369#post-14718513
HiFiMan v1: SMC connectors, backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, basically unavailable these days.
HiFiMan v2: 2.5mm connectors, no backplate, wooden cups, plastic yokes, slightly revoiced, about $300 in the US.
Adorama v2/v3: 3.5mm connectors, no backplate, plastic cups, metal yokes, major revoicing (according to many), price varies but around $300 on sale. Differences between these two very close models detailed in a post below.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not yet for Arya nor Eligia.
No idea when I am going to measure them though.
Swamped at the moment.
Arya has a +5dB treble peak at 10kHz (can be fixed) compared to similar models.

v2 HE560 (official dealer) measured in 2018

Top Bottom